Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:57 am

Disagree with you, SoL, re the luck thing. The season is ALWAYS a reflection of how good you are, without exception.
You talk of 'luck' with injuries, but we don't have any real knowledge of how they are training, which methods they are using, whether some are not doing work that is conducive to their physical situation, whether or not some should be resting more or going down the pub late at night less... loads of factors. In any case, though we all use the word 'luck' fairly liberally - me included - there's no such thing; not really.
Was, for example, Oxlade-Chamberlain 'unlucky' the other night when he injured himself and put himself out of the WC? No - he made a lunging tackle, twisted his knee and fucked himself up. It's sad for him, sure, but he shouldn't have made the tackle in that way, period.
Is it 'unlucky' if you hit the post? No, you just didn't hit the target.
We're a mid-tale team ending another disappointing season with a whimper. We are not unlucky to be where we are.

I don't believe in God either.

Son of Leeds
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Son of Leeds » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:04 am

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK
Unread postby Mr Reality » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:04 am

Sadly I won't be returning till see a club with a focus on getting promoted with something at least resembling a feasible plan.

The fact we are moving for Bartley is in interesting but doesn't say a lot for this idea Orta was supposed to be putting together a continental scouting network. Has that gone by the wayside now?

Given the nature of the league you can talk about luck, but it's not unlucky to play have players sent off and suspended when they get red cards which they deserve. Injuries have been a problem but you don't replace the best striker in the division with a guy who has a history of fitness issues and moan about bad luck.


We understand your feelings, Mr Reality, and I am sure we all wish you the best in your absence from The Square Ball. May I thank you for your contributions. In fairness, I do rather resent that you called me a cunt and not a weasily cunt as you did some others - I am a great fan of weasils, plucky little buggers that they are - but no hard feelings, eh?

I'm not sure whom you are addressing in terms of 'moaning' about luck. Perhaps I failed to hit the right tone. I was just trying to say it as I saw it, and explaining why I withhold judgement on the club, as yet.

Please don't take Vamps with you. We need him. Mind you, the idea of Vampire and Mr Reality slugging together across the wilderness sounds more picaresque than Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. I can see you both on the barren moors, with Vampire holding a disquisition to the clouds and wind on the failed economic model of Leeds United, while you curse your way over the rocks and through the gorse calling imprecations on Victor Orta.

All the best.
Leeds United is ruining my life.

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:30 am

Son of Leeds wrote:
Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK
Unread postby Mr Reality » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:04 am

Sadly I won't be returning till see a club with a focus on getting promoted with something at least resembling a feasible plan.

The fact we are moving for Bartley is in interesting but doesn't say a lot for this idea Orta was supposed to be putting together a continental scouting network. Has that gone by the wayside now?

Given the nature of the league you can talk about luck, but it's not unlucky to play have players sent off and suspended when they get red cards which they deserve. Injuries have been a problem but you don't replace the best striker in the division with a guy who has a history of fitness issues and moan about bad luck.


We understand your feelings, Mr Reality, and I am sure we all wish you the best in your absence from The Square Ball. May I thank you for your contributions. In fairness, I do rather resent that you called me a cunt and not a weasily cunt as you did some others - I am a great fan of weasils, plucky little buggers that they are - but no hard feelings, eh?

I'm not sure whom you are addressing in terms of 'moaning' about luck. Perhaps I failed to hit the right tone. I was just trying to say it as I saw it, and explaining why I withhold judgement on the club, as yet.

Please don't take Vamps with you. We need him. Mind you, the idea of Vampire and Mr Reality slugging together across the wilderness sounds more picaresque than Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. I can see you both on the barren moors, with Vampire holding a disquisition to the clouds and wind on the failed economic model of Leeds United, while you curse your way over the rocks and through the gorse calling imprecations on Victor Orta.

All the best.


Oh no I mean my season ticket. Sorry to disappoint.

Can't recall calling you a cunt but as ever if you give out don't be shocked if you get some back. :thumbl:

Son of Leeds
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Son of Leeds » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:50 am

You may not believe in God, dirty leeds, but you have an enormous faith in cosmic justice. The idea of luck playing no part in human affairs of any kind is sort of weird to me.

Don't disagree we're a middling club. I'm just trying to do whatever is the opposite of knee-jerk.

That's a relief, Mr Reality.
Leeds United is ruining my life.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby jackos » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:52 am

Son of Leeds wrote:
As for the Heck - who can tell?


Anyone who’s watched are last couple of games and listened to his interviews can tell he’s a poor choice as Leeds Manager.

I don't actually believe so much in the Good Manager - Bad Manager
.


If its any help Heckingbottom is an example of a Bad Manager, Klopp is an example of a Good Manager. I really wanted the Heck to succeed, but the last few games have convinced me that we could pick any ex pro you care to name and they could do a similar job. He’s not up to it.

And Radz? My worry is that he's done a little Cellino.


