YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Yeboah

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Chieftain626 wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
Me too, the championship is awful.

Why bother then?

Just wait till we get promoted if that ever happens. Then you can tell everyone your a Leeds fan. In the time being just watch premier league games like Burnley Vs Bournemouth.

Can’t help where you are from.

Yeboah

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 06, 2019 1:38 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
I'm sure shef United supporters are lauding wilder. I was actually very impressed with him but he let himself down with comments after they got promoted.

Disagree about the value for money.

Wilders comments were spot on.

Massive salary brings expectations that so far haven’t been met.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:Every time somebody fouls an opponent they are cheating. Everytime you appeal for a throw that you know isn't yours it's cheating.

Where do you draw the line?

Agree to disagree re pontus.

Cheating has to be deliberate or pre-planned imo.

Draw the line...?

Taking over a game from the ref. when no need?

Letting forest score another goal when our equaliser was handball?

Missing the pen against QPR, when it wasn’t handball.?

Remember I’m not the one saying he’s morally untouchable, completely free of corruption, always does the right thing etc.

It’s a nonsense point of view when you look at what’s happened this year.

Cheating is breaking the rules.

You seem to be arguing against something I haven't even said.

I don't agree with the situation against villa. Personally think he wanted to avoid negative publicity after the situation earlier in the season.

Don't see the relevance of the other points.

If Bielsa is some wonderful moral guardian of the club and the rules then why didn’t he do something a la villa for the other stuff that’s happened this year?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon May 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Yeboah wrote:@phil

My view will shift with achievement (or not) , again its very binary ...... win or lose.

Your point re Maximus backs my point in that he fought as he did and he won...(doing it the right way) , if he’d fought well and being slain first time out, you wouldn’t be talking about him now.

Not sure comparing fighting to the best sports coach that’s ever lived is relevant anyway, but each to their own.

Your opinion on MB doing nothing wrong is fine, but for me the facts speak otherwise. And whilst yours might be a popular view amongst Lufc fans, in football more broadly it would be the minority position. If you were allowed to watch other teams sessions, you wouldn’t need to do it from a path outside the ground!

Competitive wise, Wilder has done more with less, not sure with Farke.

He hasn’t had top jobs because he doesn’t win things, it’s not rocket science. Even West Ham turned him down a while back.

We could afford more as a club if we weren’t paying the manager so much!

Agree Wilder has done a great job, if you read back on this forum you will see I've been impressed by the way they play since they came to ER and schooled us last season. This season he's managed to build on that rather than see if fade away - he deserves huge credit for the job he's done. I don't fully* agree he's done more with less though, he's built that team, they're his players and he's kept them together/added to it for over 3 years. Essentially they're Grayson's Leeds** except rather than rip it after missing play-offs they've stayed the course.

As for what MB has/hasn't done wrong, I'm sticking the binary stance within the rules, I thought you might like that. He didn't break any rules, the fact he was punished for not breaking any rules was ludicrous but it was better for our season to not fight it.

*Undeniably they have, they had a smaller wage bill and spent less on players last season, I expect that'll still be the case when this season's accounts are published. But the associated context is worthy of note IMO. I do think the value of consistency in a team sport is often understated and I'm fully prepared to accept the level of consistency Bielsa has benefited from is a factor in this season's improvement.
**I'm aware this doesn't fully work, we made a lot of signings when we came up but the core was consistent.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon May 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Yeboah wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:
I'm sure shef United supporters are lauding wilder. I was actually very impressed with him but he let himself down with comments after they got promoted.

Disagree about the value for money.

Wilders comments were spot on.

Massive salary brings expectations that so far haven’t been met.

Wilder showed a lack of class. He won the battle on the field where it counts but just had to follow it up for a cheap laugh.

So you thought bringing in bielsa was a guarantee of promotion?

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon May 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Yeboah wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
Cheating has to be deliberate or pre-planned imo.

Draw the line...?

Taking over a game from the ref. when no need?

Letting forest score another goal when our equaliser was handball?

Missing the pen against QPR, when it wasn’t handball.?

Remember I’m not the one saying he’s morally untouchable, completely free of corruption, always does the right thing etc.

It’s a nonsense point of view when you look at what’s happened this year.

Cheating is breaking the rules.

You seem to be arguing against something I haven't even said.

I don't agree with the situation against villa. Personally think he wanted to avoid negative publicity after the situation earlier in the season.

Don't see the relevance of the other points.

If Bielsa is some wonderful moral guardian of the club and the rules then why didn’t he do something a la villa for the other stuff that’s happened this year?

Because it's not his job to ref the game and as I said I think what he did against villa was wrong.

I have mentioned why I think he did it but still don't agree with it.

Bielsa doesn't comment on refs and when things have gone against Leeds this season he hasn't been critical which I admire.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Mon May 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Yeboah wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:
Yeboah wrote:No issue with Bielsa, just not sure his record deserves the ‘love’ he gets. Football is a tangible success/failure business. He’s failed far more than he’s succeeded for someone lauded as a genius.

Have you seen us play this season? In the stadium I mean.

When we were discussing terms I'd have maybe said similar (but still very excited by going for someone with his reputation). As it is, you're very much wedded to this binary notion of success/failure, I can't be bothered going over that ground again but perhaps his great gift is to show people the game can be glorious without titles?

He's not about winning at all costs, he's not about becoming as rich as possible, he's about the process, the bigger picture, the beauty of the game. He's a beacon of integrity in a corrupt sport.

What he's done this season is remarkable, if we do go up it'll be because of his genius. If we fall short then we see what next season brings. I believe we'd be in the mix again if he stays. If he leaves I fear it's back to 14th.

Yes I have, they were awful.....

