Better Late Than Dead 2018 Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
OWETB

Re: Better Late Than Dead 2018 Thread

Postby OWETB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:16 am

“They both agreed there was little they could do but they are very, very annoyed,” erics daughters mate said, according to The Sun.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Loath to open my big fucking gob now, but Twatter saying Paul Madeley’s gone?

Can’t see anything official yet but RIP if it’s true.

First reference I think:

I am sorry to have to share the news that Paul Madeley has passed away, this has come from Paul Reaney's son Neil on Facebook. Absolutely sad news, RIP Paul, you can go keep Billy and Don company now #MOT

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Now reported by Phil Hay so must be legit I guess.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm

He never smoked or drank and he’s gone at 73, no age at all that.
RIP Paul, The Don will have a dossier ready for you explaining how it all works up there.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Was in Goole not so long ago and some random bloke shouted "Paul Madeley" at me. I looked at him a bit bemused, he said "Paul Madeley, he used to play for Leeds". All a bit random really. As I told that guy, I know the name but I'm not old enough to have seen him play. Sad news all the same.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Phil LUFC wrote: As I told that guy, I know the name but I'm not old enough to have seen him play. Sad news all the same.

It is sad news and it deserves better than your pathetic Goole story which was all about you :thumbd:

He played in every position for the Revie team. Except goalie. Every fucking position. He covered injury and suspension and there was always those. A fucking legend.

He owned a decorating shop in Pudsey and had his picture on the carrier bags. Wonder how much those would be today (they were certainly 10p quality). He ended up massive and sold up for what must have been millions.

Rest in peace :salute: :salute: :salute:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 pm

RIP that man, a top player by all accounts and in an era where loyalty and grit was still common place in football he stood out above the norm :salute:
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:41 pm

He only ever wanted to play for us, and that's what he did.
100% Leeds :salute:

RIP

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Sad news.

Excellent player and servant to the club.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Ontolly wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote: As I told that guy, I know the name but I'm not old enough to have seen him play. Sad news all the same.

It is sad news and it deserves better than your pathetic Goole story which was all about you :thumbd:

He played in every position for the Revie team. Except goalie. Every fucking position. He covered injury and suspension and there was always those. A fucking legend.

He owned a decorating shop in Pudsey and had his picture on the carrier bags. Wonder how much those would be today (they were certainly 10p quality). He ended up massive and sold up for what must have been millions.

:thumbl:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Ontolly wrote:

Well, that wasn't the intent, just happened to be recent and to spring to mind (as shit a story as it is). Of all the names in that team, his was the one who stood out to that guy. I'm sure there are many more for whom Madeley was that player, twas all I was getting at.

Rob

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... es-age-73/

Turned down the England captaincy ?!

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 am

Sad news :salute:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Was in Goole not so long ago and some random bloke shouted "Paul Madeley" at me. I looked at him a bit bemused, he said "Paul Madeley, he used to play for Leeds". All a bit random really. As I told that guy, I know the name but I'm not old enough to have seen him play. Sad news all the same.

Perhaps he thought you were him?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:35 am

Ontolly wrote:He owned a decorating shop in Pudsey and had his picture on the carrier bags. Wonder how much those would be today (they were certainly 10p quality). He ended up massive and sold up for what must have been millions.
:

27 million according to Google, which would be about 80 in todays money. Not bad for a lad from Beeston! Wouldnt happen these days would it. We'd have sold him to Bournemouth age 21.

RIP Paul.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:43 am

R.I.P. Rolls Royce.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:22 am

He also had a shop in chapel allerton, which my dad took me down to to get some paint when I was about 10. He was there and my old man had to ask some questions about the paint just so he could start a conversation about other things with him.

I jeard he was seriously ill nearly 2 years ago when a leeds supporting tradesman was doing something on our house. Naturally I added him to my list.

I can remember him as mr versatile as he played til the early 80s iirc always a class performance regardless. RIP Paul.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:48 am

Player. One of only a handful of yorkies & really the only out and out Loiner in the revie team, & (off the top of my head) the only properly local (to Beeston) lad to ever make it really big. A big loss.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:08 am

Radz managed a more or less appropriate tweet. Early drafts no doubt said something about leg biting/chasing jairzinho round in Mexico.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:44 am

Wasn't reaney a loiner too?
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Return to “The Square Ball”