Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Eddies Boots » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Also, I think the number of on-loan players is restricted in the PL to less than in the EFL.
Though I remember reading about proposed new FIFA rules that would change that, if approved.

jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby jackos » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:24 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:The problem with that approach is the rules about the number of players who need to be considered home grown in PL squads.

Currently 8 of 25 named squad players have to have been trained at an English club for 3 years before turning 21. I'm sure we have no real problems right now but we will have to buy British when we can.

Of our most regular starting XI, these qualify:
Ayling
Cooper
White
Phillips
Bamford
Harrison

These don't:
Either keeper
Dallas
Klich
Pablo
Costa


Is there any chance Brexit will change these rules?
Traditional Socialist Bastard

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:25 pm

jackos wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:The problem with that approach is the rules about the number of players who need to be considered home grown in PL squads.

Currently 8 of 25 named squad players have to have been trained at an English club for 3 years before turning 21. I'm sure we have no real problems right now but we will have to buy British when we can.

Of our most regular starting XI, these qualify:
Ayling
Cooper
White
Phillips
Bamford
Harrison

These don't:
Either keeper
Dallas
Klich
Pablo
Costa


Is there any chance Brexit will change these rules?

Fuck knows but I did see something which suggested 150 odd current EPL players from the EU wouldn't meet current work permit requirements.

They might be able to go back to the UK passport rule we had 30 years ago? Except I'm sure they'd have to allow more than 3 foreign players.

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:32 pm

jackos wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:The problem with that approach is the rules about the number of players who need to be considered home grown in PL squads.

Currently 8 of 25 named squad players have to have been trained at an English club for 3 years before turning 21. I'm sure we have no real problems right now but we will have to buy British when we can.

Of our most regular starting XI, these qualify:
Ayling
Cooper
White
Phillips
Bamford
Harrison

These don't:
Either keeper
Dallas
Klich
Pablo
Costa


Is there any chance Brexit will change these rules?

Small question regarding Dallas, you say English, but is it not a UK thing. He was a youngster at my local club Crusaders. Would he still be classed as a foreigner?
Andymac

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:
jackos wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:The problem with that approach is the rules about the number of players who need to be considered home grown in PL squads.

Currently 8 of 25 named squad players have to have been trained at an English club for 3 years before turning 21. I'm sure we have no real problems right now but we will have to buy British when we can.

Of our most regular starting XI, these qualify:
Ayling
Cooper
White
Phillips
Bamford
Harrison

These don't:
Either keeper
Dallas
Klich
Pablo
Costa


Is there any chance Brexit will change these rules?

Small question regarding Dallas, you say English, but is it not a UK thing. He was a youngster at my local club Crusaders. Would he still be classed as a foreigner?

I'm not 100% but I don't think so. Nationality isn't part of the rule, some of Orta's earlier Spanish youth signings would count as home grown now I think (any of them still here?).

jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby jackos » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:39 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Small question regarding Dallas, you say English, but is it not a UK thing. He was a youngster at my local club Crusaders. Would he still be classed as a foreigner?


English club according to Wikipedia.
Traditional Socialist Bastard

User avatar
Bobbycollins
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Bobbycollins » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 pm

The rule covers both English and Welsh clubs - "a club and/or any other football club affiliated with the Football Association (“FA“) or Football Association of Wales (for example, EPL or non-league clubs)."

User avatar
Leeds0269
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Leeds0269 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:21 pm

You can submit a squad of up to 25 for PL. A max of 17 can be non-homegrown (that is 3 years at any English (and Welsh) FA registered club between ages of 15 and 21).

So irrespective of nationality they count.

Dallas is officially a foreigner having played his early career in N.Ireland I'm afraid. So is Harrison because he was in yankee land despite having English nationality.

Few other first teamers:

Roberts Yes
Alioski No
Forshaw Yes

Though it's also worth noting that any players from anywhere aged under 21 don't have to be registered.
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Leeds0269 wrote:You can submit a squad of up to 25 for PL. A max of 17 can be non-homegrown (that is 3 years at any English (and Welsh) FA registered club between ages of 15 and 21).

So irrespective of nationality they count.

