Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Yeboah

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Yeboah » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:23 pm

Jay Roy grot looked good on YouTube to be fair.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:56 pm

welshwhite wrote:He looks a real 'stick your laces through the fucker' type of player.

Let's just hope Bielsa gives him a free licence to 'just bang it' it's something we lack in games.
Could very well improve our goals to chances ratio :thumbl:

Or he could be Ekuban II
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:00 pm

Clacton white wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:
welshwhite wrote:
We don't really know that yet, you have a habit of putting two and two together and coming up with five.

Ok to put it simply if he's here for the 23a it's a poor use of resources.

Totally agree , so lets hope its first team . Good thing is Man City play very similar style so probably not too hard to adapt ....after all Pep learnt from Bielsa .
Disappointment for me is no new striker - the two linked both denied by their clubs . Problem is going into the last 3rd of the season with one recognised striker ....who could get injured or ....errrrrr .....not be in very good form :shock: :shock: . Problem is that the recognised striker is Bamford .....if the club get up it will probably be despite Bamford , not because of . Looks a carbon copy of last season's transfer window in terms of what the club needs as to what the club actually gets ...plus futile chasing of players when maybe emphasis could be shifted elsewhere to more viable targets . I really hope Bielsa doesn't think Bamford is capable of doing the job on his own and with no sort of back up or replacement . Getting more and more worried as the closing of window gets nearer and nearer . In Bamford I DO NOT trust .

Aye no bigger supporter of the academy and using your own young players than me but at this moment with little money seemingly available the focus needs to be on the first team.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 pm

If we can sign Jon-Jev in addition to Pov, I'll be much happier than being held to ransom by Southampton and Watford or having to settle for the likes of Sharp, Wells etc. Hopefully it will be "well done" Orta as WW would say.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:08 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
the flying pig wrote:yeah, dunno. a day or two ago someone mentioned Berahino as a possible signing, with him I'd suspect real age issues (opaque origins in Burundi, career stalling badly in his supposedly early 20s, 'premature' weight gain & hair loss), but wiki says this guy was born in Paris so should be legit in that respect at least.

I have to say that your obsession with the idea that African born players are not the age they say they are borders on the Daily Mail range of not quite okay.

well it's, er, rampant.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 76401.html

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:24 pm

Yeboah wrote:Jay Roy grot looked good on YouTube to be fair.

Westy :thumbl:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:35 pm

the flying pig wrote:
well it's, er, rampant.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 76401.html

But it’s not actually material is it? In this instance we’re looking primarily for a player to get us across the line at the end of the season. Doesn’t matter how old they are.

Some players are past it at 28, others go on til 36. Unlikely that any of those super-eaglets you linked were wrong by 8 years. But your ‘at least he was born in Paris’ type comment was, by and large, just a big ol’ racism.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:01 pm

must admit to getting a little excited about jean-kev, although with the amount of teams he's been linked with in the past and then failed to join, i'm trying to keep a lid on it. nevertheless, he's apparently liked this tweet...

increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:13 pm

he hadn't liked any tweet since 16 december until today....
https://twitter.com/33_augustin/likes
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:34 am

eric olthwaite wrote:But your ‘at least he was born in Paris’ type comment was, by and large, just a big ol’ racism.

I certainly didn’t read it as that when I read TFP’s post in full and in context. Some folk are too quick to allege “racism” in the modern P.C. environment IMHO.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:07 am

Vampire wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:But your ‘at least he was born in Paris’ type comment was, by and large, just a big ol’ racism.

I certainly didn’t read it as that when I read TFP’s post in full and in context. Some folk are too quick to allege “racism” in the modern P.C. environment IMHO.

Absolutely spot on Vamps, you could be forgiven for thinking they are one and the same....the bigot that throws that anti semite card around i mean.

Always strikes me how the pair of em show up to shove posts down they don't like, Just sayin like.

Ahh well, takes allsorts suppose.

Must dash.

