YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:09 pm

They're also on Amazon: amazon(dot)co(dot)uk/Cult-Relevant-Uniteds-Dreaming-Christmas/dp/B08P28S2M8/ref=sr_1_45?dchild=1&keywords=bielsa%2Bjumper&qid=1606759503&sr=8-45&th=1&psc=1

EDIT: Amazon links are apparently a problem on here.

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Andymac-47 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:36 pm

I found this very pleasing!
Andymac

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Quiffy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:59 pm

there are loads of things that make bielsa and leeds different to other teams but one thing i noticed yesterday that is something we always do but other teams don't so much is attack the byline in the space between where the penalty area ends and the 6 yard box starts. it's like tickling your other half behind the ear or something, one of those sensitive spots only used by experienced lovers.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Quiffy wrote:there are loads of things that make bielsa and leeds different to other teams but one thing i noticed yesterday that is something we always do but other teams don't so much is attack the byline in the space between where the penalty area ends and the 6 yard box starts. it's like tickling your other half behind the ear or something, one of those sensitive spots only used by experienced lovers.

Known in my abode as Pro Evo goals, as that was my MO there.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:12 pm

Quiffy wrote:there are loads of things that make bielsa and leeds different to other teams but one thing i noticed yesterday that is something we always do but other teams don't so much is attack the byline in the space between where the penalty area ends and the 6 yard box starts. it's like tickling your other half behind the ear or something, one of those sensitive spots only used by experienced lovers.


For your Mrs. sake, that is NOT where the clitoris is......

Yer welcome!
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

User avatar
Terre Harte II
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:52 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere, USA

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Terre Harte II » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Quiffy wrote:it's like tickling your other half behind the ear or something, one of those sensitive spots only used by experienced lovers.


Unless she's drunk off her ass, my wife hates any kind of ear play. Just despises it.

(Much funnier if read with the "ass" and "ear" reversed.) :lol:
"The supporters, the only thing to them is that they love their club.
The only thing the receive in exchange is emotions.
For this reason, the supporter is the best thing in football." - Marcelo Bielsa

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Quiffy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:17 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:
Quiffy wrote:there are loads of things that make bielsa and leeds different to other teams but one thing i noticed yesterday that is something we always do but other teams don't so much is attack the byline in the space between where the penalty area ends and the 6 yard box starts. it's like tickling your other half behind the ear or something, one of those sensitive spots only used by experienced lovers.


For your Mrs. sake, that is NOT where the clitoris is......

Yer welcome!

we definitely go deeper in the box in an attempt to pull back and score than most teams. anything to see that ripple in the nets when it works.

sorry. this is not a thread that should be sullied by cheap innuendo. i apologise.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:11 pm

:cheers:



The piss boiling can continue, Bielsa is officially one of the world's best 3 coaches of 2020 not just best 5.

Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Do we have to vote again?

User avatar
Bobbycollins
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Pondering the world's problems whilst doing some decorating and eventually got to the subject of our defending against set pieces. The recurring situation is that the ball is crossed into the box where an onrushing opponent heads the ball goalwards from 10 yards out and our players don't have the height/strength/aggression to head the ball away when running back towards our goal. As such would we be better served if our two CBs took their starting position on the goal line and then ran out to attack the ball, rather than running alongside the opponent? We could leave the players such as Dallas who rarely win the ball in the area to block off the runs of the opposition players and have fewer players generally in the box to reduce congestion and allow the CBs and keeper to have a better view of the ball. I appreciate that Bielsa prefers man-marking to a zonal approach but if ever there's a manager capable of drilling players into a new routine, he's the man. Now back to the problem of third world hunger.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:18 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:Pondering the world's problems whilst doing some decorating and eventually got to the subject of our defending against set pieces. The recurring situation is that the ball is crossed into the box where an onrushing opponent heads the ball goalwards from 10 yards out and our players don't have the height/strength/aggression to head the ball away when running back towards our goal. As such would we be better served if our two CBs took their starting position on the goal line and then ran out to attack the ball, rather than running alongside the opponent? We could leave the players such as Dallas who rarely win the ball in the area to block off the runs of the opposition players and have fewer players generally in the box to reduce congestion and allow the CBs and keeper to have a better view of the ball. I appreciate that Bielsa prefers man-marking to a zonal approach but if ever there's a manager capable of drilling players into a new routine, he's the man. Now back to the problem of third world hunger.