He’s definitely done a Cellino, only his mistakes are much more costly. Max didn’t hand out 3-4 year contracts like the candy man. Hopefully he can afford to fix it. Signals are unfortunately that he can’t/won’t spend what’s needed.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby jackos » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:59 am

Son of Leeds wrote:Don't disagree we're a middling club. I'm just trying to do whatever is the opposite of knee-jerk.



We generate the highest turnover of any club outside the PL, Huddersfield’s promotion winning squad didn’t cost significantly more than we’ve spent on ours, they just spent time building a decent organisation, scouting structure etc. We’re not a middling club. We have been run into the ground by 15 years or poor management.

Hopefully rebuilding the academy will reap rewards in a few years, but we have to find a club captain and a decent manager. Bartley could be the former. If that happens I’d be made up. For the Manager we have to stop experimenting and bring in someone with experience.

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Son of Leeds wrote:You may not believe in God, dirty leeds, but you have an enormous faith in cosmic justice. The idea of luck playing no part in human affairs of any kind is sort of weird to me.

Don't disagree we're a middling club. I'm just trying to do whatever is the opposite of knee-jerk.

That's a relief, Mr Reality.


No worries. :thumbl:

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:23 pm

jackos wrote:
Son of Leeds wrote:Don't disagree we're a middling club. I'm just trying to do whatever is the opposite of knee-jerk.



We generate the highest turnover of any club outside the PL, Huddersfield’s promotion winning squad didn’t cost significantly more than we’ve spent on ours, they just spent time building a decent organisation, scouting structure etc. We’re not a middling club. We have been run into the ground by 15 years or poor management.

Hopefully rebuilding the academy will reap rewards in a few years, but we have to find a club captain and a decent manager. Bartley could be the former. If that happens I’d be made up. For the Manager we have to stop experimenting and bring in someone with experience.



In recent weeks McCarthy has become available and I don't think he would be a popular appointment. If we had got pulis I don't think he would have been popular either.
Although both have got good track records in this league and pulis in the league above too.

What names are you thinking of?

Look at the top 6. Would you want Warnock or Bruce?

I saw it mentioned on twitter yesterday we need to appoint somebody who comes here and this isn't the biggest job of their career. So effectively by thay measure we are looking for somebody who has managed a national team or one of the top teams in the biggest leagues in Europe. That doesn't seem realistic at the moment.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
jackos wrote:
Son of Leeds wrote:Don't disagree we're a middling club. I'm just trying to do whatever is the opposite of knee-jerk.



We generate the highest turnover of any club outside the PL, Huddersfield’s promotion winning squad didn’t cost significantly more than we’ve spent on ours, they just spent time building a decent organisation, scouting structure etc. We’re not a middling club. We have been run into the ground by 15 years or poor management.

Hopefully rebuilding the academy will reap rewards in a few years, but we have to find a club captain and a decent manager. Bartley could be the former. If that happens I’d be made up. For the Manager we have to stop experimenting and bring in someone with experience.



In recent weeks McCarthy has become available and I don't think he would be a popular appointment. If we had got pulis I don't think he would have been popular either.
Although both have got good track records in this league and pulis in the league above too.

What names are you thinking of?

Look at the top 6. Would you want Warnock or Bruce?

I saw it mentioned on twitter yesterday we need to appoint somebody who comes here and this isn't the biggest job of their career. So effectively by thay measure we are looking for somebody who has managed a national team or one of the top teams in the biggest leagues in Europe. That doesn't seem realistic at the moment.

Quite. If we had a management team that were really serious about getting promotion asap we might be able to attract a genuinely good manager. That would also attract serious players
Montello just got sacked by Sevilla because they got twatted by a superb Barca in the cup final.
He'd be up for a challenge, but not with a club that has no ambition.
I sort of think that a serious manager is really essential to getting the best out of the squad.
We have a basically good squad this year, but they've been allowed to steal a wage.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
Son of Leeds wrote:You may not believe in God, dirty leeds, but you have an enormous faith in cosmic justice. The idea of luck playing no part in human affairs of any kind is sort of weird to me.

Don't disagree we're a middling club. I'm just trying to do whatever is the opposite of knee-jerk.

That's a relief, Mr Reality.


No worries. :thumbl:

:mrgreen:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby jackos » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
In recent weeks McCarthy has become available and I don't think he would be a popular appointment. If we had got pulis I don't think he would have been popular either.
Although both have got good track records in this league and pulis in the league above too.

What names are you thinking of?

Look at the top 6. Would you want Warnock or Bruce?


We could and have done a lot worse than McCarthy, but he’s not likely to attract the players we need. Bilic is available, Pearson, Rodgers who’s wasting his career in Scotland. Don’t believe in going back so no to Warnock. Bruce? If you’d have asked me a month ago I’d have said no fuckimg way. Today I’d be willing to try it.

User avatar
Ontolly
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Shrewsbury

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Ontolly » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:49 pm

jackos wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:
In recent weeks McCarthy has become available and I don't think he would be a popular appointment. If we had got pulis I don't think he would have been popular either.
Although both have got good track records in this league and pulis in the league above too.

What names are you thinking of?

