Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
SimonB

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby SimonB » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:15 pm

I would have thought £1 million transfers our out of our league at the minute even given the ticket prices and level of support
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:20 pm

For those who can't be arsed looking, some Waccoe contributor reckons he was chatting to Lorimer last night - while playing darts with him in his pub, no less - and says that Lash's "gut feeling" that Beckford will leave is based on his knowledge that Beckford has already been offered double his Leeds wages by two Championship clubs and since we won't be matching that any time soon, he wants out. Reckons it will happen sooner rather than later.
Just thought I'd pass that little nugget on for consideration.

My view is that Beckford needs some serious work on both his attitude and, most important, his decision making when he has the ball. [Don't know how far he can improve his first touch, but that obviously needs work too.]
If he leaves us now he will be found out.
But what the hell, he's only a League 1 striker, not fucking Ronaldo.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:00 pm

SimonB wrote:I would have thought £1 million transfers our out of our league at the minute even given the ticket prices and level of support

Wasn't the Lubo deal rumoured to be around the 1m mark? at least in the reports beforehand. That said, think I have some kind of memory of 300k.

Charlie Don't Surf

Postby Charlie Don't Surf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:05 pm

BREAK HIS LEGS!!

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:30 am

Charlie Don't Surf wrote:£1M for this cunt???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7snz7zVUsos

Hm .. I just assume 99% of football players are of similar stock ....

This is good news then:

Leeds stung by Riordan price tag
Derek Riordan
Riordan is thought to be restless at Celtic Park (Getty)

Leeds United are unwilling to pay Celtic's £1m asking price for once-capped Scotland striker Derek Riordan, BBC Radio Leeds understands.

United previously tried to bring the 25-year-old former Hibernian star to Elland Road on loan in January.

Riordan scored over 60 goals in three seasons at Easter Road but has made only 13 starts since switching to Glasgow giants Celtic two years ago.

Championship outfit Burnley are also believed to be after the forward

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:21 am

waccoe saying that the yorkshire post is running a kevin philips story.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/football ... 4148261.jp

doesn't sound massively plausible to me that he'd drop down a division when he's easily good enough to play, and do well, in the championship, is presumably quite well off, and has so little time left.

wouldn't be the most exciting signing ever given that he's nearly 35, but logic dictates that someone who bagged over 20 goals in the championship, and made its PFA team of the season, could afford a fairly pronounced drop in ability & still be able to do the same in league one.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:49 am

the flying pig wrote:waccoe saying that the yorkshire post is running a kevin philips story.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/football ... 4148261.jp

doesn't sound massively plausible to me that he'd drop down a division when he's easily good enough to play, and do well, in the championship, is presumably quite well off, and has so little time left.

wouldn't be the most exciting signing ever given that he's nearly 35, but logic dictates that someone who bagged over 20 goals in the championship, and made its PFA team of the season, could afford a fairly pronounced drop in ability & still be able to do the same in league one.

Sounds more like a Wise type deal than the sort of deal Macca would do though, but maybe he would be worth a try on a one year contract.

ddwhite

Postby ddwhite » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:51 am

bite his fkn hand off
Here we go..

ddwhite

Postby ddwhite » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:26 am

on the OS now.. Dr Clandestine Bates will be livid its out in the open now

stranger things have happened though.. he would be fantastic for us for a season
Here we go..

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:27 pm

Not interested according to his agent on sky

Kevin Phillips' agent has stated his client is 'unlikely' to join League One outfit Leeds United this summer.

The former England international is out of contract with newly-promoted West Brom following a prolific season with The Baggies.

With Phillips' future uncertain Gary McAllister's Whites had been linked with an audacious bid for the 34-year-old free agent.

However, his agent believes any potential move is unlikely and that Phillips would not even entertain the possibility of playing in League One had it not been a club of Leeds' size and stature.

"I've spoken to Gary but I told him that, out of courtesy, until such time as we've spoken to West Brom, we won't be holding conversations with anyone else," Phillips' agent Phil Smith, of First Artist, told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

"(League One) is not preferable and, to be perfectly honest, if it wasn't Leeds there would be nothing to discuss. It's unlikely that it would happen.

