YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
LSD&2Es

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm

We're managed by the Mekon!
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Blackwhite

Re: YES that Mad Bastard Bielsa's brand of football IS good enough for Leeds United

Postby Blackwhite » Mon May 04, 2020 6:00 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon May 04, 2020 7:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:https://twitter.com/golazoargentino/status/1257364561080000515?s=19

Cheers for that, very very good, intelligent, articulate blokes wot know of which they speak.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon May 04, 2020 7:24 pm

Saving it for tomorrow now, got some victims to chat shit to for a while.
Thanks for the QC though!

Edit: man, this site clock is broken... Not even an hour out!
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun May 17, 2020 5:48 pm

:D from this afternoon by some bloke on fb. :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:52 pm

don't feel the need to comment on this.

i remember the good ole days when we couldn't pass for toffee.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm struggling to understand the change, it's a well known fact that coaches make no difference.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:19 pm

welshwhite wrote:I'm struggling to understand the change, it's a well known fact that coaches make no difference.

:mrgreen: good call. was that one of gaz's truisms?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Quiffy wrote:
welshwhite wrote:I'm struggling to understand the change, it's a well known fact that coaches make no difference.

:mrgreen: good call. was that one of gaz's truisms?

And a couple of others. They know who they are :)
I bumped into Gaz at our Centenary game against Brum, it was he that recomended me to become a Mod on here, I still can't understand why.

He knows his football but he gets pissed on four pints.

Must dash.

:basket:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:58 am

Today marks the second anniversary of the arrival of our blessed lord and saviour.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:01 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Today marks the second anniversary of the arrival of our blessed lord and saviour.

I think we actually signed Jay-Roy Grot nearly three years ago, mate.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:20 am

I was actually thinking about this earlier today in relation to some other threads discussing confirmation bias - particularly going out to look for info that confirms your gut feeling/current mood/prejudice. I didn't know Bielsa when he arrived but at the time was infuriated by what I saw as unnecessary chopping and changing of managers (a hallmark of the awful Cellino era). They honestly could have appointed me and I'd have complained about it. As it was, they brought in Bielsa and I immediately read several articles that emphasised what some people see as his shortcomings - lack of trophies, perceived erratic nature, weird eccentricities, distant nature, irascibile personality, too demanding of players etc. If I'd looked for that much longer I'd surely have found the materials I now devour in my spare time. To be honest, I probably wasn't in the right headspace to appreciate them at the time.

Now, having got to know Bielsa over a couple of years, I can't imagine life without him. I’ve often wrestled with justifying my continued interest in football into adulthood given some of the culture that surrounds it and at times it has felt at odds with how I now choose to live my life. It's not absurd to say that Bielsa’s humility, passion and boundless curiosity has changed my perspective. He's made me legitimately enjoy football again but also inspired me to try to be less cynical in my everyday life. I feel like there's a lesson here of sorts - that you should be open to having your mind changed and try not to let your initial instinct cloud your judgement.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:23 am

Tommy wrote:I was actually thinking about this earlier today in relation to some other threads discussing confirmation bias - particularly going out to look for info that confirms your gut feeling/current mood/prejudice. I didn't know Bielsa when he arrived but at the time was infuriated by what I saw as unnecessary chopping and changing of managers (a hallmark of the awful Cellino era). They honestly could have appointed me and I'd have complained about it at the time. As it was, they brought in Bielsa and I immediately read several articles that emphasised what some people see as his shortcomings - lack of trophies, perceived erratic nature, weird eccentricities, distant nature, irascibile personality, too demanding of players etc. If I'd looked for that much longer I'd surely have found the materials I now devour in my spare time. To be honest, I probably wasn't in the right headspace to appreciate them at the time.