Wouldn't that just mean they'd push the attacking line forward or simply enable them to find the forwards to feet much easier? I know both goals were set piece headers but they could have had a few from open play too.

User avatar
Bobbycollins
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:Pondering the world's problems whilst doing some decorating and eventually got to the subject of our defending against set pieces. The recurring situation is that the ball is crossed into the box where an onrushing opponent heads the ball goalwards from 10 yards out and our players don't have the height/strength/aggression to head the ball away when running back towards our goal. As such would we be better served if our two CBs took their starting position on the goal line and then ran out to attack the ball, rather than running alongside the opponent? We could leave the players such as Dallas who rarely win the ball in the area to block off the runs of the opposition players and have fewer players generally in the box to reduce congestion and allow the CBs and keeper to have a better view of the ball. I appreciate that Bielsa prefers man-marking to a zonal approach but if ever there's a manager capable of drilling players into a new routine, he's the man. Now back to the problem of third world hunger.

Wouldn't that just mean they'd push the attacking line forward or simply enable them to find the forwards to feet much easier? I know both goals were set piece headers but they could have had a few from open play too.

I think (hope) that pushing the attacking line forward plays into our hands, as it's the high ball 5-10 yards from our goal that causes problems, with opponents running onto the cross. Bringing the line forwards should give more chance for the keeper to claim the cross. A two man wall would prevent easy passes to feet.

User avatar
Oheddieeddie
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Tacky with sweat and poisonous particulates.

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 am

This you MUST see.


User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:08 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:This you MUST see.


:thumbl: i hope radz is booking the low flying helicopter right now
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

AmarinderBedi
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby AmarinderBedi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:26 am

There isnt a day goes by I dont thank our lucky stars we have the Man as manager. Not just his style of football of course, but his behaviour, how humble he is, how he improves players etc. to think, we had that Barnsley idiot Heckingbottom in recent memory (really the nadir)! I remember thinking in the middle of the succession of Hockadays, Evans, Heckingbottom etc how amazing (but unreachable) it would be to have Bielsa. Here he is - and despite the odd result like Sunday - Im fucking loving it!!! Really hope he stays on for a couple more seasons and gets us back to Europe or a cup. Hes up there with Revie and Wilko for me.

Btw - if / when we lose him, i wouldnt mind Rafa if he still has some hunger. Any advance on that?

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm

AmarinderBedi wrote:There isnt a day goes by I dont thank our lucky stars we have the Man as manager. Not just his style of football of course, but his behaviour, how humble he is, how he improves players etc. to think, we had that Barnsley idiot Heckingbottom in recent memory (really the nadir)! I remember thinking in the middle of the succession of Hockadays, Evans, Heckingbottom etc how amazing (but unreachable) it would be to have Bielsa. Here he is - and despite the odd result like Sunday - Im fucking loving it!!! Really hope he stays on for a couple more seasons and gets us back to Europe or a cup. Hes up there with Revie and Wilko for me.

Btw - if / when we lose him, i wouldnt mind Rafa if he still has some hunger. Any advance on that?

rafa benitez? :shock:

the reaction to this latest poor result against manU has actually not only made me pleased he is our manager, but also made me proud of the rest of the leeds fans. the majority seem to have grasped exactly what we have with bielsa, they understand that this is just the other side of the same coin that we love. it's the power of the man that he's managed to get so many football fans thinking differently about the game, in doing so he's educated a pretty disparate group, so that as a group of fans we're not reacting like a bunch of idiotic manU fans.

