Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
8ballali

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby 8ballali » Wed May 21, 2008 1:34 pm

It took thirteen days for me to be found right about him,but not heard any more about cathcart.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Wed May 21, 2008 1:42 pm

Bring 'em on. Big gamble by Robinson, shows his mettle. Let's hope it works out for all of us.

8ballali

Postby 8ballali » Wed May 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Swansea made him choose now rather than letting him wait until after sundays play-off final.
He had to choose the team he wants to play for no matter which division they are in.
They also offered to make him their highest payed player ever.
The fact he chose us is a massive statement of what team he wants to play for.

Kiwi White

Postby Kiwi White » Thu May 22, 2008 8:19 am

Could be useful signing for us , his goalscoring record is very good
'Robinson made 226 appearances for the Swans over five years scoring 54 goals '

Supernorm

Postby Supernorm » Wed May 28, 2008 9:56 am

From Vital Football website.............

Spurs seek another Leeds boy wonder.

Tottenham are considering adding yet more young talent to their already impressive group of 'wonder kids' with a bid for Leeds United Midfielder Jonathan Howson.

Apparently Gus Poyet is a big fan of the jewel in Leeds United's crown, who was 20 last week (21st)and is rated very highly as a prospect who will become a top player within the next couple of seasons.

Howson, though a Leeds boy, is frustrated at Leeds failure to gain promotion this season and is considering his options, with Dennis Wise also courting his former player at Newcastle.

The player may find it a tough decision deciding whether to try his luck in the premiership, with one of his former bosses or stick with the club he has supported all his life and play every week, as Leeds try for promotion next season

Ken Bates is anxious to extend Howson's current deal which has two seasons to run, but is very aware that he needs to get the deal extended or run the risk of the player buying out his contract next summer, 'if' Leeds fail to gain promotion next season.

Primarily a central Midfield player, Towards the end of last season, Howson became the clubs youngest captain since Billy Bremner, when he played 35 games including last weekends play-off final defeat to Doncaster.

The vultures are circling!!
:x :x :x
Gripper wrote: "I did a Shaolin Qi-Gong taster sesh a few weeks back. Dead good it was" :lol: :lol: :lol:

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Wed May 28, 2008 10:17 am

If Howson was 16 I could see Spurs going for him, but for a 20 year old to just be establishing himself in a League One side isn't actually all that impressive. Fabregas looked like a world beater at 16 when playing against the highest quality opposition available. A nothing story I reckon, simply adding together the fact Howson scored 2 goals in the semi, Poyet is at Spurs, and the fact Spurs try to sign every English youngster.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 28, 2008 10:26 am

thechubbyone wrote:If Howson was 16 I could see Spurs going for him, but for a 20 year old to just be establishing himself in a League One side isn't actually all that impressive. Fabregas looked like a world beater at 16 when playing against the highest quality opposition available. A nothing story I reckon, simply adding together the fact Howson scored 2 goals in the semi, Poyet is at Spurs, and the fact Spurs try to sign every English youngster.

yeah, it's definitely bollocks, for the reasons you state.

in exactly the same position [central/attacking midfield] they're rumoured to have signed that guy john bostock from palace, who's 16, made a few appearances in the championship this season [aged 15], and is the england under-17 captain. that's the calibre of player they're after. i can't think of any reason at all for them wanting howson, who's never [that i know of] been involved with any england youth team and who, as you state, is merely a pretty good third division player at 20.

that said, i can believe that both howson and, especially, beckford, might well be on the radars of various championship clubs. our resolve/ambition may well be tested in the weeks to come...

Jovo Simanic

Postby Jovo Simanic » Wed May 28, 2008 10:34 am

How unusual, Howson's offered a new contract and a rumour appears that Tottenham are looking at him. Completely unrelated and nothing to do with his agent I'm sure.....

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 28, 2008 10:38 am

Adrian Knup wrote:How unusual, Howson's offered a new contract and a rumour appears that Tottenham are looking at him. Completely unrelated and nothing to do with his agent I'm sure.....

yeah, it's a bit of a half-arsed effort to be honest, spurs, i mean they're not even in the big four.

at least, when his first pro deal was being negotiated, oliver hotchkiss [seemingly a million miles away from our first team at the age of 18]'s agent had the bollocks to give his boy a serious bit of hyping, calling him "...one of the best prospects I've ever seen, a mixture of Stevie Gerrard and David Beckham", and spreading rumours that arsenal were interested.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 am

when you think about it though the "beckford to newcastle" rumour is the most stupid of all. you can't even use the age of the player as an explanation. i guess maybe they might think that obafemi martins would play better if he was under a bit of pressure for his place :| ?