Now, having got to know Bielsa over a couple of years, I can't imagine life without him. I’ve often wrestled with justifying my continued interest in football into adulthood given some of the culture that surrounds it and at times it has felt at odds with how I now choose to live my life. It's not absurd to say that Bielsa’s humility, passion and boundless curiosity has changed my perspective. He's made me legitimately enjoy football again but also inspired me to try to be less cynical in my everyday life. I feel like there's a lesson here of sorts - that you should be open to having your mind changed and try not to let your initial instinct cloud your judgement.

:salute:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:33 am

Professor Weeto wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Today marks the second anniversary of the arrival of our blessed lord and saviour.

I think we actually signed Jay-Roy Grot nearly three years ago, mate.

Poor old Jay-Roy. Not sure he really deserves to become the new Brolin / Paynter / Morison
HM Collector Of Parcels

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:51 am

Tommy wrote:I was actually thinking about this earlier today in relation to some other threads discussing confirmation bias - particularly going out to look for info that confirms your gut feeling/current mood/prejudice. I didn't know Bielsa when he arrived but at the time was infuriated by what I saw as unnecessary chopping and changing of managers (a hallmark of the awful Cellino era). They honestly could have appointed me and I'd have complained about it at the time. As it was, they brought in Bielsa and I immediately read several articles that emphasised what some people see as his shortcomings - lack of trophies, perceived erratic nature, weird eccentricities, distant nature, irascibile personality, too demanding of players etc. If I'd looked for that much longer I'd surely have found the materials I now devour in my spare time. To be honest, I probably wasn't in the right headspace to appreciate them at the time.

Genuinely happy for you, T. There's a few others on here also starting to wind their necks in.
The site is a lot better for it :thumbl:

I'm sure you feel a lot better within yourself now that you've been de-Weaselcunted :thumbl:

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:06 am

Tommy wrote:Now, having got to know Bielsa over a couple of years, I can't imagine life without him. I’ve often wrestled with justifying my continued interest in football into adulthood given some of the culture that surrounds it and at times it has felt at odds with how I now choose to live my life. It's not absurd to say that Bielsa’s humility, passion and boundless curiosity has changed my perspective. He's made me legitimately enjoy football again but also inspired me to try to be less cynical in my everyday life. I feel like there's a lesson here of sorts - that you should be open to having your mind changed and try not to let your initial instinct cloud your judgement.

Top stuff Tommy.

I've seen some pseudo intellectual philosopher football types in the past, but Bielsa specifically doesn't talk it unless asked, he just lives it. I keep telling myself to try to remember that it's only a game, but Bielsa makes that difficult.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:10 am

But are you actually happy?

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:35 am

dirty leeds wrote:

But are you actually happy?

Well, tbf, is Bielsa?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 am

dirty leeds wrote:But are you actually happy?

It's a complicated question. I feel like virtually everything is going well for me personally of late - I love where I live, I'm surrounded by good people and I've found a job I like and am reasonably good at. I just turned 36 but I'm definitely the most fit and healthy I've ever been in my life. My mental wellbeing is pretty good by my standards. The situation with Leeds Utd is much better than it has been for years and as discussed, I particularly enjoy Bielsa being our manager. I've managed to disengage with social media for the most part and when I do use Twitter it's on my own terms, about football.

However, the better my life gets, the worse I feel for the many people in my life who are still struggling. Most of my friends have a really tough time getting through the day to day of living and whilst I try to be available and supportive, I never feel like I'm doing enough. The fact that I always seem to fall sideways and/or upwards almost regardless of what I do emphasises the enormous amount of privilege I have compared to most. For the past five years I poured a lot of this into Fake Job but we've just had the heart-breaking news that we won't be able to renew our lease and we now have to vacate by the end of the month. I don't think this has really sunk in for me, it feels like losing one's home. I'm not sure what my next project will be but perhaps it's time to channel my energy into some other non-profit enterprise and/or find a way to contribute more on a local level. We have been helping out more at foodbanks during lockdown and I suspect that will continue. I don't think I have the constitution to go into politics or law but perhaps there's a niche for me I haven't found yet, away from the public eye.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Return to “The Square Ball”