But then again maybe

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Ward resigned to losing Westwood

Carlisle United manager John Ward has admitted that the club are resigned to losing goalkeeper Keiren Westwood after contract talks with the player stalled.
Ward told BBC Radio Cumbria that the club was prepared to listen to "serious offers" for the 23-year-old, whose contract expires next summer.
"We've had tentative enquiries from two or three clubs already," Ward said.
"But we are resigned to something more concrete possibly happening in the next week or so."
Westwood, who moved to Brunton Park in 2004 following his release by Manchester City, was named in the PFA League One Team of the Year and earned a call-up to Giovanni Trapattoni's Republic of Ireland squad for the friendlies against Serbia and Colombia last month.
Westwood has so far refused to be drawn on speculation linking him with a move away from Brunton Park.

"A lot has been said in the papers but I've got a year left on my contract," Westwood recently told BBC Radio Cumbria.
"Until I hear otherwise I'm a Carlisle United player. There's no use speculating about anything at the moment."
However, Ward accepts that the Cumbrians need to look at cashing-in on their highly-rated goalkeeper now, unless they can make a breakthrough in their contract talks.
"He's told me he will return for pre-season training but we don't think there will be a new contract at that stage," Ward added.
"He has a year left on his contract after which he can go anywhere he wants on a free. In six month's time he is entitled to talk to other clubs.
"If there is to be any business done financially then it needs to be done now."

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:23 pm

jackos wrote:Not interested according to his agent on sky

Kevin Phillips' agent has stated his client is 'unlikely' to join League One outfit Leeds United this summer.

The former England international is out of contract with newly-promoted West Brom following a prolific season with The Baggies.

With Phillips' future uncertain Gary McAllister's Whites had been linked with an audacious bid for the 34-year-old free agent.

However, his agent believes any potential move is unlikely and that Phillips would not even entertain the possibility of playing in League One had it not been a club of Leeds' size and stature.

"I've spoken to Gary but I told him that, out of courtesy, until such time as we've spoken to West Brom, we won't be holding conversations with anyone else," Phillips' agent Phil Smith, of First Artist, told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

"(League One) is not preferable and, to be perfectly honest, if it wasn't Leeds there would be nothing to discuss. It's unlikely that it would happen.

But then again maybe

So to sum it up, if we'd gone up he'd have agreed terms by now? Now he's torn between playing for the biggest club of his career but at a lower standard or playing at the same standard or higher but for a smaller club, most likely a smaller club than west brom too.

I guess 1 last season in the prem would be too tempting as it was for Eddie Lewis - but only if he can get a 2 year deal and probably some kind of 1st choice guarantee.

If that doesn't happen, either at west brom or stoke, we're in with a shout I'd say.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:26 pm

On westwood, I think he'd be a good signing but it'd be harsh on Casper who was generally solid last season. I don't think westwood would come to be a backup.

Not sure wether I'd be pleased or not - I like casper and admire him for hanging on all last summer to sign for us despite the arguements it apparently caused and the other offers supposedly on the table (read that in an interview with him somewhere).

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:39 pm

it would clearly be very wrong to judge westwood on the evidence of a couple of games...

...but despite this i think he looks outstanding for our division and i would be delighted to see us sign him. probably not realistic though?

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Phillips - Great player but sell by date rapidly approaching, sure would be great but at what price? he'd only come for silly money, as he by his admission has 2 years to go, which someone else may pay but not Bates, or probably not Macca who seems to be shrewd earlier this year in finding lesser 'big names' onloan or north the border, who performed well at this level. Does any one seriously think Phillips will repeat that goal tally, when did he last do that? Father time is more likely to slow him down, and the there is higher risk absence due to injury. Look at Thommo, very sad, great player who was fab for us when/ if playing but brutally his playing contribution was woefully cut back by injury. Phillips would be a great addition but it sounds more like the agent drumming up interest for an auction.

Becks - hope he stays, he has and could do well with us, but still unproven above this league level so dream on with expecting offers of £1 million plus,as imho 20 plus goals is a one off highest achievement and in the regular Divison 1 season games against a limited level of opposition, does not prove your worth £1 million? Its all speculation on potential at this point. Beckfords big opportunity, with massive publicity, was during the play offs & especially the final when he had a bit time to recover but we saw more of his regular rather than spectacular play. Talented big money players need to turn it on in the big occasions and get you those goals to get the prizes.