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Wed May 28, 2008 10:46 am

I'd personally take 1.5mil + for Howson or Beckford, as I don't think either are really as special as the hype suggests. For me Johnson looks a more talented and versatile player than Howson, yet due to him not being a "Leeds lad", he doesn't get half the hype.

Beckford is quick, and he is, er, quick. First touch is pretty poor, awareness is awful, finishing is variable. He occasionally produces something special, but without his pace he's absolutely nothing.

There probably will be interest in both players, so I just hope we stick stupid price tags on them both, as eventually some mug will pay it!

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 am

thechubbyone wrote:I'd personally take 1.5mil + for Howson or Beckford, as I don't think either are really as special as the hype suggests. For me Johnson looks a more talented and versatile player than Howson, yet due to him not being a "Leeds lad", he doesn't get half the hype..

totally agree on the £1.5m valuations and also the howson/BJ comparison.

i wonder though if i'd maybe value beckford a shade higher though, more because of his role in the squad than his quality as a player [i agree that he's more or less all about pace]...

you can easily imagine what our first XI would be like if we lost howson, more or less the same, i'd say, his supposed high value is based almost entirely on 'promise', assuming that douglas plays we've got kilkenny & prutton both competing for howson's shirt, with BJ presumably hoping to move into central midfield and [possibly] younger guys like delph & howson also hoping to break through in that position. so losing howson would be a bit of a blow but you can easily imagine us filling the vacancy internally, using guys who are already reasonably settled within the squad, without needing to recruit.

but if we lost beckford, well, where would the goals come from? we'd clearly need to recruit a replacement, and given that we probably also needed to sign a partner for beckford, i.e. a target man or second striker, you'd potentially be looking at an entirely new forward line, that's a pretty major piece of surgery for a team that, on the pitch, actually earned enough points to go up automatically this season, and that was before adding quality players like this swansea guy and, er, michalik, BJ, and so on... i'm sure that there are a fair number of players as good as beckford out there, but there's always a risk when you're signing someone new, you never quite know how good they'll be...

Jovo Simanic

Postby Jovo Simanic » Wed May 28, 2008 11:23 am

Obviously a silly money bid would buy an entire team in this League so would inevitably be taken but I wouldn't want to sell either Howson or Beckford. Howson's obviously easier to replace than Beckford but to me it's sort of symbolic - when was the last time we kept hold of a promising youngster? Every time a half decent offer comes in, off they go. We've heard a lot about how we've turned a corner and so on - I want to see that confirmed. We've cleared our debts, maintained the 13th largest average crowd in the country whilst paying L1 wages and taken compensation for 2 manger types leaving so we shouldn't need to sell anybody let alone yet another youth teamer. I for one want to see a Leeds team with at least some players from Leeds in it and for the academy to provide Leeds players not saleable assets. We are Leeds and we're nobody's bitch.

Two seasons ago I supported the sale of Hulse and Killa and look what good that did. Our priority must be to get out of this division and we're not going to do that by selling our better players.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 28, 2008 11:42 am

yeah, well, i mean, whether selling a player stacks up or not depends on, firstly, how good he is and, secondly, how good the price is.

howson, well, i just don't rate him all that highly, for me if we sold him for a seven figure fee then he'd go on to be one of those guys like simon walton, alan maybury, matty jones [pre injuries] and so on, who goes on to have a decent career but never really makes you think that you particularly lost out by selling.

in terms of selling hulse & kilgallon, well, the prices that we got for those two were very acceptable, you were right to support the deals based on the information made public at the time, what none of us knew at the time was how little money would be available for replacements... hulse ended up [partly due to cresswell's injuries] being replaced, pretty much, by a combination of geoff horsefield & tresor kandol, with kilgallon [after a few months of chopping and changing, the decision to freeze out butler & gregan so quickly didn't help] being replaced by matt heath. so we ended up more or less switching borderling prem/championship quality players with borderline, no, not borderline, out-and-out, indeed fairly unexceptional, league one players.

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:05 pm

From fans online

Leeds are reported to have made a surprise £500k bid for Celtic's Derek Riorden.

Riorden has made 24 appearances for Celtic scoring only 5 goals, prior to that Riorden was at Hibs where he made 123 appearances scoring 54 goals. Riorden has been frozen out at Celtic in recent months and the club accepted bids from Rangers and Cardiff which Riorden himself turned down wishing instead to fight for his place at Celtic.

Burnley are also reported to be interested in securing the 25 year olds services.

Can't say I've seen the lad play, but from what I've read he would be a pretty good signing.