* i know this is not all the fans but it's more than expected.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:28 pm

this article is worth a read and it'll take less than 10 minutes...
https://www.twenty3.sport/the-good-the-bad-bielsa-ball-premier-league/

the last bit is worth consideration....
When looking at the average position map, you can understand why Leeds often find themselves in unfavourable situations. The players either side of Kalvin Phillips push on to support Patrick Bamford and it leaves the 25-year-old with a lot to do. He’s the quarterback who also has to ensure that he covers the space when there’s a turnover.

Pressing teams usually have a compact average position map. The middle third is often clogged up and this prevents them from being hit on the break. Leeds don’t have that though, and it’s telling.

Bielsa is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He can’t tweak his system too much because the current tactics hide weaknesses of some players and allows them to show off their strengths. Deploying a sitter alongside Phillips might shore them up defensively, but it could blunt them going forward.


although it's worth a read it fails to consider two crucial variables;
1. that we out run teams. this is primarily to create overloads going forward but it is also important covering back, so the average position maps they refer to in the article aren't the be all and end all. against this we are struggling because premier league teams are far more clinical and fast on the break, so no matter how much we run back we have less time to block the shots coming in.
2. our defence has been depleted by regular injuries. we know from last year that the system has enough players in defensive positions to snuff out chances by winning the 50/50's, but unfortunately now with these better opponents they're more 40/60's, especially as we haven't been able to play our strongest defence. all our existing players will get more used to premier standard attackers and will hopefully start to win more of these duels. also looking at the build up to some of those goals we have enough players back early on but they are not then making the right decisions, because we lack quality and experience. the fact that manU's centre back pairing cost 80 times as much as ours is actually significant.

i think this is why i get narked at the idea of 'naivety'. the system is well thought through and designed to make us score more goals than them, it should work. it is risky, no doubts, it just isn't working perfectly because the team is acclimatising to a better standard of attacker and we are struggling with injuries.

....and whilst i'm typing, i saw an interesting tweet recalling something that daniel farke had said. he claimed that any team that gets promoted and tries to become more defensive in order to stay up is doomed to failure in at least it's second season. this is because they get stuck in a rut and won't be able to become more progressive, whereas any team that continues to attack in it's first season back has maybe a smaller chance of survival in it's first year but a better chance of long term survival, hence his failed approach to norwich's last season that does seem to be paying dividends this season, with them being top by 5 points right now. the trick is to play the same attacking system but with better defensive players, explaining the investments in llorente and koch.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Chieftain626
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Chieftain626 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Nice take away quiffy.

The naive stuff has annoyed me too.

Our system when we have the ball it to take risks the frist 3 goals of the game started from one of our attacking players losing the ball where he shouldn’t when trying to progress. The midfield gambles and leave holes behind. We need to be better at protecting the ball in these situations. But still take risks to create the chances.

However Klich does need to help protect Kalvin a little more.

As we move into the next game how many different CB pairings will that be. Most games we had and not
Had to Change it is like 2 right?

Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Eddies Boots » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Chieftain626 wrote:

The naive stuff has annoyed me too.
Our system when we have the ball it to take risks the first 3 goals of the game started from one of our attacking players losing the ball where he shouldn’t when trying to progress. The midfield gambles and leave holes behind. We need to be better at protecting the ball in these situations. But still take risks to create the chances.


I love the way we play.
I emailed my Chelsea-season-ticket brother that the last 2 games highlight how great it is.
He replied:
Chelsea scraped a win last night - we look worse than Leeds and nowhere near as entertaining.

Not sure what to make of that.

But...
Its one thing if our sole defensive midfielder gets caught out upfield as an attack breaks down.
I don't see the excuse for him being drawn out of position when they have the ball - and he needs to actually be the defensive midfielder. I know we do simple man-marking, but surely there can be an exception where just 2 players have to work out what needs to be done.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests