Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Yeboah

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Yeboah » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:28 am

jackos wrote:
the flying pig wrote:I think this is too generous, by the time of the deal he'll be, as accountants say, ';fully depreciated' and then some.

Unless it's about keeping the squad happy and focused on reaching the goal? The Klich deal was probably a year too long, Dallas as well, maybe even Coopers, none of that will matter if we get promoted.

If we do not get promoted, we bring in a new manager and he wants to refresh the squad it will be more of a concern. But if that happens it's likely both Radz and Orta will be gone as well, we might be owned by Qatar, so we'll have a heck of a lot more to think about. Thinking about the Qatar link, perhaps that's the reason for the new contracts and their length? Maybe Qatar want to make sure all the first time squad are tied to long contract before they come in?

Yeah I'm sure QSI were awaiting us to sign up a bunch of players who can't do it

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 am

As football fans I think we all have the propensity at times to not see an immediate footballing rationale for things and thus just assume something has been done for no reason. Radrizzani, Orta, Haigh and Co obviously aren't perfect but they've actually been quite clever over the past couple of seasons in terms of our admittedly limited finances. They've boosted our revenue, done reasonably well from player sales without sacrificing too much and most importantly of all they've kept us within the FFP restrictions that other clubs are now falling afoul of (Brum last season, Sheff Wed this season and supposedly Derby soon). I seem to recall Moscow posited a rationale for the new contracts ages ago that related to FFP and presumably that still stands. From memory it was something like you agree an amount of money to pay a player over the length of their contract and it counts in a different column or something vaguely akin to that. Someone can correct me.

With regards to Pablo, there are lots of additional reasons you'd want to keep him though. He's definitely not finished as a footballer yet and there are few players operating in the second tier of any country with anywhere near as much potential coming off the bench. He's not lost that much pace and his passing is still superb. Additionally, throughout his entire career managers and players have cited him as a model professional of the sorts you always want in and around the club - especially when you have young players. You'd like to think that his considerable experience is a boon on the training ground and having another player fluent in Spanish and English is logistically useful too. On top of that, if Bielsa and his staff do leave at the end of the season, if we retain enough players there will hopefully be at least the framework of his methodology intact, which could yet have an impact on our club for years to come.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:56 am

Tommy wrote:As football fans I think we all have the propensity at times to not see an immediate footballing rationale for things and thus just assume something has been done for no reason. Radrizzani, Orta, Haigh and Co obviously aren't perfect but they've actually been quite clever over the past couple of seasons in terms of our admittedly limited finances. They've boosted our revenue, done reasonably well from player sales without sacrificing too much and most importantly of all they've kept us within the FFP restrictions that other clubs are now falling afoul of (Brum last season, Sheff Wed this season and supposedly Derby soon). I seem to recall Moscow posited a rationale for the new contracts ages ago that related to FFP and presumably that still stands. From memory it was something like you agree an amount of money to pay a player over the length of their contract and it counts in a different column or something vaguely akin to that. Someone can correct me.

With regards to Pablo, there are lots of additional reasons you'd want to keep him though. He's definitely not finished as a footballer yet and there are few players operating in the second tier of any country with anywhere near as much potential coming off the bench. He's not lost that much pace and his passing is still superb. Additionally, throughout his entire career managers and players have cited him as a model professional of the sorts you always want in and around the club - especially when you have young players. You'd like to think that his considerable experience is a boon on the training ground and having another player fluent in Spanish and English is logistically useful too. On top of that, if Bielsa and his staff do leave at the end of the season, if we retain enough players there will hopefully be at least the framework of his methodology intact, which could yet have an impact on our club for years to come.

There you go again with a rational, non-ranting post. Totally agree about Pablo.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:00 pm

the flying pig wrote:£40m this summer is fairly transparently not going to happen. brighton's transfer record [ingoing or outgoing] is not going to be doubled by their fourth [right?] choice centre back, a smallish 22 yr old who's never clocked up a single minute in the PL or for england youth teams.

this said, **if** he keeps his current form then, y'know, he could go really far, really far.

Interesting article by Phil Hay in The Athletic about White mentions that Liverpool and Scum are both monitoring him.