Look at the top 6. Would you want Warnock or Bruce?


We could and have done a lot worse than McCarthy, but he’s not likely to attract the players we need. Bilic is available, Pearson, Rodgers who’s wasting his career in Scotland. Don’t believe in going back so no to Warnock. Bruce? If you’d have asked me a month ago I’d have said no fuckimg way. Today I’d be willing to try it.

Tomorrow you will hate yourself as much as we all hate you right now.
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby jackos » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Ontolly wrote:Tomorrow you will hate yourself as much as we all hate you right now.


Yeah I know. Just reaching the tipping point with our club, for the last few years I've been telling myself not to worry we'll be back in the first tier by our centenary year, light at the end of a long dark tunnel. But now I am struggling to find any positives at all. If we're selling our soul to the Burmese military we might as well give Bruce a chance as well. He can't be any worse than Wise, even if I did feel like crying every time I saw him on our bench.

User avatar
Oheddieeddie
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Tacky with sweat and poisonous particulates.

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:00 pm

I think it's time for McCarthy. He's managed clubs to promotion, and then kept them in the premier league, and he's managed an international team to good effect. He always stays at a club for the long term and is a good organiser, which is what we need right now. If Grot starts fucking about I'd back Mick to kick his clog laden arse to fuck as well

Howard Wilkinson wasn't inspiring for his personality or playing style either

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby welshwhite » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:10 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:I think it's time for McCarthy. He's managed clubs to promotion, and then kept them in the premier league, and he's managed an international team to good effect. He always stays at a club for the long term and is a good organiser, which is what we need right now. If Grot starts fucking about I'd back Mick to kick his clog laden arse to fuck as well

Howard Wilkinson wasn't inspiring for his personality or playing style either


:thumbl: He'd get us in or around the playoffs.

His brand of football is not everyone's cup of tea but I'll take that over being a soft touch. That's not what I expect of a Leeds Utd team.

We will of course lose games but it won't be because of lack of effort.

We all want quick one touch football but we have to be realistic considering our resourses.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Tommy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:37 am

I got the best parking space for this match that I've found since Brentford away last season. Maybe a six minute walk to the ground at most, absolutely free and even provided me with a fast exit ahead of the traffic. Leeds also obliged for giving me no reason to hang around. There were a few good songs about the Myanmar trip but I can't recall them. One of them was to the tune of 'Yellow Submarine'. A very young lad near me was so distressed by the football he was literally sick on his own feet and we were left smelling it for the duration. I can't really think of a more fitting match report, frankly.

On the way to the match, me and a mate named LUFC starting elevens entirely consisting of North Europeans, Central Europeans, South Europeans, North & South Americans, Australasians, Africans and we finally stalled maybe one player short of a full compliment of Eastern Europeans. That and the excellent parking space were the highlight of the trip.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:25 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:I think it's time for McCarthy. He's managed clubs to promotion, and then kept them in the premier league, and he's managed an international team to good effect. He always stays at a club for the long term and is a good organiser, which is what we need right now. If Grot starts fucking about I'd back Mick to kick his clog laden arse to fuck as well

Howard Wilkinson wasn't inspiring for his personality or playing style either


You're an odd one OEE. You dislike Heck because he's a Barnsley born shitehouse clogger, but you want us to hire a Barnsley born shitehouse clogger.

Ipswich are one spot above us in the league at present. They're another team with a bunch of cheap players who aren't good enough. Having some miserable Yorkshire fucker there to 'boot them up the arse' doesn't quite seem to have got them in the playoffs.

Also think that's harsh on Wilko's (peak, perfected) playing style.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am

Tommy wrote:I got the best parking space for this match that I've found since Brentford away last season. Maybe a six minute walk to the ground at most, absolutely free and even provided me with a fast exit ahead of the traffic. Leeds also obliged for giving me no reason to hang around. There were a few good songs about the Myanmar trip but I can't recall them. One of them was to the tune of 'Yellow Submarine'. A very young lad near me was so distressed by the football he was literally sick on his own feet and we were left smelling it for the duration. I can't really think of a more fitting match report, frankly.

On the way to the match, me and a mate named LUFC starting elevens entirely consisting of North Europeans, Central Europeans, South Europeans, North & South Americans, Australasians, Africans and we finally stalled maybe one player short of a full compliment of Eastern Europeans. That and the excellent parking space were the highlight of the trip.


'We're all going on a genocidal tour... ', I think I read elsewhere?

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:18 am

Tommy wrote: . . . consisting of North Europeans, Central Europeans, South Europeans . . .


Might one enquire as to the formal taxonomy applied in defining these?

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Canaries v Dead Parrots CK

Postby Tommy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 pm

We pretty much made it up.

North Europe - Scandinavia and Iceland.
Central Europe - Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Holland and Belgium.
South-West Europe - France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Malta.
Eastern Europe - Absolutely everywhere we could get away with calling remotely Eastern.

I might post them on Twitter, some of them were quite good. Had to reach for some of them, there are a few players who scarcely or never figured.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: London_White, Quiffy and 6 guests