Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:07 pm

marcelo thinks this year's team is better than last year's, individual players are playing at a higher standard. :thumbl:

eddie doesn't 'feel the need of the team' like bamford. if he ran for the team more he would get more chances. but at the same time, eddie apparently covers more metres. :scratch:

marcelo's far more animated than i've seen him in a press conference, (but i haven't watched one for a while). there's some bloke from arsenal asking about eddie, which gets the response 'who runs the most bamford or eddie?' he ends on a joke when phil hay asks if bamford will start on saturday, he points to the arse man and says' you'll have to ask him'

there was a weird bit when he talked a lot about the leeds press and their 'over' analysis of leeds matches and his frustration that they assume that the current situation of the team is fixed, that they have to be top now or it's doom, and how if a player misses a couple of chances he's no use and is going to do this all season. he then went on to congratulate the press assembled that they were interested in the football and don't ask about which supermarket he shops in, or other star trivialities about the players.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Quiffy wrote:... there's some bloke from arsenal asking about eddie, which gets the response 'who runs the most bamford or eddie?' he ends on a joke when phil hay asks if bamford will start on saturday, he points to the arse man and says' you'll have to ask him'

Yeah, that was interesting. So Eddie does more actual running, but not in a way that helps the team in general - though, of course, his actual goals could be said to help the team [in general].
So two options:
- play Bamford and hope he stops missing sitters every match
- play Eddie and get him to make better use of his general play, and carry on taking his chances.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:40 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Quiffy wrote:... there's some bloke from arsenal asking about eddie, which gets the response 'who runs the most bamford or eddie?' he ends on a joke when phil hay asks if bamford will start on saturday, he points to the arse man and says' you'll have to ask him'

Yeah, that was interesting. So Eddie does more actual running, but not in a way that helps the team in general - though, of course, his actual goals could be said to help the team [in general].
So two options:
- play Bamford and hope he stops missing sitters every match
- play Eddie and get him to make better use of his general play, and carry on taking his chances.

Dunno if you watched the whole thing (I did, I'm sad like that) but he said at one point that Eddie will find it a little easier to service the needs of the team every time he plays. Far from the caricature that's been painted, the impression I get is that he really wants to play Nketiah - he's not an idiot, he can see the talent - but will not do so until he feels the team's general play will remain at the same level.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:Dunno if you watched the whole thing (I did, I'm sad like that) but he said at one point that Eddie will find it a little easier to service the needs of the team every time he plays. Far from the caricature that's been painted, the impression I get is that he really wants to play Nketiah - he's not an idiot, he can see the talent - but will not do so until he feels the team's general play will remain at the same level.

Was watching but got interrupted by a business call.
Yeah, his explanations were long on the subject - I caught the bit about how Eddie is most effective when he's in and around the box, but in the Brum game we weren't in the box much second half so he didn't do so well, whereas with Preston we were pressing them back into their box and so Eddie flourished.
The crucial part being, with Bamford we were better able to press them back, but not able to score.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Just looking at Hay's twitter threads and it's amazing how many people think Bielsa said that Bamford runs more than Eddie. He didn't. He said the opposite.
Eddie runs more actual metres than Bamford.
But
Bamford's fewer metres are more designed to help the team's general play - so he runs more for the team.

So if Eddie could run fewer, more team-effective metres and still retain his goal-scoring knack, that would be perfect. So far he hasn't learned that trick, so bringing him on as sub works better.
And, of course, if Bamford could only add sticking the fucking ball into the net at the end of his helpful build-up contributions, that would be helpful too.

It does, at least, suggest that they are working on getting Eddie to understand and correct his deficiencies outside the box. What they can do to Bamford to make him more accurate I don't know.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:58 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Just looking at Hay's twitter threads and it's amazing how many people think Bielsa said that Bamford runs more than Eddie. He didn't. He said the opposite.

