Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:03 am

I'd settle for a single swoop at this point in human history. And anyway, doesn't the Wilko law mean one of them will be duff anyway? Or is that the idea, near guarantee at least one will fit in....
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:30 am

Mustafaster wrote:Where's my double swoop?
It's August and I demand a double swoop!
Preferably a lightning double swoop, but a normal one will do.
LEEDS IN LIGHTNING DOUBLE SWOOP FOR BRENTFORD DUO!

Bielsa's Brentford Blitzkreig

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:31 am

Bobbycollins wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:You continue to criticise the club's management despite the fact that they managed the club to become Champions whilst being the most commercially successful club in the Championship. Perhaps you could give them some credit for their achievements?

We had a wage bill 90% of that turnover.

The club is over £80m in debt, and lost £21m in its last FY.

Thank God for the pandemic break eh? :cheers:

I'm not sure you are correct on all of the above.

The club was not over £80m in debt - are you referring to the total creditors figure of £81m in the 2019 accounts (£53m due within 12 months and £28m due after more than one year)? As pointed out in previous posts, the short term creditors included £12m of accrued income on tickets and sponsorship and total creditors also included £25m due to the group - neither of which would be likely to result in outgoing cash. Yes, the club recorded a loss of £21m in 2018/19 which is clearly not good given that promotion was not achieved that year, however for context Villa had a pre-tax loss of £69m in the same year and the 3 promoted clubs accounted for 42% of Championship clubs' pre-tax losses (Deloitte)

On the wages to turnover ratio, the Deloitte Annual Review of Football Finance 2020 noted that "There was a much stronger than usual correlation between wages and final league positions in the Championship in 2018/19...the highest spenders finished at the top and the lowest at the bottom".

Leeds followed a similar financial path in the 2019/20 season as had been proved to work by the promoted clubs in 2018/19, however unlike West Brom and Fulham, Leeds achieved promotion without the benefit of huge parachute payments.

As regards Leeds benefiting from the pandemic break, Leeds went into the break on the back of 5 successive victories, whereas West Brom and Fulham were both faltering, having each only picked up 8 points in comparison with our 15 points in the same period. As other have previously posted, you seem to be trying to use the pandemic break to cover your incorrect judgement over Bielsa's ability to achieve promotion.

Try to find some positives to talk about, as your Cassandra role is becoming a bit tedious.

The creditors figure is in the previous accounts, so it is factually a debt.

Any debt secured against ticket or sponsor ship income is in peril given current situation. Radz has already said that the shirt deal is 30/40% lower in value terms than originally planned.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:38 pm

Yeboah wrote:The creditors figure is in the previous accounts, so it is factually a debt.

Any debt secured against ticket or sponsor ship income is in peril given current situation. Radz has already said that the shirt deal is 30/40% lower in value terms than originally planned.

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove, other than the fact that you don't understand finance.

You stated that "The club is over £80m in debt". Having creditors is a normal part of business and is not the same as being in debt. Leeds had £7m of net liabilities in the 2019 accounts, which is somewhat smaller than the £668m of net liabilities shown in Chelsea's accounts.

Accruing for income received in advance is again a normal part of business and will be part of the creditors figure for any football club that sells season tickets

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Conclave member

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:41 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:
Yeboah wrote:The creditors figure is in the previous accounts, so it is factually a debt.

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove, other than the fact that you don't understand finance.

You stated that "The club is over £80m in debt". Having creditors is a normal part of business and is not the same as being in debt. Leeds had £7m of net liabilities in the 2019 accounts, which is somewhat smaller than the £668m of net liabilities shown in Chelsea's accounts.

Accruing for income received in advance is again a normal part of business and will be part of the creditors figure for any football club that sells season tickets

Indeed, I'm a season ticket holder, I've paid up for 20/21 already, technically the club owe me ~£400 and they'll reduce what they owe by ~£20 for every home match which takes place with fans allowed in.

There's no situation where I could pay for my season ticket in arrears so I'm not sure what anyone expects the club to do in the finances other than call this a debt. Though in normal circumstances it's never going to lead to cash out of the door.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:32 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Yeboah wrote:It's funny how people avoid the obvious sometimes even from some people who have direct experience.

It's impossible to say what would have happened without the pandemic break but it's foolish to suggest in my opinion that it didn't help us the most.

Ricardo Lunari who played for Bielsa says

Bielsa made his name winning three league titles in Argentina with Newell's Old Boys and Velez Sarsfield, where the season was divided into two leagues of 19 games.

"If they had been 38-game seasons I don't know if the players physically and mentally could stand another 19 games," Ricardo Lunari, another former Bielsa player to later become a coach, told Sky Sports."

