Page 1790 of 1966

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:20 am
by rss1969
Interesting that Costa scored most of his goals for Wolves playing up front/free role. You would have thought that Orta knew this before signing him, Bielsa would surely know this.

Might be worth a try if we fail to get anyone in.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:59 pm
by Clacton white
Yeboah wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:But that's not the reason we haven't got the players we want in, from what we've heard (albeit rumour), the offers we've made have been easily in the acceptable side for the selling clubs.


Well, none have come in and we don't know actually what has been offered.

If they'd been acceptable, we'd have one by now.

Going into another game with one fit striker is criminal.

Even worse when that one fit striker is .......BAMFORD :shock: . Disappointing that nothing of any description has happened so far , half way through the window and no sign of anything - very reminiscent of last season so far . I know not a lot seems to be happening anywhere as yet , but I wouldn't like to see a last minute rush or complete failure for whatever reasons of getting a transfer done ( ie Dan James scenario ) . It is what it is I guess , but from a fan point of view - disappointing .

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:04 pm
by Ponte
Apparently Brentford are after £11m rated Ivan Toney.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:06 pm
by Blackwhite
Ponte wrote:Apparently Brentford are after £11m rated Ivan Toney.

So Theyvan Toney?

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:21 pm
by dirty leeds
Malik Wilks just signed to Hull and they're said to be about to sign another forward/winger. Anything to do with Bowen leaving, one wonders?

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 pm
by Phil LUFC
Ponte wrote:Apparently Brentford are after £11m rated Ivan Toney.

He was on loan at Scunny a couple of years ago, if he's now £11m rated he just have improved a hell of a lot. Was fucking awful when they lost to Millwall in the playoffs, Steve Morison ran the show (last time I watched them).

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm
by jackos
Phil LUFC wrote:He was on loan at Scunny a couple of years ago, if he's now £11m rated he just have improved a hell of a lot. Was fucking awful when they lost to Millwall in the playoffs, Steve Morison ran the show (last time I watched them).


This is why football is so ridiculous these days, Ivan Toney is 23 and has had one decent season in is life, and that was in L1. I can't believe for a second that a club like Brentford have offered 11 million for in January, not unless they have already accepted a 30M bid for Watkins

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:13 pm
by Yeboah
Funny thing with Brentford, they turnover very little.

Yet they sold a supposed key member of their squad for a shed load of money and then reinvested it in multiple other players to make the team better.

As a consequence they are doing better.....funny that.

Of course, a main rival giving them the best centre half in the league helps.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:13 pm
by Yeboah
jackos wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:He was on loan at Scunny a couple of years ago, if he's now £11m rated he just have improved a hell of a lot. Was fucking awful when they lost to Millwall in the playoffs, Steve Morison ran the show (last time I watched them).


This is why football is so ridiculous these days, Ivan Toney is 23 and has had one decent season in is life, and that was in L1. I can't believe for a second that a club like Brentford have offered 11 million for in January, not unless they have already accepted a 30M bid for Watkins


Jack Clarke
Ben White
Jack Harrison

?

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:33 pm
by Phil LUFC
Yeboah wrote:Funny thing with Brentford, they turnover very little.

Yet they sold a supposed key member of their squad for a shed load of money and then reinvested it in multiple other players to make the team better.

As a consequence they are doing better.....funny that.

Of course, a main rival giving them the best centre half in the league helps.

Brentford have been doing improbably well in the transfer market for years. I think their underlying model is a take on moneyball and not too disimilar to what Barnsley do (badly). They're not alone by any means but they're clearly quite good at it. See also Southampton. I suppose one thing those clubs have in common is a relatively low pressure place to play - all are on the upper edges of what their fans would realistically demand.

It's easy to say Jansson was a bargain at £4.5m or whatever it was in the end but their approach led them to being the team to benefit from it - if other bidders had been in for him, they'd have been after someone else their database said was worth more than the price they were available for. They've been doing it for years. See also Dallas to Leeds for £1.3m in 2015, replaced by Sergi Canos on loan from Liverpool. When Liverpool sold Canos (to Norwich) they weren't in the running because the fee was too big but after 6 months at Norwich they were able to pick him up for a bit less.

