AndyPaul

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby AndyPaul » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Blackwhite wrote::mrgreen: ah ya cunt Andy

:lol:

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:51 pm

Gallagher is fine, above decent for his age. He was the standout player in the Championship in the season we went up. The raw materials are there for him to develop and Bielsa could definitely improve him. If it came to it I'd be fine with it but I wouldn't expect him to play much outside of injuries.

However, I suspect he won't come this summer. I think we're looking at quite a few players and sometimes we use that to our advantage in terms of negotiations.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:24 pm

rss1969 wrote:I will be very disappointed if this turns out to be true.

Gallagher is not all that. Decent championship player & good enough for lower end prem (as he was last season for Baggies). Not good enough for us.

We have Shackleton who can fill in for us where needed, he has never let us down.

Fuck Chelsea and their poxy loans

I'm another who doesn't particularly rate Gallagher. Partly it's because he looks such a twat, but mainly 'cause I've never seen him have a game where he really impressed me.
Always the Bielsa factor etc etc... but still: underwhelmed, if true.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 pm

Tommy wrote:Gallagher is fine, above decent for his age. He was the standout player in the Championship in the season we went up. The raw materials are there for him to develop and Bielsa could definitely improve him. If it came to it I'd be fine with it but I wouldn't expect him to play much outside of injuries.

However, I suspect he won't come this summer. I think we're looking at quite a few players and sometimes we use that to our advantage in terms of negotiations.

Each to their own Tommy but I am not having that.

Pereira, Benrahma, Phillips, Mbuemo, Watkins, White, Eze & Mitrovic were all better performers than him (yeah some from different positions on the pitch).

I really think that there is some glaze when it comes to these loanees from the top 4/5 clubs, especially Chelsea.

He was good for Charlton but disappointing for baggies last season, why on earth do we want to develop him on their behalf?

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Lot of energy being expelled at dismissing the prospects of 21 year old kid who was one of the best players for a Premier League outfit last season.

Sounds very Leedsy too

The first word that springs to mind watching Gallagher is energy—a key characteristic of any good box-to-box midfielder. Although the football West Brom played was quite passive—the team built around a strong defensive core rather than attacking principles—Gallagher stood out due to his active, aggressive play style. While at the Hawthorns, the youngster was a pressing machine. His 25.21 pressures per 90 ranked him among the top four percent of his positional peers over the last 365 days across the top five leagues, fbref reveals. Smarterscout rated his defending intensity 98/99 and his ability to disrupt opposition moves 76/99, painting him as one of the most active midfielders in the league defensively.
Keep Fighting

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:15 pm

MightyWhite wrote:Lot of energy being expelled at dismissing the prospects of 21 year old kid who was one of the best players for a Premier League outfit last season.

Sounds very Leedsy too

The first word that springs to mind watching Gallagher is energy—a key characteristic of any good box-to-box midfielder. Although the football West Brom played was quite passive—the team built around a strong defensive core rather than attacking principles—Gallagher stood out due to his active, aggressive play style. While at the Hawthorns, the youngster was a pressing machine. His 25.21 pressures per 90 ranked him among the top four percent of his positional peers over the last 365 days across the top five leagues, fbref reveals. Smarterscout rated his defending intensity 98/99 and his ability to disrupt opposition moves 76/99, painting him as one of the most active midfielders in the league defensively.

I am just going off what I saw with my own eyes. I watched plenty of them last season and Gallagher gave the ball away a fair bit and seemed an untidy player. It could well be the team he was playing for but I would rather stick with what we have and bring in players from the U23's if we cant find or cant afford better.

Twatstat.com can say what it likes but we need players who are going to add something different or better to the team. We already press the fuck out of the opposition, it is some extra creativity & goals from central/attacking midfield that we need.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Surely we must have now passed the stage that we have to bring in loan players, especially Midfielders.

I quite like the fact of a loan to buy, nothing at all wrong with that (Harrison).
I totally begrudge us 'Doing a Ben White'.

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 pm

welshwhite wrote:Surely we must have now passed the stage that we have to bring in loan players, especially Midfielders.

I quite like the fact of a loan to buy, nothing at all wrong with that (Harrison).

would be happier with a loan to buy also. He seemed a good player just would want to be playing him every week then have to find another new midfielder next season when we are hopefully strengthening the squad for another season in the PL

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:32 pm

Chieftain626 wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Surely we must have now passed the stage that we have to bring in loan players, especially Midfielders.

would be happier with a loan to buy also. He seemed a good player just would want to be playing him every week then have to find another new midfielder next season when we are hopefully strengthening the squad for another season in the PL

I just can't think who we'd have to drop out of our midfield to accommodate him?
I recon, Harrison, Phillips, Rodrigo* & Raph are certain starters.

