Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Oheddieeddie

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Mr Reality wrote:I
Oheddieeddie wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:I have always said the club need to be looking for value it's a worry that we can't compete with the big hitters in this league which is why I wanted to see a smaller squad this season with a greater emphasis on quality rather than quantity. Orta went the other way.

Its a critical point of the season we have already spent to cover for mistakes last summer and given we are falling behind in the behind in the league I wonder if they are writing this off, if so I hope lessons are learned unlike from last season to this.

I suggest you give victor a call and explain the difference between cost and value.

This smaller squad you are hankering for.. would that be more or less helpful in dealing with our current injury and suspension crisis that is at the root of our current form do you think?

The current form is a lot deeper than the injury and suspension crisis. Although I would be questioning how TC has managed discipline this season or not managed as it would seem.

Has the larger squad helped all the random loan players have they helped ? Has Grot helped? Has Klich helped? Did Cbj help?

Interestingly last season we only 23 players yet we have already used 26. Has the extra depth helped?

I know I know 5 year plan blah blah we don't want promotion this season.....

The reality is a lot of money has been wasted this season by people with big ideas who don't seem to understand those ideas can only be implemented in the top flight. It's a shame but it's true.

I'm assuming the reason that you can't/won't answer the question is that you know the answer invalidates your view.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:27 pm

You assume incorrectly it's a narrow question which ignores numerous aspects of the season.

Why did we have more points last season when we used less players?

Surely bigger squad = more points based on your simplistic logic?

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:13 pm

usual battlelines drawn eh...?

Hard to argue that the squad ISNT too big or that the recruitment (thus far) hasnt been an utter shambles. Especially in midfield. More quality (money?) on fewer players would seem to make more sense. No reason to have more than 22/23 in the squad (2,8,8,4).

More worryingly the hierarchy at the club appear to be buying who they want without consulting the fuckwit head coach, and there appears to be no strategy. At what point do we accept the early season form was an outlier and that where we are now (form wise) is actual normality?

On an earlier point, the club clearly don't own the ground.....and there is a reason that its been structured as such, and no it needn't appear in the club accounts it could be well hidden.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Fkn Stadtler & Waldorf back in full flow
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Fkn Stadtler & Waldorf back in full flow

:salute:

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Yeboah wrote:usual battlelines drawn eh...?

Hard to argue that the squad ISNT too big or that the recruitment (thus far) hasnt been an utter shambles. Especially in midfield. More quality (money?) on fewer players would seem to make more sense. No reason to have more than 22/23 in the squad (2,8,8,4).

More worryingly the hierarchy at the club appear to be buying who they want without consulting the fuckwit head coach, and there appears to be no strategy. At what point do we accept the early season form was an outlier and that where we are now (form wise) is actual normality?

On an earlier point, the club clearly don't own the ground.....and there is a reason that its been structured as such, and no it needn't appear in the club accounts it could be well hidden.

2 for every position would be my ideal, supplemented by youth (eg PBF as 3rd keeper) but suppose a couple of decent utility players adds flexibility depending on intended system and there's a need to consider the possibility players won't work out if turnover is too high. We're not a million miles off that, just a few haven't worked and a few more have suffered injuries.

Wiedwald, Lonergan

Ayling Berardi

Pontus Cooper Pennington Shaughnessy

CBJ (Le Bock) Anita

Vieira O'Kane Phillips Klich (Forshaw)

Alioski Sacko

Saiz Hernandez

Dallas Roofe

Lasogga Ekuban

Then there's Grot and Cibicki. No harm having more options in attacking areas. Argue about the quality all you like but there's 2 players for every position in our recognised squad and it seems that's part of the grand plan, one comes in when another is leaving. I don't think I've missed anyone? Wood, Bridcutt, Green moved on, Gomez not expected to be first team.

The ground ownership isn't abnormal and isn't a worry as long as the ownership is trying to do right by LUFC. That said, an ownership which doesn't can fuck about with a ground owned by the club almost as easily as one owned by the parent company.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 pm

That is almost total, utter rubbish from start to finish. The only bit that holds water is that the early season form wa an outlier. Bin the rest...

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:55 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:

That is almost total, utter rubbish from start to finish. The only bit that holds water is that the early season form wa an outlier. Bin the rest...

Glad to see you agree.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let’s see what the rest of the season brings eh?

Remember the head coach was apparently appointed on the basis of a PowerPoint presentation that extolled the virtues of EOK.!!

What did we really expect.?

Oh and on squad size, last time we got promoted to the top division, 25 players were used.

And that includes the likes of Turner and Pearson and Thomas who made 2 each etc.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 am

Why does Mr R keep mentioning a 5 year plan when many times it’s been explained that he has completely misunderstood it?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:43 am

Ponte wrote:Why does Mr R keep mentioning a 5 year plan when many times it’s been explained that he has completely misunderstood it?

I think I have an idea why.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 am

Phil LUFC wrote:2 for every position would be my ideal, supplemented by youth (eg PBF as 3rd keeper) but suppose a couple of decent utility players adds flexibility depending on intended system and there's a need to consider the possibility players won't work out if turnover is too high. We're not a million miles off that, just a few haven't worked and a few more have suffered injuries.