BC

Postby BC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:38 pm

jackos wrote:From fans online

Leeds are reported to have made a surprise £500k bid for Celtic's Derek Riorden.

Riorden has made 24 appearances for Celtic scoring only 5 goals, prior to that Riorden was at Hibs where he made 123 appearances scoring 54 goals. Riorden has been frozen out at Celtic in recent months and the club accepted bids from Rangers and Cardiff which Riorden himself turned down wishing instead to fight for his place at Celtic.

Burnley are also reported to be interested in securing the 25 year olds services.

Can't say I've seen the lad play, but from what I've read he would be a pretty good signing.

The rumour is probably bollocks, however from what i understand of his placin style if we sign him it would be instead of rather than as well as beckford. Cant see them complimenting each other.

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:25 am

BC wrote: if we sign him it would be instead of rather than as well as beckford. Cant see them complimenting each other.

A Celtic lad for a Cockney? Not a bad swap :D

Rumour has it that 500K won't do it, so Macca will be back with a bigger offer, I suppose that might mean he has to sell first. But with Becks disciplinary problems we need cover for him even if he stays, (n you can't plan a promotion season on the back of one bloody striker anyway), at the mo we have

Tres, Elliott, Ameobi, Constantine n Elding - We could also play with Howson in the hole in with only one striker I suppose .. I guess Macca would listen to offers for any of Tres, Constantine or Elding.

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Now it's a million all of a sudden ...

Leeds United chase £1m man

Published Date: 03 June 2008
By Phil Hay
Leeds United will face an asking price of £1m if Gary McAllister moves for Celtic striker Derek Riordan.
The 25-year-old forward is being strongly linked with a transfer to Elland Road, but Celtic are expected to hold out for a seven-figure sum from interested clubs this summer.

Leeds, who expressed an interest in Riordan during the January transfer window, have an eye on the Scotland international again and he has repeatedly stated his desire to end an unproductive spell at Celtic Park.

Riordan was signed from Hibernian by Gordon Strachan in June 2006 but has made a total of eight league starts in two seasons, his most recent coming in December of last year.

Speaking in April, Riordan said: "I've virtually chucked it at Celtic. What's the point when I'm not getting a chance?

"I've been here two years and it's not happened yet so I don't see it happening now. I like it here and would love to prove myself but the nasty thing is not playing."

As many as five clubs attempted to sign Riordan on loan in January, Burnley failed in their attempt to strike a permanent deal with a bid of around £400,000, and potential buyers will be asked to offer in the region of £1million to secure his release before the start of next term.

It is understood that Riordan would be willing to seriously consider a move to Elland Road, regardless of the club's failure to regain their place in the Championship.

The forward has 12 months remaining on the three-year contract he agreed with Celtic in 2006.

His eight league starts in Glasgow have yielded five goals, but Riordan's prowess was more vividly display in Edinburgh, where he turned professional with Hibs and scored 54 goals in 123 SPL appearances.

He produced 23 goals during the 2004-05 season and 20 over the course of the following campaign, earning himself a transfer to one half of the Old Firm.

McAllister has already revealed an ambitious approach to the transfer market by persuading Andy Robinson to leave promoted Swansea City and take up a three-year contract at Elland Road.

Robinson's arrival will be finalised on July 1 when his existing deal at the Liberty Stadium ends.

McAllister, meanwhile, has stressed the importance of a convincing start to the new League One season on the back of the club's defeat in the play-off final last month.

United won their first seven leagues matches during the 2007-08 term and were unbeaten in 13 before their defeat at Carlisle United on November 3, and McAllister hopes to see his club set the pace next term.

The Leeds boss, who will discover United's fixture list for next season on June 16, said: "We've got to have a good start. We're all keen to make the same sort of start.

"We'll be looking to play attacking football and score goals, but at the same time we have to be disciplined and play at a tempo our opponents will find difficult.

"Most of all, though, we have to hit the ground running."

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:29 pm

Riordan, well, i don't think i've ever watched or even read a match report of a game that he's played in, so shouldn't really comment, but, still, i'd always be nervous about signing a player from scotland.

Ian - Toronto White

Postby Ian - Toronto White » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:14 pm

the flying pig wrote:Riordan, well, i don't think i've ever watched or even read a match report of a game that he's played in, so shouldn't really comment, but, still, i'd always be nervous about signing a player from scotland.

.....yes, brings back memories of George McCluskey and Derek Parlane who both joined Leeds with big reputations and scoring records in the Scottish League but failed to make an impact.

Nb. I was also going to mention Derek Lilley but I'm not sure that he had either a big reputation or a decent scoring record in the Scottish League :roll: :roll:

Return to “The Square Ball”