YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Devi

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Devi » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:08 pm

jackos wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:Leeds will be his last job.
When he leaves he will go back to Rosario.
If we are very lucky we might get one more year.

Why do you say that? He's seems to be healthy, he's a workaholic, and he's spent the majority of his life and marriage on the road. Wouldn't surprise me if he continued to work for another 10 years if his health holds up

Still wont speak English to the press though. :cheers:
I like it. What is it?

Phil LUFC

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:37 pm

jackos wrote:

Why do you say that? He's seems to be healthy, he's a workaholic, and he's spent the majority of his life and marriage on the road. Wouldn't surprise me if he continued to work for another 10 years if his health holds up

Yep, I don't see him having any retirement plans as such, what's Spanish for "one last job"?

As I said the other day, I'm not really willing to contemplate what the future holds just yet, too busy enjoying the present. It feels like a bit of a self protection mechanism to assume every season is Bielsa's last here but I'm not sure if has to be. As long as there's steady progress, the board don't start trying to apply pressure/change the direction/cash in on the wrong players/the media again didn't become too much... (All things which could become problems very easily) then why not a 4th season, a 5th... So long as everyone is prepared to go through the mill every summer* I don't think it's impossible.

*And every day for the squad.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
jackos wrote:

Yep, I don't see him having any retirement plans as such, what's Spanish for "one last job"?

As I said the other day, I'm not really willing to contemplate what the future holds just yet, too busy enjoying the present. It feels like a bit of a self protection mechanism to assume every season is Bielsa's last here but I'm not sure if has to be. As long as there's steady progress, the board don't start trying to apply pressure/change the direction/cash in on the wrong players/the media again didn't become too much... (All things which could become problems very easily) then why not a 4th season, a 5th... So long as everyone is prepared to go through the mill every summer* I don't think it's impossible.

*And every day for the squad.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:35 pm

The stoic way, innit. Live with thanks in the moment, don't cry when it stops.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 am

Just me? Or have they been watching Ayling at Huddersfield?

I like it. What is it?

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:07 pm

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:16 pm

I liked the way he said that llorente might "eventually" be used in midfield.

who would use words like "eventually" if they're entering their final seven months in a job?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 pm

There was a tidbit in the TSB Propaganda email yesterday that suggested that after the play-off loss against Derby Bielsa genuinely thought we were going to replace him. I haven't seen this reported anywhere else but presumably it came from somewhere legit. It might give some insight into how detached he is from the revelry that surrounds him. I'd be absolutely amazed if there was even a single person outside of him thinking about that. Absolutely everybody else would have been thinking 'what can we do to make him stay'.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Tommy wrote:There was a tidbit in the TSB Propaganda email yesterday that suggested that after the play-off loss against Derby Bielsa genuinely thought we were going to replace him. I haven't seen this reported anywhere else but presumably it came from somewhere legit. It might give some insight into how detached he is from the revelry that surrounds him. I'd be absolutely amazed if there was even a single person outside of him thinking about that. Absolutely everybody else would have been thinking 'what can we do to make him stay'.

Indeed, that time coincided with me binge watching Vikings, I was definately thinking of buying a horse and a large knife.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:29 pm

Just seeing Marcelo looking at the ground every time we scored tonight. I dunno, I suspect he goes through massive emotional turmoil every minute of every game.

God I love this man.
Member of a clique

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Did anyone spot the quote from Bielsa in Moscow's Patreon about his (MB not Moscow :D) long-term future at Leeds? "I'm very comfortable living in England. Annual contracts does not mean I am not open to staying longer."

Let joy be unconfined :santa: :king: :bounce: :cheers:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Matt White wrote:Did anyone spot the quote from Bielsa in Moscow's Patreon about his (MB not Moscow :D) long-term future at Leeds? "I'm very comfortable living in England. Annual contracts does not mean I am not open to staying longer."

of course i want him to stay, i certainly think he's worth an awful lot of points to us over the course of the season. but, yeah, i dunno, i suppose i think about what ended up happening to jock stein and would worry a little about a guy being so insanely intense about work well into his late middle years?

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:53 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Matt White wrote:Did anyone spot the quote from Bielsa in Moscow's Patreon about his (MB not Moscow :D) long-term future at Leeds? "I'm very comfortable living in England. Annual contracts does not mean I am not open to staying longer."

of course i want him to stay, i certainly think he's worth an awful lot of points to us over the course of the season. but, yeah, i dunno, i suppose i think about what ended up happening to jock stein and would worry a little about a guy being so insanely intense about work well into his late middle years?

I'm not sure he's capable of not being intense about work, tbh. If he weren't in charge of a football club he'd be berating some intern or other about the way the projector was set up at one of his seminars, or making sure the fence on his ranch was perfectly straight. I know what you mean, though; he's not a young man.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Can anyone see him actually retiring one day? It's a comparison I have to make for obvious reasons but... "I said to our Sharon I'll just take this one last job, doing here a favour really, gets me out from under her feet".

Besides, he's 8 years younger than Roy Hodgson, he can stay as long as he wants to, he'd only do something daft like get another job if we let him go anyway.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:08 pm

If we got relegated I'd still want him to stay

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:12 pm

AndyPaul wrote:If we got relegated I'd still want him to stay

If he got run over in Wetherby and died tomorrow I'd still want him to stay.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Can anyone see him actually retiring one day? It's a comparison I have to make for obvious reasons but... "I said to our Sharon I'll just take this one last job, doing here a favour really, gets me out from under her feet".

Besides, he's 8 years younger than Roy Hodgson, he can stay as long as he wants to, he'd only do something daft like get another job if we let him go anyway.

there's quite a difference between what Bielsa does [working with serious intensity, with a forensic, some might say maniacal, eye for detail, 7000 miles from home] and the other two's roles, both of which of which seem pretty well suited to the working septuagenarian.

Warnock I should think fairly passively oversees club life, mostly from his no doubt palatial Cornwall dwelling, chuckles his way through the odd post-match interview, briefly springs into life every brown envelope season.

as for Woy Hodgson, i suspect that Ray Lewington does most of the real work these days, Woy has lived or had a home in Croydon for all of his not inconsiderable life, it's the perfect gig for him.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:30 pm

the flying pig wrote:... Woy has lived or had a home in Croydon for all of his not inconsiderable life, it's the perfect gig for him.

Needs to move somewhere nicer, tbf.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:47 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Can anyone see him actually retiring one day? It's a comparison I have to make for obvious reasons but... "I said to our Sharon I'll just take this one last job, doing here a favour really, gets me out from under her feet".

there's quite a difference between what Bielsa does [working with maniacal intensity, with a forensic, some might say maniacal, eye for detail, 7000 miles from home] and the other two's roles, both of which of which seem pretty well suited to the working septuagenarian.

Warnock I should think fairly passively oversees club life, mostly from his no doubt palatial Cornwall dwelling, chuckles his way through the odd post-match interview, briefly springs into life every brown envelope season.

as for Woy Hodgson, i suspect that Ray Lewington does most of the real work these days, Woy has lived or had a home in Croydon for all of his not inconsiderable life, it's the perfect gig for him.

Honestly, I don't think the intensity of the location matters (although I think he's maybe found Wetherby to be a far nicer place to live than he expected), I cannot see Bielsa doing anything other than working until he drops/is unable to carry on for medical reasons. I think he'd deteriorate pretty quickly if he stopped. I suspect the year at a time is more about leverage for agreeing job related matters every summer than in it is a countdown to the end.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:46 pm

Hahahaha.

No.

Member of a clique

Return to “The Square Ball”