Wiedwald, Lonergan

Ayling Berardi

Pontus Cooper Pennington Shaughnessy

CBJ (Le Bock) Anita

Vieira O'Kane Phillips Klich (Forshaw)

Alioski Sacko

Saiz Hernandez

Dallas Roofe

Lasogga Ekuban

Then there's Grot and Cibicki. No harm having more options in attacking areas. Argue about the quality all you like but there's 2 players for every position in our recognised squad and it seems that's part of the grand plan, one comes in when another is leaving. I don't think I've missed anyone? Wood, Bridcutt, Green moved on, Gomez not expected to be first team.

The ground ownership isn't abnormal and isn't a worry as long as the ownership is trying to do right by LUFC. That said, an ownership which doesn't can fuck about with a ground owned by the club almost as easily as one owned by the parent company.

Cheers, Phil. Saved me posting the same points.
Must admit, I cannot see why we brought Grot in. He doesn't look anything like up to it. Given his CV, though, Klich ought to have been - a forgivable failure, you might say, whereas Grot is hard to explain. CBJ likewise, especially after his poor showing at last year's version of Wolves. We've had very bad luck with Ekuban, though. It's a mixed bag, right enough. Fingers crossed that Forshaw turns out to be the leader we need in deeper midfield and that Lasogga has an injury-free run and maintains his confidence.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Ponte wrote:Why does Mr R keep mentioning a 5 year plan when many times it’s been explained that he has completely misunderstood it?

Because thats apparently the time limit for promotion.

We will see in time who misunderstood it. :thumbl:

thestraw

Postby thestraw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:06 pm

More Serie B shite coming our way? :cheers:
#MOT #GAWA

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:38 pm

In answer to Dirty above, I think Grots problem is largely one of attitude (as with PML). His YouTube reel shows some quality (fwiw) and he's highly regarded in Holland.

Looks like he can't be arsed to me, as though he's taken the huff!

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:In answer to Dirty above, I think Grots problem is largely one of attitude (as with PML). His YouTube reel shows some quality (fwiw) and he's highly regarded in Holland.

Looks like he can't be arsed to me, as though he's taken the huff!

yeah i remember early in one of the games he started there was a 'miscommunication' between him and pablo, where pablo played a ball into the space he expected grot to move into. not only did grot fail to get anywhere near the pass, unsurprisingly, but he them gobbed off quite stroppily at pablo. showed no respect at all for our most experienced and possibly most talented pro and i just thought, 'you massive twat'.

still reckon with a good kick up the fundament and some decent coaching he could be a great player though, it's just tiny things, the odd feint to open a bit of space up etc that, together with his build, mean he's got potential, though i won't be betting on him fulfilling it.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:

2 for every position would be my ideal, supplemented by youth (eg PBF as 3rd keeper) but suppose a couple of decent utility players adds flexibility depending on intended system and there's a need to consider the possibility players won't work out if turnover is too high. We're not a million miles off that, just a few haven't worked and a few more have suffered injuries.

My take on the squad listed so far

Wiedwald Poor Lonergan Even worse

Ayling Poor this season/injured Berardi average defender

Pontus quality, should be angling for a move if any sense Cooper shocking Pennington average Shaughnessy who knows?

CBJ shit/uninterested(Le Bock) wait and see Anita hardly used, been ok

Vieira see Pontus O'Kane poor Phillips average but room for improvement Klich waste of money(Forshaw) wait & see

Alioski inconsistent Sacko as bad a player as Cooper

Saiz see Pontus Hernandez better this season, has been 1 of the success stories

Dallas cant see a future for him here Roofe done well, incosistent but messed about position wise

Lasogga could be what we want but has issues Ekuban promising but injured twice (worryingly)

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Apologies for the font above, but you get the point.

We have cover for an average squad. Players like Dallas & Anita (arguably Berardi) are more than 1 for 1 cover as they can operate in different positions.

There is a complete lack of quality, I hope that we make no more 1st team signings this season as it all looks like we have signed players for the sake of it.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 pm

rss1969 wrote:Apologies for the font above, but you get the point.

We have cover for an average squad. Players like Dallas & Anita (arguably Berardi) are more than 1 for 1 cover as they can operate in different positions.

There is a complete lack of quality, I hope that we make no more 1st team signings this season as it all looks like we have signed players for the sake of it.

Yeah I get the point. I don't fully agree with it though. Well, more that I didn't really have expectations of a "good" squad this season given the players we knew we'd lose last summer, above average maybe. To go beyond that we have to start paying bigger fees. Alioski for example - inconsistent is hard to argue with bit we're talking about a range of steady to very good, he's rarely poor as even when he's well nullified he works hard for the team.

There's a reasonable argument to say you only need 3 full backs when 1 can cover on both sides or 3 CBs when you have a youth option who's had decent and/or a full back who can do a job in the middle. Further forward I do think you need more options/competition - to avoid becoming predictable of nothing else (predictable is all well and good of you can be good enough to be effective regardless). You need flexibility of you're going to go with a smallish squad, injuries/suspensions are all but inevitable.

Munson

Postby Munson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am

Keeper. Argy. Mixed bag of shit loans and prem/champs league appearances.

Emiliano Martinez. Musta, translation por favor...

https://argentina.as.com/argentina/2018 ... 21226.html

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:38 am

Munson wrote:Keeper. Argy. Mixed bag of shit loans and prem/champs league appearances.

Emiliano Martinez. Musta, translation por favor...

https://argentina.as.com/argentina/2018 ... 21226.html

Hardly got a game so looking to restart his career.
He's on Arsenal's books, couple of clubs shown an interest.
The writer seems to think it's a done deal and will go through before the window closes.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Return to “The Square Ball”