Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:53 pm

metalsmurf wrote:This was a done deal as in permanent after loan finished. No?

I assumed so. I guess the club ‘puts pen to paper’ announcement was just tidying up the paperwork.
Member of a clique

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Can't wait to see him tearing into the Premiership defences.
Phisher/Email fraudster.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:07 am

welshwhite wrote:Can't wait to see him tearing into the Premiership defences.

i wouldn't hold your breath. the guy's a textbook example of someone who had a lot of pace & not all that much else, lost a fair bit of it after a bad injury, never the same afterwards, but some sucker pays big bucks for him hoping that he'll get it back... a bit like lee sharpe or david rocastle 25 plus years ago, or Torres at Chelsea, or Sanchez at manyoo [though that last one was more miles on the clock than a specific injury], etc etc....

though looking at this list of all time biggest second tier deals, he's probably not the worst player on it, if only because of [villa vintage] Ross M's inclusion, but is likely in the bottom half imo.

https://www.squawka.com/en/most-expensi ... p-players/

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 am

the flying pig wrote:

i wouldn't hold your breath. the guy's a textbook example of someone who had a lot of pace & not all that much else, lost a fair bit of it after a bad injury, never the same afterwards, but some sucker pays big bucks for him hoping that he'll get it back... a bit like lee sharpe or david rocastle 25 plus years ago.

though looking at this list of all time biggest second tier deals, he's probably not the worst player on it, if only because of [villa vintage] Ross M's inclusion, but is likely in the bottom half imo.

https://www.squawka.com/en/most-expensi ... p-players/

He’s the worst on that list by a country mile.....twice.

Say again, where’s the money for this deal come from?

And if it’s there now, why couldn’t we have bought a decent striker with it in January? Promotion race would be over by now if we had.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:20 am

Yeboah wrote:

And if it’s there now, why couldn’t we have bought a decent striker with it in January? Promotion race would be over by now if we had.

I would imagine that the money came from the sale of Jack Clarke and the club, being well-managed, set aside the funds which are doubtless in instalments, to cover the eventual signing of Costa. As such the funds weren't freely available in Jan and in any case a permanent signing in Jan would have had an impact on FFP, whereas the Costa deal is after the June year end.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:26 am

Whatever the benefits or drawbacks of the deal I'm baffled at anyone being surprised at the fee (not here but I've seen a lot of it online). We've known about the fee, and the fact it was mandatory, for nearly a year; do people seriously pay so little attention?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 am

Professor Weeto wrote:Whatever the benefits or drawbacks of the deal I'm baffled at anyone being surprised at the fee (not here but I've seen a lot of it online). We've known about the fee, and the fact it was mandatory, for nearly a year; do people seriously pay so little attention?

surprised no, but now's a sensible time to comment because: (a) it's properly come to pass, there was always a hope before that it might not, or else that he'd come good; and (b) we've probably got a fair idea of his abilities now, didn't when the deal was made

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:32 am

the flying pig wrote:

i wouldn't hold your breath. the guy's a textbook example of someone who had a lot of pace & not all that much else,

I always think of him affectionately as, Sacko.

It's quite cute when his pace takes him and the ball over the dead ball line for a goal kick :cheers:
Phisher/Email fraudster.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:35 am

Yeboah wrote:...https://www.squawka.com/en/most-expensi ... players/...
He’s the worst on that list by a country mile.....twice.

Ross M was the worst with hindsight and you arguably could have known it at the time given that he'd turned 30... i suppose they at the time hoped they'd get one or two good seasons out of him and that'd justify the expense, given that promotion was at stake. in fairness the guy did have c 70 goals over the three preceding seasons, must have seemed as close to a [short term] sure thing as you get with transfers.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 am

the flying pig wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:Whatever the benefits or drawbacks of the deal I'm baffled at anyone being surprised at the fee (not here but I've seen a lot of it online). We've known about the fee, and the fact it was mandatory, for nearly a year; do people seriously pay so little attention?

surprised no, but now's a sensible time to comment because: (a) it's properly come to pass, there was always a hope before that it might not, or else that he'd come good; and (b) we've probably got a fair idea of his abilities now, didn't when the deal was made

Yeah, I'm not talking about the discussion here, really, more people on Twitter etc who seem to have been genuinely blindsided by the size of the fee.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:41 am

Costa only excels when running into a deserted left back area, immediately before messing up a cross from the same. That said area is so rarely deserted - given his well known predilection for such a run - renders him widely futile.
I like it. What is it?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:42 am

welshwhite wrote:
the flying pig wrote:

i wouldn't hold your breath. the guy's a textbook example of someone who had a lot of pace & not all that much else,

I always think of him affectionately as, Sacko.