Given that Adam Webster went to Brighton for £22m at the age of 24, I do wonder if my speculative punt at a transfer might end up being not as absurd as it sounded at first. White is younger and I suspect already a little bit better (even if there's no way to prove this at this moment in time). If Scum and Liverpool do want to sign him, surely they'd have to pay something like £30m given his age and nationality? I suppose it would depend on whether Brighton have survived at the end of this season but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being closer to £40m than £3.60 and a Chomp bar or whatever that German site said he's worth.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:35 pm

Tommy wrote:
the flying pig wrote:£40m this summer is fairly transparently not going to happen. brighton's transfer record [ingoing or outgoing] is not going to be doubled by their fourth [right?] choice centre back, a smallish 22 yr old who's never clocked up a single minute in the PL or for england youth teams.

this said, **if** he keeps his current form then, y'know, he could go really far, really far.

Interesting article by Phil Hay in The Athletic about White mentions that Liverpool and Scum are both monitoring him.

Given that Adam Webster went to Brighton for £22m at the age of 24, I do wonder if my speculative punt at a transfer might end up being not as absurd as it sounded at first. White is younger and I suspect already a little bit better (even if there's no way to prove this at this moment in time). If Scum and Liverpool do want to sign him, surely they'd have to pay something like £30m given his age and nationality? I suppose it would depend on whether Brighton have survived at the end of this season but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being closer to £40m than £3.60 and a Chomp bar or whatever that German site said he's worth.

peh. if liverpool were going to sign him they'd presumably be thikning in terms of a cheap lower division punt [i appreciate his parent club are PL but his experience is not] a la andy robertson etc, not a marquee deal in the same price bracket as the guys in their front three.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-live ... /verein/31

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:42 pm

They haven't spent as much on players as I thought, at least not in terms of individual fees. However, they might think of White as being potentially a second/third choice centre-half for a decade and go for it on that basis. I gather there are still rules about the number of English players you have to have. I guess the same applies for Scum too, though recently signing Maguire might make it less likely. I reckon we could see something like £30m, which is still closer to £40m than the 'dog eared copy of The Beano plus an everlasting gobstopper' suggested by that other website.

Or y'know, he sees out his entire career at Brighton and becomes their most decorated Captain etc. I could see something like that too.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:45 pm

if white continues to tear it up & finishes as one of the division's players of the season then similar money to webster might be plausible but only if he consistently does as well as that [which may well not happen] and double that money, nah.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Wow, Liverpool got £130m for Coutinho?! Even by Scouse standards that has to be the crime of the decade. Never ever worth even half that fee.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Tommy wrote:Wow, Liverpool got £130m for Coutinho?! Even by Scouse standards that has to be the crime of the decade. Never ever worth even half that fee.

yeah, a tidy sum. i mean, he is good, but you can see why they were prepared to let him go.

a lot more modest but the money they got from bournemouth for those two unproven lads wasn't bad either.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Tommy wrote:

I can't see how he can be worth significantly more than Webster right now, they'd be asking for £25m ish no matter who comes calling unless there's a bidding war simply due to being unproven at PL level (and the fact Bristol got £22m for Webster while we only got £4m for PJ is staggering). Although, £25m with add ons might be plausible. I think its much more likely Brighton will either play him regularly next season or loan him to another PL club* (this option is risky if they think they might be relegation candidates) - in which case he's worth either £10-£15m as a proven Championship CB not yet ready for the PL or £60m+ as a standout PL young player.

*Possibly us.

Tommy

Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Just saw this from some Twitter journo. Spies everywhere etc.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Kinhell i hope this comes off, he's a 100% Berter if the master can control him.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... s-17257470
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:44 am

Tommy wrote:Wow, Liverpool got £130m for Coutinho?! Even by Scouse standards that has to be the crime of the decade. Never ever worth even half that fee.

I think he was their best player back then , BUT , that's a huge fee regardless .

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:26 pm

thechubbyone wrote:Just had a browse through the list of potential freebies here
http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa-transfer-list?name=FullName&page=2
A few interesting players in there.

Barry Hayles – still plugging away at 38 years old. Fair play to him.

Just because his name came up on this thread when I searched it, but Barry Hayles - Merstham coach in the Isthmian Prem - subbed himself on at the age of 47 today. Player.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Mate of mine used to live in Merstham. Interesting place :shock:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:57 am

Can’t see it personally, after what happened previously

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:32 pm

Can't see us spending the money, on anybody.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Yeboah wrote:https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-line-up-75m-transfer-20942746

Yes , saw this today , not sure if its lazy paper talk or genuine . Also links to Dwight Gayle ( again ) and some others who I forget . After last shenanigans with Vydra don't think I'm too keen , but he could do a job and provide something different or better than Bamford , though Bamford has started hitting the net again ...... then there's Nketiah to come back as well .

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:56 pm

We need more than 2 strikers.....

Return to “The Square Ball”