Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Quiffy » Wed May 22, 2019 7:32 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:Roofe has got better every season what's today he won't continue?

don't disagree, but do you want to go into next season with the same striker options?

and the original question was should he get a pay rise?
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 am

dirty leeds wrote:More rumour: Gayle to us in a swap for Kalvin Phillips or Jack Clarke.

I mean, I know Gayle is outstanding at this level but he is such a detestable little cunt. I really don't want to be encouraging him or cheering his goals.

I’d probably take the gamble if it’s for Clarke. He’s absurdly promising, but promise is all it is at the moment and it’s clear he has stuttered somewhat since the incident at Boro. I’d still rather not lose him obviously, but pragmatism comes in to play and, quite frankly, we’d have gone up with Gayle this season and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s on the downward curve and won’t be equally as effective next season.
Keep Fighting

Rambo the randy pig

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 am

Yes he should. He's a good player at this level & we should keep him.
At the start of the season he proved he could score & with his movement could create space for others to score.
A lot of that was down to the system the sort of 4 2 3 1 with the 3 behind moving fluidly it became a front 4 in attack throwing defences into disarray.
This played to Roofe's strengths but since it's about goals (if you want to go up) then playing to the striker's strengths is key.
Not to say we shouldn't sign a quality striker. We should wothout a doubt do so but as competition for Roofe not a replacemant.
If he thinks we are genuinely top 2 contenders (which I don't think he did this season) then I think Radz will find money for the right squad enhancements without player sales.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed May 22, 2019 9:35 am

If we can’t actually sell Saiz (given yep story yesterday) and MB doesn’t want him back. Then we might let him go for nowt or have him on loan again elsewhere. If we’d planned to get money in for him it may make next season even tighter.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Wed May 22, 2019 10:25 am

Yeboah wrote:If we can’t actually sell Saiz (given yep story yesterday) and MB doesn’t want him back. Then we might let him go for nowt or have him on loan again elsewhere. If we’d planned to get money in for him it may make next season even tighter.

The bugger seems to vary between £6m and worthless / nothing .

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Wed May 22, 2019 10:32 am

Yeboah wrote:Roofe needs/wants same money as Bamford......?

Discuss....

Given he was by far the better player last season on the face of it seems reasonable , however , I think striker wise the club could do far better than both of then and given the goals to attempts ratio of the season just gone , they both leave a fair bit to desire . Roofe also out of contract next season , clubs sniffing around etc ( rather Bamford went but that would be at a loss I guess ) . He is the best striker at the club but in a way its like saying who was best out of Morison , Hunt or Paynter ( ok that's a bit extreme :D but you get the idea ) .

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed May 22, 2019 10:43 am

Clacton white wrote:
Yeboah wrote:If we can’t actually sell Saiz (given yep story yesterday) and MB doesn’t want him back. Then we might let him go for nowt or have him on loan again elsewhere. If we’d planned to get money in for him it may make next season even tighter.

The bugger seems to vary between £6m and worthless / nothing .

If he was worth any sort of decent fee, he wouldn’t have been allowed to leave Spain.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed May 22, 2019 10:45 am

Clacton white wrote:

Discuss....

Given he was by far the better player last season on the face of it seems reasonable , however , I think striker wise the club could do far better than both of then and given the goals to attempts ratio of the season just gone , they both leave a fair bit to desire . Roofe also out of contract next season , clubs sniffing around etc ( rather Bamford went but that would be at a loss I guess ) . He is the best striker at the club but in a way its like saying who was best out of Morison , Hunt or Paynter ( ok that's a bit extreme :D but you get the idea ) .

Would you invest £6m on him over 4 years or so?

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed May 22, 2019 11:56 am

With Dan James on verge of move to Scum, the crazy thing is that Leeds could have bought him for 8m. Then if we didn’t go up, we could have been selling him for £15m. That foresight obviously avoided the suits at ER

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Wed May 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Yeboah wrote:
Clacton white wrote:

Discuss....

Would you invest £6m on him over 4 years or so?

Given some of the players invested in over recent years , definitely YES . He's not a bad player by any means IMO , don't know if he's prem standard but I thought the same about Wood . The good thing is we can say all we like , its just opinion which at the end of the day none of our opinions really matter that much and will have no bearing on what the club does , so we can say what we like . Those that really make the decisions at the club are the opinions and decisions that matter , so its easy for me to say yes to Roofe . Pardon any spelling mistakes but keyboard is playing up and throwing in random or repeat letters . Guess the batteries are going or I've got food stuck in it :D ( don't ask :o )

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Yeboah wrote:With Dan James on verge of move to Scum, the crazy thing is that Leeds could have bought him for 8m. Then if we didn’t go up, we could have been selling him for £15m. That foresight obviously avoided the suits at ER

I'm guessing we probably could have got him for 6m cash. Swansea were desperate for cash at the time.

Scum did exactly that with us for Smith.

sebastianlovemonkey

Postby sebastianlovemonkey » Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Yeboah wrote:With Dan James on verge of move to Scum, the crazy thing is that Leeds could have bought him for 8m. Then if we didn’t go up, we could have been selling him for £15m. That foresight obviously avoided the suits at ER

First post in years, but in response to this Phil Hay was fairly certain the club offered cash upfront and wanted that first. The loan deal being the Swans preference. Pretty sure you know this too....

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 pm

sebastianlovemonkey wrote:

First post in years, but in response to this Phil Hay was fairly certain the club offered cash upfront and wanted that first. The loan deal being the Swans preference. Pretty sure you know this too....

Money talks.....and they were/are skint

sebastianlovemonkey

Postby sebastianlovemonkey » Wed May 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Money talks.....and they were/are skint[/quote]

It does and we are by no means flush, but James was ours but for a Huw Jenkins shaped intervention. Just shit luck for us.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Thu May 23, 2019 9:32 am

Daniel James not having a good 2019.
Nearly signs for Leeds, about to sign for Scum and now his father has just passed away.
Bloody gods not smiling down him, the poor sod.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 am

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:12 am

If James (who is 21) is going for 10-15m then we should not accept any less than 15m for Clarke as there is an extra 3 years worht of development in him.

City & Scum were sniffing around him prior to his Debut so we should play hard ball with any offer. The extra few million could make the difference if spent wisely.

How about a sale and loan back to us for the season? They will be loaning him out somewhere so why not us?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu May 23, 2019 10:44 am

And people are happy to stay in the Championship.

Oh the thrill of losing our best players every summer is exciting as fuck I'll give them that.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 23, 2019 11:01 am

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 23, 2019 11:24 am

dirty leeds wrote:https://twitter.com/PhilHayYEP/status/1131507880920846336

Oh great, another time-limited stress trigger. I don't have enough of those already, some more would be PERFECT.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”