It's quite cute when his pace takes him and the ball over the dead ball line :cheers:

well, he has more quality than sacko, and i doubt that, even before injuries, he was ever quite *that* quick.

but i don't think the quality he has is enough to compensate for only being, by the looks of things, moderately fast these days.

the best hope is that in the PL we're going to be defending deep and hitting on the counter every week - maybe he's got just enough pace left to be effective in that system, it's near impossible for sprinting speed to be *that* effective when teams are parking the bus most weeks. i don't thikn this is a *total* pipe dream, but based on what we've seen to date feels like a very long shot.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 am

We could lose out on Harrison or White because we've bought Costa.

Harrison and White have greatly improved all aspects of their game.
Not really sure if that's been the case with Costa, quite the opposite in fact - Wolves seen the best of him.
Phisher/Email fraudster.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:50 am

I think Costa forms a good partnership with Pablo and Ayling on the right hand side of the penalty area, in particular in home games, where the quick passing breaks down a packed defence. Unfortunately his eventual driven cross usually bypasses everyone. I also thought his goal against Cardiff (?) where he ran from half way before shooting into the corner of the goal was exceptional and probably not the type of goal that could be scored by any of our other players.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:08 am

Be interesting how he gets on at a higher level in the Prem. Better opposition but much wider expanses for him to run into.
Keep Fighting

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:10 am

Bobbycollins wrote:
Yeboah wrote:

I would imagine that the money came from the sale of Jack Clarke and the club, being well-managed, set aside the funds which are doubtless in instalments, to cover the eventual signing of Costa. As such the funds weren't freely available in Jan and in any case a permanent signing in Jan would have had an impact on FFP, whereas the Costa deal is after the June year end.

Did you see the club accounts?

The owners have regularly put in double figure millions each season they’ve been here and we still make massive losses.

There is no money....... unless Radz has bought him himself.

We’ve fucked the FFP with this deal now anyway, unless we get promoted and/or lots of funds come in from sales. Assume KP sale amongst others will balance the books if needs be.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:12 am

welshwhite wrote:We could lose out on Harrison or White because we've bought Costa.

Harrison and White have greatly improved all aspects of their game.
Not really sure if that's been the case with Costa, quite the opposite in fact - Wolves seen the best of him.

Dippers amongst others will be in for White, so we’ve never had a permanent chance with him anyway.

If we go up, Harrison isn’t good enough so that’s no great loss imo.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:15 am

£16m for Costa makes Bamford look like the best signing we’ve ever made.

Can’t believe anyone would be vaguely positive about him.

Arguably Shack could do a similar job (better defensively) and he cost fuck all.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:24 am

Yeboah wrote:£16m for Costa makes Bamford look like the best signing we’ve ever made.

Can’t believe anyone would be vaguely positive about him.

Arguably Shack could do a similar job (better defensively) and he cost fuck all.

That's my main concern, we appear to have no players coming through the ranks.
Those that have been tried have been slung back on the bench - and that's at Championship level.

No Goalkeeper
No Defenders
No Midfielders
And definitely no Strikers.
Phisher/Email fraudster.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:21 am

]
Bobbycollins wrote:
Yeboah wrote:

Did you see the club accounts?

The owners have regularly put in double figure millions each season they’ve been here and we still make massive losses.

There is no money....... unless Radz has bought him himself.

We’ve fucked the FFP with this deal now anyway, unless we get promoted and/or lots of funds come in from sales. Assume KP sale amongst others will balance the books if needs be.

Yes I have read the accounts. As has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions by several posters, funding and losses are totally independent, unrelated activities. As regards the Costa deal, the deal was concluded after the 30 June year end and it won't feature in the 3 year FFP period just ended. The club and Radz have invested/gambled on a promotion winning strategy, for which I am very thankful, irrespective of the outcome.

Return to “The Square Ball”