Women's football (and other sports).

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Mustafaster

Women's football (and other sports).

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 pm

No fuckin apologies for starting this thread so fuck off.
It's entertaining.

Watching the women's Euro and pretty impressed. Women's football is improving apace

Italy v Germany.
Skill levels higher than expected. Obviously slower and less strength, but very entertaining. Aerial game improving hugely. Good keepers. Tactically still weak due to parallel parking issues.

The women's teams oddly reflect the men's game.
Italy playing their outdated massed defence game.
Germany playing a high pressure attacking game.
Germany win 2-1.
England v Spain on Sunday.
Should be entertaining.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Re: Women's football (and other sports).

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:09 am

Aye, watched us t'other day and it was a bit dull, seeing as we were so much better than the Scots, but last night's game was good. Not surprised the Signorinas stayed put against the Frauleins, 'cause the latter were the class act, but I did like the Italian equaliser - hope to see Alioski/Wood do similar a few times this coming season. Liked Dallman and the German NO. 10 as players, and also enjoyed the torrid experience the Italian goalkeeper was going through - two massive, game altering fuck-ups, a few decent saves, some hastily swallowed tears... and a pretty face. What more could you want? Will deffo watch the England v Spain match.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:13 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Aye, watched us t'other day and it was a bit dull, seeing as we were so much better than the Scots, but last night's game was good. Not surprised the Signorinas stayed put against the Frauleins, 'cause the latter were the class act, but I did like the Italian equaliser - hope to see Alioski/Wood do similar a few times this coming season. Liked Dallman and the German NO. 10 as players, and also enjoyed the torrid experience the Italian goalkeeper was going through - two massive, game altering fuck-ups, a few decent saves, some hastily swallowed tears... and a pretty face. What more could you want? Will deffo watch the England v Spain match.

Aye, the Germans are a cycle ahead of everyone else in terms of fitness, strength and tactical awareness.
They'd give most non league teams a good game I reckon.
Their keeper made a tremendous save fro a free kick at the near post, very strong hands.

England should be too strong for Spain but it'll be a good match.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Dale White

Postby Dale White » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:44 pm

It's pretty good tbh, much more interesting now we have a decent side, womans footy is only going to grow, even purpose built stadiums for it now (man city for eg). n o fucking play acting either, well not much.
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Aye, watched us t'other day and it was a bit dull, seeing as we were so much better than the Scots, but last night's game was good. Not surprised the Signorinas stayed put against the Frauleins, 'cause the latter were the class act, but I did like the Italian equaliser - hope to see Alioski/Wood do similar a few times this coming season. Liked Dallman and the German NO. 10 as players, and also enjoyed the torrid experience the Italian goalkeeper was going through - two massive, game altering fuck-ups, a few decent saves, some hastily swallowed tears... and a pretty face. What more could you want? Will deffo watch the England v Spain match.

Aye, the Germans are a cycle ahead of everyone else in terms of fitness, strength and tactical awareness.
They'd give most non league teams a good game I reckon.
Their keeper made a tremendous save fro a free kick at the near post, very strong hands.

England should be too strong for Spain but it'll be a good match.

Interested to see how our supposedly fitter Lionesses stand up to them, if they meet.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Enjoying this one, England should be 2 up. Bloody officials.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Enjoying this one, England should be 2 up. Bloody officials.

wet t-shirt competition :D
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Enjoying this one, England should be 2 up. Bloody officials.

wet t-shirt competition :D

:mrgreen: I was trying to rise above such comments but... It's a shame England aren't in the white kit.

Spain have dominated, Millie Bright (CB) probably England's most involved player (commentary mentions at least). Need to improve 2nd half. That disallowed goal looking like it could be costly by the end of this.

LukeC

Postby LukeC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Watching the England v Spain game. Decent standard, womens football has come a long, long way in the last few years.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:52 pm

LukeC wrote:Watching the England v Spain game. Decent standard, womens football has come a long, long way in the last few years.

Yep, it's getting better.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 pm

That penalty incident was a bit odd. Wasn't intentional but clear advantage gained, which isn't the rule but probably should be. A miss kick onto your own arm is no different to an air kick with the same end result really but seems to be what convinced the ref to change her mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:14 pm

is it only women's refs that are allowed to change their mind? was a weird one that.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Son of Leeds

Postby Son of Leeds » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Gritty England grind out a victory against a more accomplished Spanish team in pouring rain. Spaniards lack power in final thirds, English power-houses profit. Plus ca change ....
Leeds United is ruining my life.

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:22 pm

England Women winning the cricket World Cup today was an absolutely great match. India looked like they were cruising for victory before Anya Shrubsole came back on to bowl and blew them away.

Son of Leeds

Postby Son of Leeds » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 am

I suppose we all watched the Clare Balding prog on the FA's banning of women's football in 1952. It was unsurprisingly and forgivably a somewhat impassioned outburst against the evil FA, and didn't point out how much of the support was for charitable reasons, and that it flourished in the absence of the men's game. Nevertheless, it's a sobering thought that 52,000 turned up at Goodison to watch a game of woman's footie. There was a brief moment when football in this country could have been mainly a woman's sport, as it is now in the States.

I like it. It's a bit like watching women's tennis. The slower pace can actually make it a better spectacle. The ball seems to stay on the pitch longer. If you timed the % of ball in/out of play in both games I reckon you get a fair bit more actually footie in the women's game. Also, you can detect just a bit of its amateur roots: if that reverse penalty decision had been made in a game between Liverpool and the Evil Empire, can you imagine?
Leeds United is ruining my life.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:32 am

portadown white wrote:England Women winning the cricket World Cup today was an absolutely great match. India looked like they were cruising for victory before Anya Shrubsole came back on to bowl and blew them away.

England's win was aided and abetted by some truly criminal batting at 191 for 3.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 am

Son of Leeds wrote:Gritty England grind out a victory against a more accomplished Spanish team in pouring rain. Spaniards lack power in final thirds, English power-houses profit. Plus ca change ....

That display very much reminded me of our 2 nil win against Reading at home last December. Have all the ball you want Fancy Dan's and we'll hit you on the counter. England defended the last third very well and Spain came up wanting. Don't think the England keeper had a shot to save.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:14 am

Quiffy wrote:is it only women's refs that are allowed to change their mind? was a weird one that.

That question belongs in the wives thread

(and the answer is yes....)

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:19 am

Tycipa wrote:
Son of Leeds wrote:Gritty England grind out a victory against a more accomplished Spanish team in pouring rain. Spaniards lack power in final thirds, English power-houses profit. Plus ca change ....

That display very much reminded me of our 2 nil win against Reading at home last December. Have all the ball you want Fancy Dan's and we'll hit you on the counter. England defended the last third very well and Spain came up wanting. Don't think the England keeper had a shot to save.

I was going to post on Twitter something along the lines of Spain are the Reading of women's international football. But I was too busy shouting at the telly that England are the England of women's international football as they lumped another hopeful ball upfield in sheer panic and lack of game plan.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Sat in Madrid airport, bored to tears waiting for the red-eye... but there's a big fuck off screen in the bar showing the Germany quarter final.
Hoorah!
But there's Noah's Fludde falling in Holland and the start is delayed, looks like it might be called off.
Booooo!

Return to “The Square Ball”