O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T Sustainability and all that shite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Bitd there used to be a very black early website which advised saving the earth by killing a load of people and then yourself. IIRC it advised eating your victims to save the planet instead of eating livestock, and had full instructions on how to dress the carcass and prepare the cuts of meat.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Yay, its never ending :cheers:

:roll:

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:33 pm

This war on plastics on the beeb is frightening shit - catch it on plus1 or on player.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:09 pm

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:39 am

$10,000 prize up for grabs Brains for Brine Challenge

https://newsroom.theredsea.sa/the-red-s ... -challenge

”Desalination is an extraordinary technology that has brought potable water to millions and helped advance regions that were previously dry. However, the waste product of desalination is brine, and there is no adequate solution available to minimize its impact on the environment,” said John Pagano, CEO of The Red Sea Development Company (TRSDC). “TRSDC has pledged to help create technological solutions to environmental problems. The launch of the Brains for Brine Challenge is an example of our determination to set a new standard in sustainable development.”

Applicants have until 1st August 2019 to submit their proposals. Five winners of the competition will present their solutions at Amsterdam International Water Week, where up to three prize winners will be eligible for a first prize of USD 10,000 each.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:53 am

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:43 am

Nestle creates wrapper that degrades in the sea within six months

Although a step in the right direction, we should be preventing them getting in to the sea in the first place.

Incidentally, last week I called into MacDonald's and they are now providing paper straws instead of plastic. I was quite pleased about this, but they just don't feel right, no idea what it is but the drink seemed to taste different.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:44 am

The wax on the paper maybe?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:55 am

Yeah the McDonald’s thing seems to come under the definition of noble idea, but don’t stop the research just yet. I’ve always had a bit of a phobia of having wooden lollipop sticks in my mouth, so a paper straw in only a step or two up on that for me :lol:
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:19 am

All this shit comes under the heading of massively rethinking the nature of consumption. You want a straw? Buy a robust one and carry it with you, or don't have a fucking straw - same as coffee keep-cups.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:03 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:All this shit comes under the heading of massively rethinking the nature of consumption. You want a straw? Buy a robust one and carry it with you, or don't have a fucking straw - same as coffee keep-cups.

My lad, 15, has a stainless steel straw and won't use plastic ones.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Ponte wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:All this shit comes under the heading of massively rethinking the nature of consumption. You want a straw? Buy a robust one and carry it with you, or don't have a fucking straw - same as coffee keep-cups.

Bang on :thumbl:

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Ponte wrote:

Until Plod classify them as a dangerous weapon!
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Ponte wrote:

This used to be the kind of cokehead accessory folks had in seventies America, innit?

(I'm sure he's not on the chang Ponte, for clarity.)

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:52 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Ponte wrote:

This used to be the kind of cokehead accessory folks had in seventies America, innit?

(I'm sure he's not on the chang Ponte, for clarity.)

The nerdy little fucker barely leaves the house so I'd be surprised.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Ponte wrote:

Bought 8 of these only this week, McDonalds shit paper ones is the main catalyst really but also the Mrs always moans when I go to the bar as I refuse to get her a straw because plastic (baby steps, its better than nowt).

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:30 pm

Just had a look on ebay at metal straws and they are surprisingly cheap.

Also had a think about the paper straws and I think it is the flow rate that makes the difference, as they are not smooth inside it slows down (ever so slightly, but noticeably) the speed of the movement of the liquid. A quick and easy fix for this would be to line them with plastic.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:36 pm

OWETB wrote:
Also had a think about the paper straws and I think it is the flow rate that makes the difference, as they are not smooth inside it slows down (ever so slightly, but noticeably) the speed of the movement of the liquid. A quick and easy fix for this would be to line them with plastic.

:lol:

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:48 pm

OWETB wrote:Just had a look on ebay at metal straws and they are surprisingly cheap.

Friction loss, init.
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”