Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Yeboah

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Yeboah » Mon May 27, 2019 10:19 am

Mr Reality wrote:He's just doesn't seem to have the engine to be up and down.

Just think back the shef United game where the lad who scored gave him a head start went past him and ran away from him to score.

It's also a case of when funds are tight what can you free up.

Is Alioski Pearce and Davis sufficient?

Personally I would say yes so that makes selling Douglas easier.

Squad needs to be..

8 defenders
8 MF
4 strikers
2 gk

Plus youth

In that context, 3 LBs is overkill, unless you can play a mf in defence or vice versa.

Hence the value someone like Dallas brings.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 am

Radz saying there will be no major investment in players.
The plan is to maintain the status quo and bring in quality players on loan.

M
Hmm...
:cyclops: :fish:
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon May 27, 2019 10:56 am

Yeboah wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:He's just doesn't seem to have the engine to be up and down.

Just think back the shef United game where the lad who scored gave him a head start went past him and ran away from him to score.

It's also a case of when funds are tight what can you free up.

Is Alioski Pearce and Davis sufficient?

Personally I would say yes so that makes selling Douglas easier.

Squad needs to be..

8 defenders
8 MF
4 strikers
2 gk

Plus youth

In that context, 3 LBs is overkill, unless you can play a mf in defence or vice versa.

Hence the value someone like Dallas brings.

Yes Dallas has utility value. Wouldn't want him as a regular starter but useful from the bench.

You are preaching to converted about squad size I have championed quality over quantity for years and the importance of using the academy to plug gaps.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 am

Mustafaster wrote:Radz saying there will be no major investment in players.
The plan is to maintain the status quo and bring in quality players on loan.

M
Hmm...
:cyclops: :fish:

Nothing we didn't already know.

Unless there is a big sale to generate funds there isn't the money which is something we have seen under this regime.

Plus there is the issue of the returning loan players and no natural regeneration through players out of contract.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Tue May 28, 2019 6:09 pm

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Harrison likes to try get to the byline, that's about it really.

Suppose in this situation we have to trust the man on the bucket.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue May 28, 2019 7:07 pm

i think harrison was ok for us last yr, not a dazzling success but, as loan signings go, a solid 7 out of 10. two or, especially, three more in that bracket woudl have been enough to clinch promotion imo.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Tue May 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Yeah, not the biggest Harrison fan but he's still young enough to improve and will be all the better for a year in the system and another pre-season. As we've seen, loans have a massively uncertain element to them so having one we at least know we'll get a certain level of performance out of is worthwhile.

We've got an under-21 tournament coming up this summer so I suspect it'll be worth taking a keen interest in the sort of prospects we might be in the market for from the England team
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
We've got an under-21 tournament coming up this summer so I suspect it'll be worth taking a keen interest in the sort of prospects we might be in the market for from the England team

There might even be a couple of other teams there :thumbl:

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Tue May 28, 2019 7:29 pm

welshwhite wrote:Harrison likes to try get to the byline, that's about it really.

I’m sure the Wigan back 4 are delighted!

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Yeboah wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Harrison likes to try get to the byline, that's about it really.

I’m sure the Wigan back 4 are delighted!

He's the only one to come out of that game with any credit.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 am

On a related point, and notwithstanding those players we’d like to sign, who do the panel think Bielsa would want? We know he liked James, but lost him because Swansea. We gather he likes Harrison, as above, but not Saiz, as further above. Seems to want keepers that are confident in their area, but has perhaps not yet found one with ability to match.

Who’s in his spy glasses, do we think?
I like it. What is it?

thestraw

Postby thestraw » Wed May 29, 2019 8:38 am

O'Dowda was the Dan James backup wasnt he? I suspect we could be in for him again.

Key piece of transfer business this summer will be keeping KP.
#MOT #GAWA

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 29, 2019 9:11 am

Devi wrote:On a related point, and notwithstanding those players we’d like to sign, who do the panel think Bielsa would want? We know he liked James, but lost him because Swansea. We gather he likes Harrison, as above, but not Saiz, as further above. Seems to want keepers that are confident in their area, but has perhaps not yet found one with ability to match.

Who’s in his spy glasses, do we think?

i'd guess his thinking is probably something along the lines of:

top priority

(a) replacements for any outgoing first xi members;
(b) both left and right sided [ideally slightly superior] harrison look-a-likes, one of whom might actually be harrison; and
(c) an at least partial replacement for pablo, who surely won't play so many games this year.

lower priority
(d) an additional centre back, probably a utility guy who could do a job at one of full back & defensive mid;
(e) a better centre forward.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed May 29, 2019 9:16 am

Agreed, but who? Who’s ‘out there’?
I like it. What is it?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 am

I think we could have one or two Spurs players coming here on loan, a sort of goodwill gesture for us selling them Clarke.

Llorente?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 am

it's a bit of a shame that [afaik] chelsea are the club who really go in for stockpiling hundreds of players & loaning them out [we've had players from them but probably not the cream of the crop], when it's [by all accounts] the spurs & citeh managers who bielsa has the 'special relationship' with. i think spurs barely go in for that at all, citeh certainly a bit more, including through their strange global network of affiliate/feeder clubs, e.g. in their promotion season 'udds got mooy, who was oustanding at that level.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed May 29, 2019 9:54 am

Pablo’s legs have gone, not surprising given his age and the intensity of the last season. Without him in the side we’ll struggle, so I wouldn’t be surprised if his replacement/side kick is not the number one priority for Bielsa. For all his faults we missed Saiz and we definitely would miss Pablo even more.

We need to shift Kiko, he’s a liability. He’s good in his six yard box but he scares the hell out of me when he’s anywhere else on the pitch.

Bamford’s got the ability but is not suited to Bielsaball, so unless the system is adapted he’ll struggle again to convince even though he might end up with a dozen goals or more. If Roofe keeps fit and they do a deal with him then keep them both as Roofe is the answer up front, or at least his style is. Otherwise get shut of both and get in a £10m type (Gayle, Vydra etc) and make Roberts the number two striker.

Douglas’s body didn't cope with the Bielsa training regime, he looked weak even in the first couple of months. Maybe his body will have adapted and he’ll show us next season the player he was at Wolves. He’ll probably be assessed in the first couple of weeks of pre season and if he doesn’t come up to snuff he will be probably be offloaded.

We’ll sell somebody, could be Clark, PJ, Roofe or maybe even Phillips but think that last one unlikely.

We will have to do really well in the PL loan market, Barnes, Wilson, Mings types but that’s unlikely as the wages will be prohibitive and it’s like renting a house, it’s dead money unless you successfully get promoted.

So all in all Devi it’s a tricky one, that’s why we do what we do and Bielsa does what he does. Whatever happens I suspect another very exciting season is in store. Only two months to wait....
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 29, 2019 9:59 am

Devi wrote:Agreed, but who? Who’s ‘out there’?

realistically at our level it'll mostly be guys whose names you know but whose games you don't really know all that well.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 29, 2019 10:25 am

It's up top we need to drastically improve if we're trying for a top two finish.

If we can once again average 60 to 65% possession then we need to convert a fuck lot more chances than we have done.

Keeper, out and out wide man, 2 strikers.
Two first class strikers and we can do it, no problem.

On the whole our defence and midfield are ok, prone to making a few mistakes but so do all other teams (latest being young Frank's side).

Return to “The Square Ball”