Better Late Than Dead 2018 Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: Better Late Than Dead 2018 Thread

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 am

Quiffy wrote:Wasn't reaney a loiner too?

Dunno. He was born in West London after his mother got knocked up during the war by a black American GI. But moved up here fairly young I think. Half marks?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 am

the flying pig wrote:

Dunno. He was born in West London after his mother got knocked up during the war by a black American GI. But moved up here fairly young I think. Half marks?

Half marks? Reported for racism.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 am

Reaney like Madeley was simply very modest, humble but class acts, met them both several times, always very friendly and consider myself privileged to have seen them play.
Not sorry for repeating this but George Best was quoted as saying Paul Reaney was the best and hardest he ever played against.
And not in dirty way, most think of Bite your legs Norm or King Billy but the one who tattoed most shins & ankles was Jonny Giles!

Madeley was born in Beeston, a stones throw from the Scratching Shed,started in LS28 at Farsley Celtic, only ever supported & played for Leeds, reported 727 appearances,
After experiencing such legends that made the Club what it was, its so hard now to stomach the club selling our home grown talent.

Jimmy Armfields autobiography, says it all "Madeley once actually signed a new contract on what was virtually a blank piece of paper. I called him in to discuss terms and opened discussions by saying, 'OK, Paul, we'll give you so much'. He replied that he had no intention of leaving Leeds so he might as well sign the contract and let me fill in the details. I said, 'What do you want, then, two years or three years?' He answered, 'Either way, I'll leave it to you. I just want to play for Leeds,' and that was that"

Fkn class, thank you Paul Madeley, RIP
:salute:

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 am

Quiffy wrote:
the flying pig wrote:

Half marks? Reported for racism.

This. Shameful :shake1:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 pm

A good story has emerged from Paul Reaney today via a fan. He says Madeley was quiet as a mouse apart from once, when Brian Clough walked into the dressing room and Madeley told him "I don't like you".

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Ontolly wrote:This. Shameful :shake1:

:cheers: :lol:

Seems madeley was the start of the batty, milner tradition. Respect is due.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Mr Reality wrote:https://twitter.com/squadnos/status/1021846544839069696?s=19

:salute:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

dublin white 69

Postby dublin white 69 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Johnny Giles on Paul Madeley.

Irish football legend John Giles has paid tribute to former Leeds United teammate Paul Madeley after he passed away at the age of 73.

Madeley spent his entire 17-year career with the West Yorkshire side, winning two First Division titles, the FA Cup, and the League Cup under manager Don Revie.

He also played 24 times for England during the 1970s.

Madeley, who mainly operated in defence or midfield but played in every position other than goalkeeper for Leeds, made more than 700 appearances for his hometown club.

He made his first-team debut in 1964, a season which ended with Leeds winning the old Second Division title, and went on to play a major role in the most successful era in the club's history.

During his Elland Road career, the Whites won the First Division in 1969 and 1974, as well as finishing runners-up five times.

They also won the 1968 League Cup, the 1972 FA Cup and were beaten in two European finals; the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1973 and the 1975 European Cup.

In 1992 Madeley had a benign brain tumour removed and in 2002 he survived a heart attack. Within a year he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. In 2011, along with 700 Leeds supporters, he attended a gala dinner to raise money for a statue of Revie.

Writing in The Herald today, Giles described Madeley as a player who excelled in any position he was selected in.

"He was a quiet lad, the kind of man who did his work, went home to his family and was happy with that. On a football pitch, he was hugely underestimated.

"He lived near me and gave me a lift to the club most days so I spent a lot of time in his company and counted him as a good friend.

"He had some terrible luck with illness and was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease very early in his life and not long after he gave up playing.

"If he was dealt an over-generous hand with the gift he was given to play football, life after the game was unkind.

"The great thing about Paul Madeley the footballer was that he made a virtue of his versatility and could play anywhere across the back and in midfield too.

"Many players shy away from the tag utility man but he just worked very hard at his game and played where he was picked without complaint or ego. He was part of the bedrock of Don Revie’s team.

"He was big and athletic and modest about his own talents. Unlike most utility players, who can get by in a few positions and excel in a few more, he could play well in them all.

"When he was in midfield, he made life easy for Billy Bremner and me but there was much more too him than that. He could play.

"Always quiet and not a man for handing out a slagging, he took any banter aimed at him well and if I managed to make him smile, that was better than a belly laugh from most of the Leeds squad.

"He’ll be missed and I’d like to offer my condolences to his family."
I might be green,but I ain't no cabbage

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:47 am

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:59 pm

Fuck. Poor kid.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:46 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Snow age at all

Good headline eric :cheers:

But that's shit news.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:33 am

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:38 pm

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:29 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Ve hav vays off making you die

Itzcold, So Cold.

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Sir Alex Fergusson

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 pm

portadown white wrote:Sir Alex Fergusson

:thumbl:

:fish:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:15 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Snow age at all

It's just achingly sad, this.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:50 am

Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Return to “The Square Ball”