Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
welshwhite

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:46 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Bielsa personally chatted with Poveda to come and join us (probably felt that he needed to step in). Now we're reading that Augustin decided we were the club for him because Bielsa is coach. Maybe Bielsa also had a chat with him to join us?

It would be unfair to give Orta the boot now as the five year plan will soon be over.

We can keep on as the tea maker :thumbl:

According to Adam Pope Bielsa didn't speak with JKA

Fair enough with that one, I did however read somewhere that Bielsa chatted with Poveda, could have been just a rumour of course.

The next time I chat with Marcelo I'll ask him.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:55 am

Ontolly wrote:
the flying pig wrote:i think we all know how this ends - something along the lines of:

(a) faced with competition, bamford ups his game considerably, starts scoring at 'goal every other game' kinda territory, enough to keep us in & around the top two until say late April and to keep his place as an automatic starter, with the new guy restricted to the odd bench etc cameo;
(b) menaing that JKA starts to get dispirited, rusty, quite possibly overweight; until
(c) PB gets quite badly crocked in late April, thrusting JKA into the spotlight;
(d) but he's well off the pace;
(e) we slip into third place, pipped no doubt by brentford [pontus scoring their crucial winner in some crunch game or other]; and
(f) etc.

That's just the kind of hope that keeps me going :salute:

Nah what will happen is this:

Young Kevin Arnold will not make the bench as he hasn't trained, instead Bamford will labour through 70 minutes before we replace him with Tyler Roberts, who will come on and score a final 20 minute hat trick.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:00 am

Jean-Kevin is a weird combination of names. Kind of like Alistair-Bubba.

Score goals? And I'll think it's the most beautiful name in the world.
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:57 am

the flying pig wrote:i think we all know how this ends - something along the lines of:

(a) faced with competition, bamford ups his game considerably, starts scoring at 'goal every other game' kinda territory, enough to keep us in & around the top two until say late April and to keep his place as an automatic starter, with the new guy restricted to the odd bench etc cameo;
(b) menaing that JKA starts to get dispirited, rusty, quite possibly overweight; until
(c) PB gets quite badly crocked in late April, thrusting JKA into the spotlight;
(d) but he's well off the pace;
(e) we slip into third place, pipped no doubt by brentford [pontus scoring their crucial winner in some crunch game or other]; and
(f) etc.

This is too plausible to consider right now.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:24 am

Tommy

Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:04 am

Troubling to hear that Scum were supposedly also interested in JKA. Their transfers have been basically pish for a while now (though I suppose Daniel James is debatable). I hope we've not just nabbed the forward equivalent of Fred from them.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:10 am

Victor Orta says Marcelo Bielsa's excitement over the potential signing of Jean-Kevin Augustin made him "work harder" to land the striker's signature this month.

The 22-year-old forward put pen to paper on a loan deal until the end of the season at Elland Road, with the Whites holding an option to buy upon promotion to the Premier League.

Augustin has joined Leeds from Bundesliga outfit RB Leipzig, having spent the first half of the campaign on loan at Ligue 1 side Monaco.
His capture has brought to an end a month-long search for a new front man in LS11 following Eddie Nketiah's departure back to parent club Arsenal.

United's backroom staff gave an in-depth presentation to the former France Under-21s starlet in his native language to ensure he was sold on Bielsa's project, and it was was enough to seal the deal for one of Europe's brightest young talents.

Director of football Orta revealed that Augustin turned down late interest from elsewhere - including Manchester United - to make the move to West Yorkshire, with the Paris Saint-Germain academy product readying himself for a potential debut against Wigan on Saturday afternoon.

"Obviously Marcelo Bielsa has a massive knowledge of French football and as he’s said in press conferences, I always propose players and we discuss our skills," Orta said.
"He knows the players I recommend to him need to fit any requirement of our style of play.

"When I gave the name of Augustin, Marcelo and his staff had a lot of information and data from France and Marcelo was really excited and believed he would be a good fit for us.

"We then started to work harder to get this player for the head coach.”

Asked about the transfer and the scouting of Augustin, he added: "We always monitor lots of leagues and we knew Jean-Kevin following his appearances with Paris Saint Germain in the youth league and in the Under-19 European Championship when he was amazing.

"He reached a high level, he was a player we highlighted and we followed him during his period with other teams.