Dallas is officially a foreigner having played his early career in N.Ireland I'm afraid. So is Harrison because he was in yankee land despite having English nationality.

Few other first teamers:

Roberts Yes
Alioski No
Forshaw Yes

Though it's also worth noting that any players from anywhere aged under 21 don't have to be registered.

I'm actually more confused now ( it's not that hard if you knew me) but I know Dallas has had a British Passport all his life and is a UK citizen so there were the confusion lies. So it football terms he is a foreigner but in normal life he's a UK citizen with a UK passport?
Thanks for the answers by the way!
Andymac

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:
Leeds0269 wrote:You can submit a squad of up to 25 for PL. A max of 17 can be non-homegrown (that is 3 years at any English (and Welsh) FA registered club between ages of 15 and 21).

So irrespective of nationality they count.

Dallas is officially a foreigner having played his early career in N.Ireland I'm afraid. So is Harrison because he was in yankee land despite having English nationality.

Few other first teamers:

Roberts Yes
Alioski No
Forshaw Yes

Though it's also worth noting that any players from anywhere aged under 21 don't have to be registered.

I'm actually more confused now ( it's not that hard if you knew me) but I know Dallas has had a British Passport all his life and is a UK citizen so there were the confusion lies. So it football terms he is a foreigner but in normal life he's a UK citizen with a UK passport?
Thanks for the answers by the way!

It's because they can't/couldn't discriminate against EU nationals so they came up with this 3 years between 15-21 thing. The Welsh are only included because some of them pay in the English leagues.

User avatar
Leeds0269
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Leeds0269 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:
Leeds0269 wrote:You can submit a squad of up to 25 for PL. A max of 17 can be non-homegrown (that is 3 years at any English (and Welsh) FA registered club between ages of 15 and 21).

So irrespective of nationality they count.

Dallas is officially a foreigner having played his early career in N.Ireland I'm afraid. So is Harrison because he was in yankee land despite having English nationality.

Few other first teamers:

Roberts Yes
Alioski No
Forshaw Yes

Though it's also worth noting that any players from anywhere aged under 21 don't have to be registered.

I'm actually more confused now ( it's not that hard if you knew me) but I know Dallas has had a British Passport all his life and is a UK citizen so there were the confusion lies. So it football terms he is a foreigner but in normal life he's a UK citizen with a UK passport?
Thanks for the answers by the way!


I was using foreigner in a rather glib sense so forgive the indulgence!

Put simply, both Dallas and Harrison are UK citizens, but they fall foul of the premier league rules because they weren't trained as a youngster at a club in the English & Wales football association.

I think you may be confusing the UK (and possibly EU) right to work rules with the PL rules on registration.
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:31 pm

Everyday is a school day, thanks Phil & Leeds0269!
Andymac

User avatar
Bobbycollins
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Bobbycollins » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 pm

The rule isn't that unreasonable when viewed from the perspective that the EPL and the EFL are trying to provide a platform for the development of future English international players.

jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby jackos » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:04 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Everyday is a school day, thanks Phil & Leeds0269!


The rule does have some odd consequences though because players like Cesc Fabregas who moved to Arsenal aged 16 count has "home grown". Clearly he isn't. That's why I wondered if leaving the EU might change things to the benefit of British "grown" players.
Traditional Socialist Bastard

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:06 pm

Helder Costa permanent four-year deal announced.
Member of a clique

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby MightyWhite » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:07 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Helder Costa permanent four-year deal announced.


To be met with universal approval I suspect :rabbit:
Keep Fighting

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby LSD&2Es » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Reckon we've got Costa on the cheap with loads of conditions? Good for the lad, hopefully he feels a proper part of the family now. Sort of player MB can improve
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Yeboah
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Yeboah » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:41 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Helder Costa permanent four-year deal announced.


Worse than not selling KP.

Wonder where the money has come from?

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:47 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Helder Costa permanent four-year deal announced.


To be met with universal approval I suspect :rabbit:


I do not doubt it.
Member of a clique

User avatar
metalsmurf
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Littleborough, Gtr Scumland

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby metalsmurf » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:47 pm

This was a done deal as in permanent after loan finished. No?
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests