Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby the flying pig » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:04 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Must admit, if it were me shouting out instructions to the defenders at a corner, I might say, 'Watch the big fellah at the back' or 'Who's got this guy?' [while pointing]. I don't think I'd ever say, 'Coops, take the black guy'. Even if Leko was their only black player - which of course he isn't - it still wouldn't occur to me.

your point about multiple black players does, on the face of it, undermine any 'shouting instructions' defence quite badly... i mean their really big guy is, whatsit, the centre back, who's also, well, black.

shirt numbers would be a far better identifier, i assume that kiko's english is good enough to cope with this?

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:42 pm

the flying pig wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Must admit, if it were me shouting out instructions to the defenders at a corner, I might say, 'Watch the big fellah at the back' or 'Who's got this guy?' [while pointing]. I don't think I'd ever say, 'Coops, take the black guy'. Even if Leko was their only black player - which of course he isn't - it still wouldn't occur to me.

your point about multiple black players does, on the face of it, undermine any 'shouting instructions' defence quite badly... i mean their really big guy is, whatsit, the centre back, who's also, well, black.

shirt numbers would be a far better identifier, i assume that kiko's english is good enough to cope with this?

But in view of the large range of shirt numbers and the scrum that passes for a corner now, how feasible is it to expect a player to remember the shirt number of an opposing player facing him. As Phil said earlier, a goalkeeper would be rightly criticised for conceding whilst wandering around the penalty area looking at shirt numbers.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:
the flying pig wrote:

But in view of the large range of shirt numbers and the scrum that passes for a corner now, how feasible is it to expect a player to remember the shirt number of an opposing player facing him. As Phil said earlier, a goalkeeper would be rightly criticised for conceding whilst wandering around the penalty area looking at shirt numbers.

pff - this isn't sunday league, at championship level, if someone shouts something about 'number six', i'd expect players, especially players who routinely get assigned marking duties at set pieces, to, if perhaps not quite have committed a lengthy dossier of information on said player to memory, to immediately know who's being talked about without having to ask everyone to line up so that all shirt numbers are visible.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:07 pm

the flying pig wrote:

Has anyone seen a still of the moment when all of this is alleged to have happened?
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:35 pm

the flying pig wrote:

Yeah, can't say I remember much about Charlton's team except that their most effective striker was absent on the day we played 'em... and we still lost. [He is black, by the way.]
None of us knows what he said or is alleged to have said, so it's all speculative bollocks at the mo'.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:37 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Has anyone seen a still of the moment when all of this is alleged to have happened?

I don't have any idea when it was supposed to have happened. Nobody in the stadium knew out about it, as far as I could see. Wasn't a topic of conversation amongst the Squareball party. Anyone listening to the commentary - was it mentioned on there during the match?

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:57 pm

The only thing I heard of it was in the after match interview a player was asked if Leeds were a fair team. And the quotes answer was something along the lines of ‘yes apart from one moment which I won’t comment on till it comes out’

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Summat I just saw on Waccoe - apparently The Sun reckon that the ref heard what was said and reported it to the FA "immediately."

Two things:
1 - What they really mean is at the end of the match, not immediately.
and
2 - Why did he not send Kiko off immediately if he heard him say a racist thing?

I know that there is no point in being irritated by The Sun, however their 2nd Nov report that included the claim about the ref hearing the comments also includes the statement "Casilla, 33, has since been found guilty and the FA are looking at banning him for between eight and 12 games". The report also claims that "lip readers were used to determine exactly what Cassilla said to Leko", which sound more akin to a read-across from the Forestieri case, than fact.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Lip-readers would suggest that there is video footage. If they've got video, the ref and Charlton players saying the same, he's toast.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Tommy wrote:If the ref's heard it too, he's fucked.

But as is pointed out above, if he heard it, why didn’t he take immediate action?
I like it. What is it?

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:56 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Has anyone seen a still of the moment when all of this is alleged to have happened?

I don't have any idea when it was supposed to have happened. Nobody in the stadium knew out about it, as far as I could see. Wasn't a topic of conversation amongst the Squareball party. Anyone listening to the commentary - was it mentioned on there during the match?

There was one moment where I recalled Kiko and Leko clashed. Leko slid in, and Kiko thought he'd left a bit. However, this wasn't corner related or even marking related so chuff knows if it's the incident or not.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

London_White

Postby London_White » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:05 pm

I believe the ref 'included it in his report'.
This does not imply he heard it, maybe Leko or another player complained to him so he is duty bound to include it for further investigation. If he had heard it then he would surely have taken action at the time.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:52 pm

London_White wrote:I believe the ref 'included it in his report'.
This does not imply he heard it, maybe Leko or another player complained to him so he is duty bound to include it for further investigation. If he had heard it then he would surely have taken action at the time.

I suspect the ref. would need to be 200% sure on what he'd heard to send the player off.

Unlikely he'd have that confidence during the game imo.

London_White

Postby London_White » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Yes, agree with that. He may well have heard 'something' but would need corroboration if he had even the slightest doubt.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:27 am

I don't remember anything at all of it from the game on tv, but i do have a terrible memory, where was i ? - Oh yes, if he's used the disgusting 'n' word as heard in films etc he'd be rightly fcked, but if he's used his mother tongue i think they're gonna find it hard to severely punish (but Leeds) and in a court of law would not be guilty and would have good grounds of appeal if found guilty. I can totally understand the Brom player thinking he heard the 'n' word.
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the/s ... black.html

The ref being informed would make a note of it and his immediate reaction is open to interpretation , spoke to the linesman immediately, immediately put it in his notebook, informed the fa immediately after getting home from work, immediately spoke to the keeper and players involved, etc etc

I played sweeper in my day and was responsible for players marking players - I was thinking back to what i used to say to my players and instantly started saying in my head..." Johnny man to your right, Thommo man behind you, STE! get that man to your left ".... obviously not knowing oppo's names, but i remember distinctly a couple of instances having to stop myself from saying..." Thommo pick that fat cunt up " or " Stevie get that lanky bastard "
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

London_White

Postby London_White » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:57 am

Reminds me of a time when we played Palace at home - season after we'd won the title I think - they had a corner and Coleman was standing in loads of space when someone shouted 'watch that greasy cunt Coleman at the back post' to which he laughed and put his finger up to his mouth and said shhh - still no fucker went to mark him!

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:18 am

kennyb41 wrote:" Thommo pick that fat cunt up " or " Stevie get that lanky bastard "

You made a long winded post about Liverpool a short while ago and now you're doing it again with those names of players you played with.

Also your name on here is 'Kenny'. Are you Kenny Dalglish?

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:26 am

Hey the Thommo is actually called Phil Thompson and was a cracking winger left or right that went on to play for Tenerife and Malaga, the Stevie was a Steven Derbyshire who's a Brickie.

I knew Thommo's response would've been " have you seen the size of him, could you fcking pick him up ? "...so refrained, wish i hadn't now.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:43 am

kennyb41 wrote:Hey the Thommo is actually called Phil Thompson and was a cracking winger left or right that went on to play for Tenerife and Malaga, the Stevie was a Steven Derbyshire who's a Brickie.

I knew Thommo's response would've been " have you seen the size of him, could you fcking pick him up ? "...so refrained, wish i hadn't now.

It's good to know there are posters on here like myself, you & Yebs that have played the game.

I once spent two weeks at Leeds on a trial as a 16 year old, I've never mentioned it though.

Must dash, Sardines on toast are getting cold.

:basket:

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Yes, but we're very much in a minority.

Return to “The Square Ball”