Professional sport is about tangible success, achievements, winning things.......if you can do that the ‘right’ way, brilliant, if not, winning has to be priority given the knock on affects in modern football, finance etc.

Having to explain something so fundamental is so ‘square ball’ .....

Beacon of integrity? After being fined for corrupt actions? Is that parody.?

He’s not the messiah......his record shows you that.

‘Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser’ - Vince Lombardi

If you're after tangible success, why do you even follow Leeds?
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Mon May 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Yeboah wrote:
metalsmurf wrote:Agreed Phil, it's become something I enjoy on a Saturday again rather than something I do cos season ticket.

That’s great for you, suspect it’s a minority view.

Brentford at home next year will be a much bigger fixture than Arsenal or City... :roll: :lol:

No it isn't
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 06, 2019 4:02 pm

metalsmurf wrote:If you're after tangible success, why do you even follow Leeds?

Can’t help where your born and where your first experience was.

Don’t worry I’ve corrected it with my kids, they all hate Leeds. :cheers:

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 06, 2019 4:02 pm

metalsmurf wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
metalsmurf wrote:Agreed Phil, it's become something I enjoy on a Saturday again rather than something I do cos season ticket.

That’s great for you, suspect it’s a minority view.

Brentford at home next year will be a much bigger fixture than Arsenal or City... :roll: :lol:

No it isn't

Scientific

Phatphil65

Postby Phatphil65 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 pm

Yeboah wrote:
metalsmurf wrote:If you're after tangible success, why do you even follow Leeds?

Can’t help where your born and where your first experience was.

Don’t worry I’ve corrected it with my kids, they all hate Leeds. :cheers:

They probably hate you too. Did your parents ignore you when you came home from boarding school?

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Phatphil65 wrote:
They probably hate you too. Did your parents ignore you when you came home from boarding school?

Standard personal abuse start for TSB, don’t like the argument, get personal.

My kids tend to love the corporate opulence that private boxes around various prem league grounds provides. As and when we get invited.

As for me, I effectively left school to try and play professional sport at 15 (succeeded 3 times) so no boarding school for me.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Mon May 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Yeboah wrote:My kids tend to love the corporate opulence that private boxes around various prem league grounds provides. As and when we get invited.

excellent - the shrimp sandwich brigade :lol: :lol: :lol:
no wonder suffering with Leeds is too much for the poor things

or did you intend this to mean something else?

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon May 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Yeboah wrote:Don’t worry I’ve corrected it with my kids, they all hate Leeds. :cheers:

If anyone else on here wrote this Id know they were joking, with you I’m not sure.

Understand why you might think you’ve been proven right this season after you quoted others who said Bielsa teams can’t compete for a full season. I love the guy, and I still think he’s made a few obvious mistakes this season, lack of transfers in Jan, admitting spying on every club before games, letting Villa score, Dallas at lb.. but I accept that it’s part of the package, and I would be more than happy to give him another 5 seasons to complete the job of getting us back into the PL if’s that what it took. I would rather have another five years of Bielsa in the championship than win promotion to the PL with a manager like Colin or Lampard.

Life is about how you get there, it’s not about getting there at any price, course failure hurts, but I do think Bielsa will learn from this season, and I don’t think he’ll repeat the mistakes he’s made.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon May 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Today my lad has been watching some old Monty Python DVDs - the Argument sketch just been on. Prefer it to this thread, tbh.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon May 06, 2019 9:05 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Today my lad has been watching some old Monty Python DVDs - the Argument sketch just been on. Prefer it to this thread, tbh.

No you don't.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

London_White

Postby London_White » Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 pm

That's just contradiction

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Mon May 06, 2019 9:08 pm

London_White wrote:That's just contradiction

No it isn't
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:
Yeboah wrote:My kids tend to love the corporate opulence that private boxes around various prem league grounds provides. As and when we get invited.

excellent - the shrimp sandwich brigade :lol: :lol: :lol:
no wonder suffering with Leeds is too much for the poor things

or did you intend this to mean something else?

Free entry, free food and drinks, luxury seat, what’s not to like?

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 pm

jackos wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Don’t worry I’ve corrected it with my kids, they all hate Leeds. :cheers:

If anyone else on here wrote this Id know they were joking, with you I’m not sure.

Understand why you might think you’ve been proven right this season after you quoted others who said Bielsa teams can’t compete for a full season. I love the guy, and I still think he’s made a few obvious mistakes this season, lack of transfers in Jan, admitting spying on every club before games, letting Villa score, Dallas at lb.. but I accept that it’s part of the package, and I would be more than happy to give him another 5 seasons to complete the job of getting us back into the PL if’s that what it took. I would rather have another five years of Bielsa in the championship than win promotion to the PL with a manager like Colin or Lampard.

Life is about how you get there, it’s not about getting there at any price, course failure hurts, but I do think Bielsa will learn from this season, and I don’t think he’ll repeat the mistakes he’s made.

It’s no joke, supporting Leeds is a lifetime of pain and misery. I couldn’t put them through that.

The fan base they’ve seen, and their behaviour made sure they never changed their mind.

I don’t care about being proven right, it’s irrelevant. Bielsa has already done more than I ever thought he could or would do. Form since Xmas has been average and agree he’s made mistakes.

He’s never lasted more than 2 years at club level, in one go, so whilst he may stay one more year (I don’t think he will) that will then be it. The finances of the champ. mean long standing clubs at the level are at an immediate disadvantage.

Happy that you want the journey to be ‘right’...I’m not bothered. I want them up. The club is sold to wealthy people if they go up this season. People who can make relegation a non issue.

Understand the comment re. Warnock, but the comment on Lamps is low he is a class act in many, many ways.

Return to “The Square Ball”