People on Twitter in Being Fucking Idiots shock.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:Dunno if you watched the whole thing (I did, I'm sad like that) but he said at one point that Eddie will find it a little easier to service the needs of the team every time he plays. Far from the caricature that's been painted, the impression I get is that he really wants to play Nketiah - he's not an idiot, he can see the talent - but will not do so until he feels the team's general play will remain at the same level.

i watched most of it, it's sometimes hard to draw conclusions (as marcelo himself admitted) because he presents both sides of the argument, for and against. he did talk about how he's come from the arsenal academy where, reading between the lines, you don't need to rely on teamwork to create chances, as they have stars who create there own chances.

maybe i missed a bit, because the YEP reported that he said bamford will start on saturday. they're like a listening comprehension exam are these press conferences.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Quiffy wrote:

i watched most of it, it's sometimes hard to draw conclusions (as marcelo himself admitted) because he presents both sides of the argument, for and against. he did talk about how he's come from the arsenal academy where, reading between the lines, you don't need to rely on teamwork to create chances, as they have stars who create there own chances.

maybe i missed a bit, because the YEP reported that he said bamford will start on saturday. they're like a listening comprehension exam are these press conferences.

I think the comment that Bamford would start came after the feed ended, as Bielsa was walking out of the room.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:01 pm

I will say that, though far, far from perfect, Diego Flores is a better translator than Carlos Corberan. Or at least I find his accent easier to penetrate.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Guys, this thread is for speculation about potential signings. Please use a more suitable thread.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 pm

interesting self deprecating comments about zidane, by way of comparison with his methods..
If you give me the option of choosing between my analysis and free football and I prefer free football and do you think Zidane thinks a lot of things, he thinks less things and he is a better manager than me. If you ask how do you want as manager Bielsa or Zidane people will say Zidane and I am just giving an example.

i think this was part of a larger point about over analysis of leeds. maybe he's on twitter following 'all stats aren't we' and the others. maybe he does read the messageboards at night over his mate tea. hope he doesn't linger too long on waccoe.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Ponte wrote:Guys, this thread is for speculation about potential signings. Please use a more suitable thread.

:mrgreen: Like Nob Enders Away, for example.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Surely we are the stage of 'try something different' the worst that happens is we can swap it back?

Be interested to see if they think they need to change strikers in January

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Yeboah wrote:Surely we are the stage of 'try something different' the worst that happens is we can swap it back?

Be interested to see if they think they need to change strikers in January

Doubt there is money available, pretty sure Angus said in a interview we where very close to the PnS threshold.

Unless we offload Paddy for half what we payed and get another loan.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:36 am

Scum supposedly chasing Kalvin according to the Mail and their scab mates down the sun...

Scum coaches Mike Phelan and Kieran McKenna have both been on scouting missions to watch him in action in recent weeks, according to The Sun.

Phelan ran the rule over Phillips when Leeds faced Birmingham last week, before McKenna watched on during the clash against Preston North End.

throbbinrobin

Postby throbbinrobin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 am

jackos wrote:Scum supposedly chasing Kalvin according to the Mail and their scab mates down the sun...

Scum coaches Mike Phelan and Kieran McKenna have both been on scouting missions to watch him in action in recent weeks, according to The Sun.

Phelan ran the rule over Phillips when Leeds faced Birmingham last week, before McKenna watched on during the clash against Preston North End.

And they can fuck right off
Marchando adelante juntos, vamos a ganar !
Nos somos Leeds !

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 am

What's the worry? Yeboah already told us he's shit, so how/why would any other 'pro' football person regard him him as worth a large sum of money? Only fucking know-nowts on fans forums think he's any good. (That's just one for the 'hard of thinking'.)

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:22 am

dirty leeds wrote:What's the worry? Yeboah already told us he's shit, so how/why would any other 'pro' football person regard him him as worth a large sum of money? Only fucking know-nowts on fans forums think he's any good. (That's just one for the 'hard of thinking'.)

Know-nowt-ists of the World, unite. Rise up against this Imperialist dogma. We reserve the right to know nowt.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:08 am

Why is the Mail sure the scouts were watching Phillips? Man U have only scored 10 in 9 Premier league games this season - perhaps they were looking at a shock move for a golden haired striker?

Return to “The Square Ball”