:basket: :basket:
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:42 am

There’s a highlights reel of this JKA lad going around that seems to be one decent turn that didn’t actually lead to a goal and then him slotting home a few fairly straightforward chances in matches where everyone seems to be standing off him (and I gather were mostly against lesser sides and/or the sixth goal in a 6-0 drubbing etc). If it’s him and one other forward with more experience in England I’d be alright with it but if we’re putting all our chips on him I can’t help but think it’s the wrong call.

This was tweeted by the official MLS account yesterday and it’s perhaps very timely as a reminder of how much faith you can put in a YouTube supercut. There are some Scum fans in the mentions tweeting their club to sign him (alas, he’s retired).

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:56 am

Yeah I’d like us to go and get a Sharp or a Murray type just to safeguard against floppery.

It’s a shame that Rangers are well in the SPL chase as Defoe would be great to have in our squad. Not sure how he’d get on with the running but he’d score for fun in our team
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:10 am

I thought that the criteria was something like a relatively experienced, proven goalscorer with some mud on his boots at this level. This JKA lad is literally none of those things and yet fans seem to be mad for him already. Hopefully we’re not so daft as to be offering whatever silly amount of money they come up with even if not promoted because that could end up being not just a bad signing but also potentially ruinous.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 am

Tommy wrote:I thought that the criteria was something like a relatively experienced, proven goalscorer with some mud on his boots at this level. This JKA lad is literally none of those things and yet fans seem to be mad for him already. Hopefully we’re not so daft as to be offering whatever silly amount of money they come up with even if not promoted because that could end up being not just a bad signing but also potentially ruinous.

The figure I've seen on Twitter {yeah I know} says 15 million Euros.

Rough estimate, just over twelve and a half million quid?

Myself, I'd rather take that option than £20m on Che Evans.

We're being forced to buy Evans should we get promoted. Not so with Augustin, with him we have an 'option'.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:47 am

Phil Hay has just mentioned that any signing we make now will be our last one in this window, which is not unexpected but does further emphasise how brave it would be to gamble on this lad being good enough, fit enough, able to play in Bielsa’s system, able to adapt to the Championship, able to settle in time to have any impact etc.

Not sure if this lad speaks English but If not, are there any French speakers in our current setup? Obviously Meslier and I think possibly Bamford to some degree? Anyone else?

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:11 am

Tommy wrote:Phil Hay has just mentioned that any signing we make now will be our last one in this window, which is not unexpected but does further emphasise how brave it would be to gamble on this lad being good enough, fit enough, able to play in Bielsa’s system, able to adapt to the Championship, able to settle in time to have any impact etc.

Not sure if this lad speaks English but If not, are there any French speakers in our current setup? Obviously Meslier and I think possibly Bamford to some degree? Anyone else?

I believe it came out that Alioski speaks 5 language as revealed by Klich in a q&a ealier this season and Klich also speaks several. Not sure if French is one but you'd guess it's a candidate. You'd assume any Spanish players could speak a bit too

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 am

Vampire wrote:

And the folk who come out with this ‘modern PC environment’ type of response are always, always white.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:18 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
Vampire wrote:

And the folk who come out with this ‘modern PC environment’ type of response are always, always white.

Surely - after reflection - you can see TFP’s comments weren’t racist?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:09 am

[quote="Tommy"]There’s a highlights reel of this JKA lad going around that seems to be one decent turn that didn’t actually lead to a goal and then him slotting home a few fairly straightforward chances in matches where everyone seems to be standing off him (and I gather were mostly against lesser sides and/or the sixth goal in a 6-0 drubbing etc).

If he can slot home some fairly straightforward chances for us, I'd be happy. As Bielsa would say, there are 5 ways for Bamford to miss - the near post flick at a cross from the right which he takes with his left foot; the near post flick at a cross from the left which he takes with his right foot that goes for a throw in; the right footed lob over the keeper into an empty net that ends in the crowd, the left footed lob from the right over the keeper into an empty net which goes past the left post and any other shot with his right foot where he leans back. I would never criticise Bamford during a game but if he'd scored from some of the fairly straightforward chances recently when the game was goal-less, we would still be well clear of third.

Return to “The Square Ball”