One day 4 TOBY get into em Blunts CK

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
thestraw

Re: One day 4 TOBY get into em Blunts CK

Postby thestraw » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am

Regarding formations and the the upcoming fixtures ahead of us i really think now is the time to try and switch to a back 3 and mix things up a little - it requires a lot of work on the training pitch which between now and after the upcoming international break could be enough time for TC to get us set up differently.
#MOT #GAWA

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:36 am

On O'Kane. I've heard suggested that it might be worth testing Dallas in a central defensive role? Anita must also be worth considering? Agree that we haven't replaced what was the spine of the team last year - didn't have much choice with Wood and Bartley, massive mistake letting Green go, Bridcutt might be better than O'kane but neither should be irreplaceable with our budget. Replacing Bartley with Pennington/Cooper was a bit of a joke, especially after we pocketed 17M for Wood.

But it's early days. management have only been in the job for six months, just sad that this season looks like being a other missed opportunity.

We have to go up before 2019-20, cannot spend the whole of 2019 in the Championship, honestly, fuck that.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am

o'kane brings the ball forward, he's far more positive than bridcutt at moving into space, he is far better at making himself available for the ball to feet and also passes to feet. he's not a heavy tackler but a scrapper. i'd have him in the middle with vieira above any other combination every time.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:28 am

Quiffy wrote:o'kane brings the ball forward, he's far more positive than bridcutt at moving into space, he is far better at making himself available for the ball to feet and also passes to feet. he's not a heavy tackler but a scrapper. i'd have him in the middle with vieira above any other combination every time.

I fully agree. He can actually pass the ball. Vieira has to play too, although at the minute KP deserves his spot.

GK (both are shit)
Ayling, Pontus, Cooper (or Shaughnessy?)

Dallas, Vieira, Phillips, OKane, Alioski

Saiz, Lasogga (as we have no fucker else as a CF)
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 am

I reckon Dallas deserves a run in the team.
He adds much more than Roofe for me.
Dallas wide left and Alioski right.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am

Ponte wrote:
Quiffy wrote:o'kane brings the ball forward, he's far more positive than bridcutt at moving into space, he is far better at making himself available for the ball to feet and also passes to feet. he's not a heavy tackler but a scrapper. i'd have him in the middle with vieira above any other combination every time.

I fully agree. He can actually pass the ball. Vieira has to play too, although at the minute KP deserves his spot.

:D sort of relieved, it's hard to be positive about players after we've just been beaten and far easier to do a harry redknapp and say that 'those players aren't good enough for {insert latest club}.

o'kane looked a bit lost on friday simply cos sheff u moved the ball so quick in the middle, lots of one and two touch football with good movement. speed of passing is the one thing that is almost impossible to defend against, in my experience, and we don't have any midfielders good enough to deal defensively with it. it's the one thing we need to do better ourselves and going forward o'kane is far better at it than either bridcutt was or phillips is.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

easyone

Postby easyone » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:17 pm

As much as we miss Bartley and Green's footballing talents, I think we miss their leadership on the pitch more than anything. No-one seems to be taking charge out there when the going goes against us.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 pm

I quite like O'Kane but he is what he is and very much needs the right players around him (with more physical bite). When it's going well, he's a positive part of our better play, always wants the ball, usually looks up and usually finds a pass. Quite fond of a cutting through ball, which he tries too often for my liking (often when simpler options are available). There's a clear issue in that TC has drilled into them all to go backwards when in trouble then start again so he's frustratingly done that at times when a decent forward option appeared available (from the stands at least).

He's essentially Kilkenny Mk.II (and I've no desire to start debating whether he's an upgrade or not, no-one can compete with Mk.I's pointing ability).

Ideally we'd have a player who could do all that but also had at least one of the following in their favour:
Good set piece delivery
A leader
A goal threat from distance
An engine (box to box)
Strong in the tackle (ooh er)

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:33 pm

thestraw wrote: Green Bartley and Wood have NOT been adequately replaced and that is our big problem, coupled with no leader in the centre of the park.

its deeper, we have not had equal or better replacements for Byram Cook Taylor.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:49 pm

sunshine whites wrote:
thestraw wrote: Green Bartley and Wood have NOT been adequately replaced and that is our big problem, coupled with no leader in the centre of the park.

We could keep going on that line of thinking (McCormack, Howson, Gradel, Snodgrass, Delph), it's not healthy.

On the flip side, we have improved in other areas - Saiz the obvious one. Ayling is different to Byram but stamped some authority on RB last season.

The simple truth is we're still not shopping I the right price range to be able to tick all boxes. Even Saiz: Not proven in the championship; has a chequered history with self discipline and dedication.

