Is Heckingbottom's brand of football good enough for Leeds United

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Is Heckingbottom's brand of football good enough for Leeds United

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:44 am

Phil Hay's twitter pointed me at this: http://www.trainingground.guru/articles ... eds-united

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Phil Hay's twitter pointed me at this: http://www.trainingground.guru/articles ... eds-united

sounds vaguely hopefull :scratch:

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I'm getting a bit of a Yorkshire's answer to Dennis Wise vibe.

Maybe I'm alone in enjoying some of his time here, I enjoyed going to games during the minus 15 points early doors part of that season. Us against the world attitute. The team huddles were something else...we still get the 10 second one now with a few brief words but nothing compared to those days.

I'd love to see him back here now with Joey Barton as his assistant :)

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:14 pm

welshwhite wrote:

Maybe I'm alone in enjoying some of his time here, I enjoyed going to games during the minus 15 points early doors part of that season. Us against the world attitute. The team huddles were something else...we still get the 10 second one now with a few brief words but nothing compared to those days.

There did seem a certain togetherness and bond within that side - it was almost Wimbledon - or Don Revie era Leeds ( without the trophies ) - assort of fuck you all approach . They were almost burned out though by the time they'd got to a very respectable position considering the 15 point loss . I do think any manager of the Bates era can't be judged fairly as they were so handicapped by Bates In terms of what could be done and who could come in player wise , plus Bates selling off any asset whatsoever . I really hate Warnock ...but look what he did before and after Leeds - its only really Leeds at this level he has failed at , and that is the Bates factor kicking in - NO ONE could succeed while Bates was around , the club just wasn't geared or set up for any sort of success .

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:19 pm

welshwhite wrote:

Maybe I'm alone in enjoying some of his time here, I enjoyed going to games during the minus 15 points early doors part of that season. Us against the world attitute, The team huddles were something else...we still get the 10 second one now with a few brief words but nothing compared to those days.

I still don't always know when you're serious or taking the piss! But yes, that start of that season was highly enjoyable. I didn't like Wise but a good chunk of that was the closeness he had with Bates/prior incidents confirming he was a nasty cunt.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
welshwhite wrote:

Maybe I'm alone in enjoying some of his time here, I enjoyed going to games during the minus 15 points early doors part of that season. Us against the world attitute, The team huddles were something else...we still get the 10 second one now with a few brief words but nothing compared to those days.

I still don't always know when you're serious or taking the piss! But yes, that start of that season was highly enjoyable. I didn't like Wise but a good chunk of that was the closeness he had with Bates/prior incidents confirming he was a nasty cunt.

Its a serious post.....as always :thumbl:

Just imagine him and Barton here (two young fully qualified coaches as it happens).

"Sorry I got sent off, boss".

Whallop :mrgreen:

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am

Right I'm now Convinced absolutely that our new manager is a disaster in waiting

No it's not his anti Leeds comments, or what somebody described as an EDL appearance. None of that.

It's not the fact that he has seen the reaction to TCs heartfelt goodbye message to the Leeds fans and thought it would look good on him if he now wrote one to the Barnsley fans despite the crass lack of understanding that his choice to leave makes the sentiment hollow and engineered. None of that.

It's that a supposedly grown man has signed a serious letter expressing a conflicted rallying call ..."ECKIE" :brillsmurf: :bounce: :joker2:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
welshwhite wrote:I'd love to see him back here now with Joey Barton as his assistant :)

I still don't always know when you're serious or taking the piss!

He's seriousing the piss

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:20 pm

I think the narrative change that has gone on at ER these last few weeks has been one of the most astonishing pieces of PR spin I've ever witnessed.

We are demonstrably worse than we were before Heckingbottom arrived. He came so were told on a remit of reigniting our play off push. We were also told that the previous manager was not getting enough out of the squad we had, and that PH could do this. The chairman even went so far as to apologise to the fans for his judgement on appointing the previous manager who wasn't up to it, but reassured us via talk sport that the new man was clearly better equipped.

So how has that turned into... The new manager is handicapped by this terrible squad, and it's impossible for him to do anything with these players. Ever.