Incredible Hulse -If he only fetches today 1.5million in the Premiership, so is Becks worth £1 million plus?

Riordan - Again best offer so far was 400K, leeds rumoured 500K but now its in the press its bound to inflate a price war. £1 million for a forward who cannot get a start at Celtic? Which again reflects back to Beckfords value, is he really going to attract a fee of £1 million, if thats what players in teams winning championships & playing europe are worth? Good to see Macca has done his homework and snuffed out a young player with a track record and potential, for what started as a reasonable price.

Westwood- ha why would he move within the division, following Scott Carson from Cumbria to Leeds, oops forgot we have a very good track record recently for keepers as a feederclub to the Chumps league?

Gazza- the next paper talk will be he's going us :mrgreen:

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:53 pm

Elding's on his way then ...

It seems that the Railwaymen are interested in signing Anthony Elding from League One rivals Leeds United.
26-year-old Elding nearly joined the Railwaymen back in January after they had agreed a £200k fee with Stockport County.

Though a bid from League One rivals Leeds United swayed the decision for Elding to sign for them ahead of the Railwaymen, Elding then signed a deal that would of kept him at Elland Road unitl 2010.

Now BBC Radio Leeds is now understands that Gary McAllister is open to offers for the former Boston United striker who only made nine appearances for United netting only once.

Supernorm

Postby Supernorm » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:48 am

LEEDS UNITED have opened talks with Derby County about signing Scottish international Gary Teale.

The 29-year-old is surplus to requirements at Pride Park as Paul Jewell looks to rebuild his squad following the club's nightmare year in the Premier League.

Teale, who joined the Rams from Wigan Athletic in January 2007 for £600,000, made 18 appearances in the top flight last season before joining Plymouth Argyle on loan in February.

The Yorkshire Post understands United have approached Derby over the Scottish international's availability and have been quoted a price in the region of £500,000.

The Rams have already made six signings this summer and are now awaiting a response from Gary McAllister who is also keeping track of a number of transfer targets.
Gripper wrote: "I did a Shaolin Qi-Gong taster sesh a few weeks back. Dead good it was" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:15 am

Supernorm wrote:LEEDS UNITED have opened talks with Derby County about signing Scottish international Gary Teale.

The 29-year-old is surplus to requirements at Pride Park as Paul Jewell looks to rebuild his squad following the club's nightmare year in the Premier League.

Teale, who joined the Rams from Wigan Athletic in January 2007 for £600,000, made 18 appeADVERTISEMENTarances in the top flight last season before joining Plymouth Argyle on loan in February.

The Yorkshire Post understands United have approached Derby over the Scottish international's availability and have been quoted a price in the region of £500,000.

The Rams have already made six signings this summer and are now awaiting a response from Gary McAllister who is also keeping track of a number of transfer targets.

Looked him up on Wikipedia, there's nothing say which side he plays. It does say he was replaced by Craig Fagan towards the end of the 2006/2007 season - who is a striker and now at hull. On him, it says he flourished on the right of a front 3 at hull so I'm assuming he played on the right when at derby, ahead of Teale.

So I'm assuming he's a right winger.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 am

Crewe are set to reignite interest in Leeds striker Anthony Elding (Star)
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Jovo Simanic

Postby Jovo Simanic » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:36 pm

Looks like Eldiing's on his way - from the OS:

http://www.leedsunited.com/page/Newsroo ... 78,00.html

Leeds United have agreed a fee with Crewe Alexandra for the services of striker Anthony Elding.

The 26-year-old, who is now in talks with the Gresty Road club, has featured nine times for Leeds since joining the club in January.

Anthony, whose family are Leeds fans, scored his first senior goal for the club against Cheltenham in March, and he also netted four goals in four appearances for the reserves.

OUR SMS SUBSCRIBERS WERE FIRST TO RECEIVE THIS NEWS

Alan Thompson and Darren Kenton have already departed the club and Anthony will be the third player to head out of Elland Road as boss Gary McAllister looks to re-shuffle his pack.

The United manager has already confirmed he is in the hunt for new firepower and the media have linked him with both Celtic's Derek Riordan and former England international Kevin Phillips.

Return to “The Square Ball”