As long as this approach continues the best we can realistically hope for is time to see the whole project come together. I wanted Monk to stay to see how we could kick on, now I want TC to stay and keep building so that our early season form is sustainable in future - that might mean a lower half finish this season but hopefully it still means a shot at top 6.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 pm

sunshine whites wrote:

I think Ayling has been an adequate replacement for Byram, if you don't include his current blip in form. [Mind you, Sam had at least one of them.] Certainly way better than whatever small sum he cost us.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 pm

I still think that picking the right players is the first step.....but 3 at the back really makes sense to help that goal.

GK
Penners, Jansson, shaughnessey
Dallas, Vieira, Anita, Saiz, Alioski
Lassoga, Pablo

Let Jansson be spare man, use Alioski pace.

Solid in the middle etc.

Get all the internationals on the field.

Get rid of the dead wood

O Kane
Phillips
Gomes
Cibicki
Sacks
Roofe

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Cannot sugar coat at the moment that's 5 defeats in 6 it worrying
Yes there have been a lot of positives in the overall start but wing backs are an achilles heel, we have good honest squad players with heart but are they going to improve? Without a solid CH pairing they have been exposed a bit recently.

presser at the moment TC & Pennington
TC: “Liam Cooper (dead leg) is out. Caleb Ekuban (foot) joined the group yesterday which is good.” (assume he means Ekuban
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (ankle) also injured for the visit of Derby.
TC: “We’re still in the position of the play offs. We are happy with that.” (Mmm WTF I'm not -worried as fk about our form and prospects not past performances 2 months ago.)
Barcardi & Phiilips banned will be out

Interesting comment by Pruttons - Pontus said he would address the disciplinary problems, and he has no bookings in his last 10 (?) games- But his form dipped, hes been dropped and we are poor defensively. maybe Pontus needs to unleash and be more aggressive, play his natural style but concentrate on avoiding the stupid bookings for dissent etc and accept, but limit, he may get the odd card for fouls.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:38 pm

thestraw wrote:I still dont see what OKane brings to the party myself - a passenger 80%+ of the time for me; cant tackle, cant shoot, his passes are short and do not make any impact, he is not a leader in the middle. He's just too 'nice' that doesnt have any real impact in any game.

My mental response to this was 'nah he's alright' and it made me remember writing a post back in 2014 about my long-running habit of thinking virtually everyone in a Leeds shirt is good just because they're wearing a Leeds shirt. This was before I started using my alter ego Mr Reality to articulate such things, obviously.

See you all in 2020 when I make broadly the same post again.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm

thestraw wrote:I still dont see what OKane brings to the party myself - a passenger 80%+ of the time for me; cant tackle, cant shoot, his passes are short and do not make any impact, he is not a leader in the middle. He's just too 'nice' that doesnt have any real impact in any game. Id have Viera and Philips in the there before him all day long, at least they put themselves about a bit. But we need a leader with experience in there - this division demands it. Like many in our first eleven - hes a squad player and i include alot of recent first teamers like Pennington, Cooper, Berardi, Longernan, Wieldwald, Roofe, Anita, Dallas - all squad players to step into the breach when we have injuries / suspensions and not good enough to be starting week in / week out for me. The squad needs more quality if we are progress any this year. What was blatantly obvious the last few weeks is how much we have missed the spine from last season - Green, Bartley, an in-form Jansson and Wood (one could even argue Bridcutt). Green Bartley and Wood have NOT been adequately replaced and that is our big problem, coupled with no leader in the centre of the park.

Fuck all is the answer. People got excited about O kane due to the record last season where he always seemed to be in a unbeaten side but with every performance that seems more luck than anything else.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Tommy wrote:
thestraw wrote:I still dont see what OKane brings to the party myself - a passenger 80%+ of the time for me; cant tackle, cant shoot, his passes are short and do not make any impact, he is not a leader in the middle. He's just too 'nice' that doesnt have any real impact in any game.

My mental response to this was 'nah he's alright' and it made me remember writing a post back in 2014 about my long-running habit of thinking virtually everyone in a Leeds shirt is good just because they're wearing a Leeds shirt. This was before I started using my alter ego Mr Reality to articulate such things, obviously.

The other end of the scale from always thinking players were good would be always thinking players are bad. But that's not my modus operandi.

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
Tommy wrote:

The other end of the scale from always thinking players were good would be always thinking players would are bad. But that's not my modus operandi.

I love it when you talk like you're an off-the-wall detective in a seventies cop show. I've started mentally adding 'bow-chika-bow-wow' to the end of your posts.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Whatever gets you through the day. :thumbl:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:38 am

:salute: 100% agree. Each time I see O'Kane I am more bemused as to why he did not play as much last year.

Return to “The Square Ball”