If he ain't a Striker*

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:07 pm

I don't mind 'doing a Ben White' if he's the difference between top 4 and mid table but if it's more like 8th or 12th I'd rather give Shackleton, Roberts or the more promising U23s a run of games.

I don't see Gallagher being the man to make that sort of difference.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I don't mind 'doing a Ben White' if he's the difference between top 4 and mid table but if it's more like 8th or 12th I'd rather give Shackleton, Roberts or the more promising U23s a run of games.

apart from shack we don't really have any midfielders who are ready to make that step up. jack jenkins was named on the bench a lot last year but he was never going to be used as he isn't quite at the standard yet. i was expecting that new boy bate was going to take that role. apart from him there's the young lad from ireland, charlie allen, who might have a chance in a couple of years. i thought mateusz bogus may have been able to make the step up but he faded, so i suppose there is a bit of a vacancy if we want to dot the i's and cross the t's.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:I don't mind 'doing a Ben White' if he's the difference between top 4 and mid table but if it's more like 8th or 12th I'd rather give Shackleton, Roberts or the more promising U23s a run of games.

apart from shack we don't really have any midfielders who are ready to make that step up. jack jenkins was named on the bench a lot last year but he was never going to be used as he isn't quite at the standard yet. i was expecting that new boy bate was going to take that role. apart from him there's the young lad from ireland, charlie allen, who might have a chance in a couple of years. i thought mateusz bogus may have been able to make the step up but he faded, so i suppose there is a bit of a vacancy if we want to dot the i's and cross the t's.

I guess maybe I was thinking of Bate, Summerville, Gelhardt or Drameh with whatever re-jigging of other players that means. Presumably mostly not playing Dallas at full back or wide so he's available for central midfield.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Seriously guys, stop trying to make Shack happen. It’s not going to happen.

Never thought I’d have to use Mean Girls to try get you lot to realise it was time to let go of a player who didn’t quite make it in a lower league two years ago and definitely isn’t going to make it at Leeds whilst ever God is in charge, if indeed ever.

Just be fucking grateful I don’t invoke Frozen and tell you to Let It Go…

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:56 am

Yep as I've said before. If Shack was going to make a break through he would have done by now. Chances are he will struggle to make the bench this season.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:08 am

I don't get why some are finding it so easy to write our young players off.
But then I also am not sure why Bielsa has shown so much faith in Roberts and not Shackleton, when the latter appears more versatile and energetic. He is small though.
I know we are expecting more new players in, but they have not shown up yet and only 3 weeks until our Old Trafford visit.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:18 am

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:Seriously guys, stop trying to make Shack happen. It’s not going to happen.

Never thought I’d have to use Mean Girls to try get you lot to realise it was time to let go of a player who didn’t quite make it in a lower league two years ago and definitely isn’t going to make it at Leeds whilst ever God is in charge, if indeed ever.

I do think he's probably done but I'd rather give him more chances than play a Chelsea loanee we can't buy and who's not likely to take us to the next level.

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:33 am

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:Seriously guys, stop trying to make Shack happen. It’s not going to happen.

I am not a big shack fan either. He is neat and tidy in possession but doesn't do a lot for me. Last season he had a tendency to pick up small injuries after every game he played so he never got a consistent run.

Big season for him I think.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:35 am

For me one of Shacks problems is does he have an actual position? I was under the impression when he first broke through he was a RB? Then he's played the wing, centre mid, defensive mid, has he even played behind the striker? It's OK for Dallas when he's already established in the first team but Shacks position seems to be if we've got injuries he can sit on the bench and maybe get a run out if needed wherever we need him. He really could have done with a few years out on loan. Seems a bit late now.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:15 am

Eddies Boots wrote:I don't get why some are finding it so easy to write our young players off.
But then I also am not sure why Bielsa has shown so much faith in Roberts and not Shackleton, when the latter appears more versatile and energetic. He is small though.

It’s interesting with all this stuff, as a fan. On the one hand you think, ‘I watch the games, I know what I see’ and on the other you think that Bielsa knows more than I do, so what do I know? And clearly the system’s working, on the whole.

So on one side of this thinking I still don’t get Roberts at all, but on the other I think it’s pretty clear that Shack isn’t going to make it under Bielsa, so I’m sort of writing him off.
Member of a clique

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:48 am

I have a lot of faith in Shack. His ability to run at the opposition in tight spaces and his engine gives him an awful lot of the raw materials for a modern footballer. Id like see him play 40 games this season for a good Championship side.
Keep Fighting

Return to “The Square Ball”