They also do something different with their reserves, there's an Athletic article today I've not read about their B team. I think the gist of it is they don't operate in the U23 league but instead have regular friendlies with teams across Europe (the article seemed to be about a recent game against Bordeaux).

Bottom line being that it's fine to sell players when they're at maximum value IF there's a clear succession plan - when have we ever had that? We seemingly weren't prepared to lose 2 loan players the whole footballing world predicted would be recalled 2 months before it happened. I have no idea what possessed them to accept as little as £3m for Sawyers though, can only assume they felt they had a backup almost as good with little value who needed game time.

Speaking of Sawyers for £3m, many of us wanted to see him at Leeds for that money, Ajayi too for £1.5m - both seemed safe bets and have proven to be so, fuck knows how WBA were able to get them so cheap, practically every club in the championship should have been interested.

The U23s programme Radz/Bielsa put in place was supposed to yield results but just seems to result in us selling players for low fees to Barnsley, wonder how much profit they'll make on Wilks if the loan is made permanent?

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:36 pm
by dirty leeds
Newcastle said to be about to make a bid for Bowen.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:12 pm
by Bobbycollins
Phil LUFC wrote:The U23s programme Radz/Bielsa put in place was supposed to yield results but just seems to result in us selling players for low fees to Barnsley, wonder how much profit they'll make on Wilks if the loan is made permanent?


I'm not sure that the one goal in 15 appearances by Wilks for Barnsley will generate a huge profit.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:27 pm
by dirty leeds
It's only Football Insider, but anyway...


https://www.footballinsider247.com/leed ... n-striker/

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:56 pm
by Bobbycollins
dirty leeds wrote:It's only Football Insider, but anyway...

https://www.footballinsider247.com/leed ... n-striker/


I think both his previous loan deals ended with relegation from the Prem, so perhaps this is one for next season?

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:20 pm
by Phil LUFC
Bobbycollins wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:The U23s programme Radz/Bielsa put in place was supposed to yield results but just seems to result in us selling players for low fees to Barnsley, wonder how much profit they'll make on Wilks if the loan is made permanent?


I'm not sure that the one goal in 15 appearances by Wilks for Barnsley will generate a huge profit.

Maybe so, definitely accusations of him being lazy from BFC fans. Hull wanted him in the summer but he chose Barnsley, given its an option to buy rather than an obligation the fee could be anything really - a case of recouping as much as possible by Barnsley or an assumption he'll do something and Hull and prove to be worth them activating a bigger option? If he's going to do anything at this level its probably going to be with the manager who got so much out of him at Donny last season.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:04 pm
by Bobbycollins
Phil LUFC wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:The U23s programme Radz/Bielsa put in place was supposed to yield results but just seems to result in us selling players for low fees to Barnsley, wonder how much profit they'll make on Wilks if the loan is made permanent?


I'm not sure that the one goal in 15 appearances by Wilks for Barnsley will generate a huge profit.

If he's going to do anything at this level its probably going to be with the manager who got so much out of him at Donny last season.


Good point - I'd forgotten that McCann had been his manager at Doncaster.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am
by Professor Weeto
I don't really understand all this finance stuff but it looks like Radz has put some extra cash, in the form of a loan, into the club over the last few days. Hopefully means an incoming striker...


Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:25 am
by Bobbycollins
I don't suppose Orta could persuade Christhian Stuani to pop over from Girona for the remainder of the season. He's 33 but he can score goals and Girona don't appear close to promotion.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:36 pm
by jackos
Professor Weeto wrote:I don't really understand all this finance stuff but it looks like Radz has put some extra cash, in the form of a loan, into the club over the last few days. Hopefully means an incoming striker...


Might this post find a better home on the "Is Radrizanni's "brand" of football good enough for Leeds United?" thread

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:39 pm
by Blackwhite
Ponte 2: This Time It's Personal