Well, tbf, you keep quoting/referring to this from the past, but what I'm saying is that Bielsa appears to have learned from his previous experiences and adjusted accordingly. I do agree that we'll never actually know for a fact - you have your opinion and I have mine, and that's as far as we can go - but it is a fact that we were showing no sign at all of fatigue, whether mentally or physically, with only nine games to go.
I don't think it's "foolish" to suggest it didn't benefit us the most: we are not the only high tempo team in the league.
I would actually be interested to know from our players if we adjusted anything behind the scenes after last season. That might be more instructive than what former players are saying about the past.
Anyway, all good: we went up, it's just chatting shite.

We will now never know, but i like to think like DL says that Bert may have sat up and thought about it from last year and is now thinking there might be some truth in the end of season burn outs at his other clubs, all good for us if he has. The break certainly appeared to effect clubs very differently in all the leagues.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:15 am

Don't know why but i gotta good feeling about this one.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/08/07/ ... ve/464632/

I think Foyth gonna come as well.

:basket:
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:55 am

kennyb41 wrote:I think Foyth gonna come as well.

As Andrew Ridgeley so famously sang, 'You gotta have Foyth... '

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:50 am

Whenever I've seen Foyth play he's always looked a liability to me. I'm hoping that the poor quality source that Kenny has quoted are doing a bit of lazy journalism aka guessing

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:18 am

Bobbycollins wrote:Try to find some positives to talk about, as your Cassandra role is becoming a bit tedious.

Whilst I agree with your perspective on Yeboah (Look! A pandemic break! I mean, a manager who will never get us promoted! I mean, a squirrel! And so, tediously, on and on), Cassandra is perhaps not the best comparison. Wiki: "In modern usage her name is employed as a rhetorical device to indicate someone whose accurate prophecies are not believed."

Probs best if we just go with "not believed", and ignore the "accurate" :P

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:20 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:Whenever I've seen Foyth play he's always looked a liability to me. I'm hoping that the poor quality source that Kenny has quoted are doing a bit of lazy journalism aka guessing

He dives in 2 quickly for me - so either gets a card or looks a prick when the winter dances round him.

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:27 am

Interesting comment on big kev from Phil Hay this morning. It seems as if RBL may have said that the obligation to buy was dependent on Leeds being a prem league club by 1st June.

In normal seasons the prem league AGM that marked our official return would be in late May, not early August.

RBL are hoping that "good faith" means Leeds should extend this obligation to the actual date of the Prem league AGM.

I don't know about european law but good faith arguments rarely work well in English contract law as you are implying terms that are not in the contract.

I've thought for some time RBL are making too noise about this.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:32 am

Matt White wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:Try to find some positives to talk about, as your Cassandra role is becoming a bit tedious.

Whilst I agree with your perspective on Yeboah (Look! A pandemic break! I mean, a manager who will never get us promoted! I mean, a squirrel! And so, tediously, on and on), Cassandra is perhaps not the best comparison. Wiki: "In modern usage her name is employed as a rhetorical device to indicate someone whose accurate prophecies are not believed."

Chicken licken.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:41 am

Matt White wrote:

Yep, good point. Lazy writing on my part.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:49 am

Blackwhite wrote:
Matt White wrote:

Chicken licken.

Look at this abused cunt again....even goes to the lengths of bringing one of his alter egos into play as well...BW MW ur the same fcking person ya abused numptie

Must dash.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:59 am

Arnieb wrote:Interesting comment on big kev from Phil Hay this morning. It seems as if RBL may have said that the obligation to buy was dependent on Leeds being a prem league club by 1st June.

In normal seasons the prem league AGM that marked our official return would be in late May, not early August.

RBL are hoping that "good faith" means Leeds should extend this obligation to the actual date of the Prem league AGM.

I don't know about european law but good faith arguments rarely work well in English contract law as you are implying terms that are not in the contract.

I've thought for some time RBL are making too noise about this.

Yup. Always depended on the exact wording of the contract as we've discussed before.
Most footie contracts go to June 1st, and if that is the case here then they have no case.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:59 am

Maybe we can get someone to check on the fine print on Costa's contract.

Maybe there could be a way out of having to give £16m quid and four years of top wages to an average Winger. I would think his wages have now increased to Premiership rate.
Yes I know we've now got Premiership money. That's no excuse for squandering it though.
Phisher/Email fraudster.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 pm

kennyb41 wrote:Look at this abused cunt again....even goes to the lengths of bringing one of his alter egos into play as well...BW MW ur the same fcking person ya abused numptie

Must dash.

You're embarrassing yourself a bit here... I'm just gonna say it once cos getting dragged down into a "he said she said" argument has no appeal for me. I'm not Blackwhite, ok?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:35 pm

And so's his wife.

Return to “The Square Ball”