"This winter, we had a meeting with the scouting department to determine any players who perhaps for some reason weren’t playing enough minutes or might be available.

"When I spoke to the agent of Augustin to see if he was available, he told me ‘there may be a small possibility’.

"From then we began working, but at the start of January it was difficult following the change of coach at AS Monaco.

"After a couple of weeks we received a call from the agent to say that the possibility was now open. With the efforts of many people, we tried to act really quickly to secure the player.”

Following the arrival of Augustin, Bielsa all but confirmed that the club's transfer dealings were complete ahead of Friday's deadline.

United have added three new faces to their ranks during the winter window, with 18-year-old Italian goalkeeper Elia Caprile and England Under-20s winger Ian Poveda completing Bielsa's business.

“We had three goals and the main goals we have managed to get," Orta reflected.

"In this market it is not easy to bring in this quality. We’ve got an exciting young goalkeeper and young winger and a striker who can help us to fight and achieve our goal, which everyone knows about.”

"I don't give a flying fuck what welshwhite say's about me, I've worked my bollocks off to get this deal over the line - the fucking sheepshagging cunt"

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... et-1377298

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:14 am

Tommy wrote:Troubling to hear that Scum were supposedly also interested in JKA. They're transfers have been basically pish for a while now (though I suppose Daniel James is debatable). I hope we've not just nabbed the forward equivalent of Fred from them.

I'm sure Fred would do fine for us, tbf.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:32 am

Terre Harte II wrote:Jean-Kevin is a weird combination of names. Kind of like Alistair-Bubba.

Score goals? And I'll think it's the most beautiful name in the world.

Another one in a similar combination..........Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:36 am

Apparently the name Kevin became hugely popular in France, roughly around the time of JKA's birth, due to the the coincident release of Dancing With Wolves and Home Alone.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170119/we-nee ... ept-france

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 am

Actually the Franch Kevin craze came quite a bit before Augustin's birth. Damn my shitty maths/inability to believe that 1991 was nearly 30 years ago. Maybe his parents just couldn't let go of the idea.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:02 am

Goals pay the rent and Keegan does his share

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:04 am

I don't have a problem with Orta finding them now Bert has the final say.

In Bert i trust.

:basket:
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:13 am

metalsmurf wrote:It's like going back in time, we've signed Ian n Kevin

westlake and nicholls. class.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am

welshwhite wrote:Victor Orta says Marcelo Bielsa's excitement over the potential signing of Jean-Kevin Augustin made him "work harder" to land the striker's signature this month.

Following the arrival of Augustin, Bielsa all but confirmed that the club's transfer dealings were complete ahead of Friday's deadline.

"I don't give a flying fuck what welshwhite say's about me, I've worked my bollocks off to get this deal over the line - the fucking sheepshagging cunt"

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... et-1377298

Don't think much of the YEP translation. When I looked at the original in Spanish, I'm sure it said something along the lines of "I wish to respect the views of Mr WW, without whose ideas and inspiration, I would still be seeking players from Middlesbrough"

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:53 pm

As I said with Costa, if he was 'any good' he wouldn't be at Leeds.

Not knocking him or the club but no one who signed for 11m 2 years ago had a loan spell in the championship on his intended career path. So this is a recovery mission for him.

Having said that it's great to have a body in and he's young and hopefully enthusiastic. Not sure what the fuck the club have been doing if JKA was anywhere near the top of the original list, waiting till this late in the window. Seems a tad shambolic.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Yeboah wrote: Seems a tad shambolic.

Given the source, this is high praise indeed.
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:03 pm

I'd assume that any player who has recently scored at this level and played in this country would have been above him on the list so at the minimum Adams and Gray. When those didn't work out he was probably the next name down in terms of players who wanted to come and were available.

From reading a couple of articles about JKA it seems that previous coaches and occasionally team-mates have recently questioned his attitude/application. Lots of talk of potential but it hasn't amounted to much. If he's heard anything about Bielsa he'll presumably know that he's in for a very hard time here, which suggests he's at least willing to improve. I suspect we'll not see him for a while. Poveda probably more likely to see the bench first but I suppose it depends on injuries etc.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:08 pm

So long as Bielsa doesn't hug him in training when he finally nets one, I'm good.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:So long as Bielsa doesn't hug him in training when he finally nets one, I'm good.

Yeah, it all went down hill for Bam Bam after that hug!
Andymac

Return to “The Square Ball”