Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Tommy

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:52 am

JKA was a curiously terrible signing even by our standards. He's actually added a new category to below: Augustin (never actually get to see if he's shite).

Tommy wrote:I suspect that if JKA comes he’ll prove to be somewhere between Doukara (the high watermark of largely ineffective secondary strikers we’ve had in recent years because he was at once much better than everyone made out but still curiously shite), Ekuban (ran around a lot without ever looking like scoring, broadly well liked but also basically shite) and Grot (young enough to have potential but very probably shite).

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:55 am

I would still have picked him ahead of soft twat

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:55 pm

Wow I hadn’t actually thought of this when I posted before but given what it has already cost us and what it could yet cost us, is this actually the worst signing we’ve ever made? Has to be up there right?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Tommy wrote:JKA was a curiously terrible signing even by our standards. He's actually added a new category to below: Augustin (never actually get to see if he's shite).

Tommy wrote:I suspect that if JKA comes he’ll prove to be somewhere between Doukara (the high watermark of largely ineffective secondary strikers we’ve had in recent years because he was at once much better than everyone made out but still curiously shite), Ekuban (ran around a lot without ever looking like scoring, broadly well liked but also basically shite) and Grot (young enough to have potential but very probably shite).

Tommy - as you very well know, all dubious LUFC strikers signings are to be measured on the Showunmi Scale.
Member of a clique

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:28 pm

metalsmurf wrote:
Ontolly wrote:But are we still obliged to buy the fat cunt?

I would hope that the contract includes a get out for injury.

Hopefully he needs to agree to the move helped by the fact he's generally been made unwelcome by Bielsa

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Tommy wrote:Wow I hadn’t actually thought of this when I posted before but given what it has already cost us and what it could yet cost us, is this actually the worst signing we’ve ever made? Has to be up there right?

Too early to say really, depends where we go from here. We could yet sign him, get him fit and find he's good value at £18m then write off this seasons share add the cost of doing such a good deal. Equally of course, we could never see him again (with or without significant future costs).

Seems likely you're right of course but I don't think not extending through July stops us having to buy if we go up so the story isn't necessarily over just yet.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:53 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Tommy - as you very well know, all dubious LUFC strikers signings are to be measured on the Showunmi Scale.

Didn’t cost a great deal, played a few & scored a couple. He’s not really comparable.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Tommy wrote:Wow I hadn’t actually thought of this when I posted before but given what it has already cost us and what it could yet cost us, is this actually the worst signing we’ve ever made? Has to be up there right?

The benefit of hindsight is all very well but I'm not sure that JKA was a "curiously terrible" signing or the worst signing we've ever made. He clearly wasn't match fit but presumably the club looked at his pedigree and the amount of time left in the season, together with the potential cost and FFP consequences of some of the other possible signings and decided that there was sufficient time for him to make a contribution. He was then injured, got himself honed during lockdown and then was injured again. That doesn't make the original decision bad. I'm sure there have been other signings that defy logic or where there was little thought involved - Morrison for example.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Member of a clique

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:53 pm

By worst signing I do mean as in how it ultimately turned out, not how sensible it was at the time. As in, we've paid a lot of money in wages for him by our standards and by taking him it means we didn't get another striker, which could well be a major reason we miss out on promotion, which means Bielsa leaves and we have to sell Phillips among others. In terms of medium to long term impact he could genuinely prove to be amongst the worst, if not the worst. As I was writing this, Eric also posted that we now could be in a legal battle with an absurdly wealthy soft drinks company on top of everything else.

Morison was only actually a bad signing in terms of Becchio going the other way. It's deeply unfashionable to admit it but he spearheaded a very young team that should probably have gone down and thus doesn't rank anywhere near the worst signings we've made.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:16 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:https://twitter.com/manuelveth/status/1278351104724496384?s=21

€21m would be a travesty for a guy who can't get a sniff behind Pat Bamford. well worth us slinging Levi Solicitors LLP a few tens of thousands to see if they can get us out of it. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What about JK himself, would he be able to refuse to go to a place where he's obviously not wanted [as, i guess, opposed to staying at a place where he's obvoisly not wanted], or has he signed any such option away?

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:22 pm

the flying pig wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:https://twitter.com/manuelveth/status/1278351104724496384?s=21

€21m would be a travesty for a guy who can't get a sniff behind Pat Bamford. well worth us slinging Levi Solicitors LLP a few tens of thousands to see if they can get us out of it. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What about JK himself, would he be able to refuse to go to a place where he's obviously not wanted [as, i guess, opposed to staying at a place where he's obvoisly not wanted], or has he signed any such option away?

10% off if we go through the podcast...
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

BC

Postby BC » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:24 pm

Imagine having to turn up for training at a club that's just lost a legal battle not to sign you. Would be a real morale boost that.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm

Lawyers: guaranteed to make a shit cunt even more expensive, but just as shit.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:34 pm

BC wrote:Imagine having to turn up for training at a club that's just lost a legal battle not to sign you. Would be a real morale boost that.

I don't think bielsa is interested even one tiny bit. likeliest thing imo is that he'd go straight out on loan somewhere. if it weren't for the absurdly large fee we'd probably try to pay him off, though I dread to think what his wages might be.

if we don't go up then £20m ish would be an extraordinary amount to pay, for an almost value-less asset, by a 'business' that earns sub-zero profit on an annual turnover of c £50m a year. feels like almost though to put us into administration? though I suppose not, I guess it'd be amortised over a number of years and reduce our remaining transfer budget to minus something.

I think it's really shit or bust, as they say, with this one.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:37 pm

maybe there's a compromise where we could pay RB say £5m in return for not having to take him?

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:38 pm

the flying pig wrote:
BC wrote:Imagine having to turn up for training at a club that's just lost a legal battle not to sign you. Would be a real morale boost that.

I don't think bielsa is interested even one tiny bit. likeliest thing imo is that he'd go straight out on loan somewhere. if it weren't for the absurdly large fee we'd probably try to pay him off, though I dread to think what his wages might be.

if we don't go up then £20m ish would be an extraordinary amount to pay, for an almost value-less asset, by a 'business' that earns sub-zero profit on an annual turnover of c £50m a year. feels like almost though to put us into administration? though I suppose not, I guess it'd be amortised over a number of years and reduce our remaining transfer budget to minus something.

Pretty sure it's off if we don't go up.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:41 pm

metalsmurf wrote:
the flying pig wrote:

Pretty sure it's off if we don't go up.

oh, is that right? that'd be a lot less serious. PL money is sufficient for us to comfortably absorb at least one or two fuckups like this and still be perfectly solvent, albeit terminally uncompetitive at that level.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:43 pm

the flying pig wrote:maybe there's a compromise where we could pay RB say £5m in return for not having to take him?

Spoken like a general counsel.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:13 pm

the flying pig wrote:
if we don't go up then £20m ish would be an extraordinary amount to pay, for an almost value-less asset

Why the big down on JKA? He scored 12 goals for RB in the Bundesliga and Chumps league, which I suggest makes him somewhat more than almost value-less. £20m for top flight goal-scorers is not a lot these days.

Return to “The Square Ball”