Radio Leeds don't even discuss PH, or brook any dissent on him, is he a friend of Noel's?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 pm

OEE, the biggest mistake a lot of fans make is listening to the clap-trap that gets released from clubs. Its on a par with a losing managers post defeat interview...its a lot easier to make up our own minds with what we see with our own eyes.
The only thing I've believed off Radz is that he's working everything on a five year plan.

No more the fool as Kiki Dee once sang.
Fantastic song.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:50 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:I think the narrative change that has gone on at ER these last few weeks has been one of the most astonishing pieces of PR spin I've ever witnessed.

We are demonstrably worse than we were before Heckingbottom arrived. He came so were told on a remit of reigniting our play off push. We were also told that the previous manager was not getting enough out of the squad we had, and that PH could do this. The chairman even went so far as to apologise to the fans for his judgement on appointing the previous manager who wasn't up to it, but reassured us via talk sport that the new man was clearly better equipped.

So how has that turned into... The new manager is handicapped by this terrible squad, and it's impossible for him to do anything with these players. Ever.

Radio Leeds don't even discuss PH, or brook any dissent on him, is he a friend of Noel's?

The club has been on the defensive for months but the problems have come as the owners liked to talk too much.

I get the impression that radrizanni has good intentions but sadly with every passing week he looks less capable of achieving anything.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:50 am

Oheddieeddie wrote: So how has that turned into... The new manager is handicapped by this terrible squad, and it's impossible for him to do anything with these players. Ever.

I'm not sure this is a conscious decision by anyone in particular, certainly not the club. I suspect it's something to do with all the individual player errors which are hard to pin on Heckingbottom. I have to admit it bothers me a bit because the consensus seemed to be that we should blame TC for similar sorts of mistakes. I stand by my opinion that sacking TC was the error of judgement, not appointing Heckingbottom. I'm sure he'll be fine if he gets the right players for the job, same as any other manager.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:37 am

Potentially interesting development today - Sam Dalby and Ryan Edmondson have been training with the first team today. These two have been quite literally scoring for fun at their respective levels since signing from Leyton Orient and York City respectively and they're both bigger lads who look like they could probably cope with the physicality of the Championship. Of course, there's no guarantee that either will ever amount to owt but it can't hurt having them involved on some level with the first team squad. If nowt else it might stick a much needed rocket up Ekuban and Grot's respective arses.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Phil Hay tweeting from the press Conference today that the Heckler said of Ekuban:

Whatever anyone says every player wants to do well. The other players all love him, and he's been in ahead of Lasogga on merit

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Given that Roofe is imminently back and we've suddenly got two additional strikers in training from the youth teams, I can't help but wonder if Ekuban's chances are about to run out.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Tommy wrote:wonder if Ekuban's chances are about to run out.

If he had another he'd miss it anyway.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Ponte wrote:
Tommy wrote:wonder if Ekuban's chances are about to run out.

If he had another he'd miss it anyway.

I've come to the conclusion they play without goalkeepers in Albania. Shame, I really like his attitude and work rate, would love to see it matched with an ability to score regularly at this level. There's something Radebe-esque about that smile.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:53 pm

There was a story in the YEP today that featured a quote from Kalvin saying that Ekuban scores those chances in training nine times out of ten. Given that at least some of these will be past Felix and Lonergan, I think I might have a suggestion as to why he's finding it more difficult on a matchday.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Tommy wrote:There was a story in the YEP today that featured a quote from Kalvin saying that Ekuban scores those chances in training nine times out of ten. Given that at least some of these will be past Felix and Lonergan, I think I might have a suggestion as to why he's finding it more difficult on a matchday.

:lol: :lol: :thumbl:
Andymac

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:55 am

Phil Hay
‏ @PhilHayYEP
46m46 minutes ago

"We had a really good team last year, maybe a team who were better suited to the Championship." Pontus Jansson reflects on the failings at Leeds United this season:

Pontus knows what he's talking about. The Heck knows all about the Championship and understands what type of players are able to cope with all aspects to succeed there.
I think that's the biggest factor of us bringing him here.

I'd say we need a few more bigger players, Fulham were another team that found it easy to just brush us off the ball. We just could not cope with their pace and power, for instance their second goal.

Players like Alioski and Saiz need protection - What's Vinnie and Kamara doing these days?

Return to “The Square Ball”