Women's football (and other sports).

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Women's football (and other sports).

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Some big moments went wrongly, learnings onboarded we expect progressings :thumbl:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 pm

First womans match I've watched since a game at Tyersal in the early 70s. I suppose it's wrong to say that I was grading the players along the lines of would I like to fuck them but then again I am a throwback from a bygone age.

Anyway the Dutch no 14 and the lineswoman with the platts were the winners for me :thumbl:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:10 pm

I've not watched many women's games but I enjoyed. I was particularly impressed with the physical attitude with some of the women (both sides) making strong challenges and sticking their head into challenges.

Shame England lost but I'm a convert.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:19 am

Ontolly wrote:First womans match I've watched since a game at Tyersal in the early 70s. I suppose it's wrong to say that I was grading the players along the lines of would I like to fuck them but then again I am a throwback from a bygone age.

Anyway the Dutch no 14 and the lineswoman with the platts were the winners for me :thumbl:

This. Oh and also women's footy is really really poor. Sorry but let's not be PC for the sake, you all know it's true

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Women's football (and other sports).

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:England into the semis.

Just seen that the final kicks off half an hour before our game on Sunday. If we get through, that might make it a bit of an arse to get LUFC shown in the pub :(

Doesn't look like it'll be a problem.

Sorry to say but thank fuck for that. Side before milf. Or something.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:13 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:
Ontolly wrote:First womans match I've watched since a game at Tyersal in the early 70s. I suppose it's wrong to say that I was grading the players along the lines of would I like to fuck them but then again I am a throwback from a bygone age.

This. Oh and also women's footy is really really poor. Sorry but let's not be PC for the sake, you all know it's true

Gotta disagree with that.
Obviously women's sport can never have the physical strength and speed of men's. Doesn't matter which sport, footie, tennis, golf ... The men's game is always going to be faster and stronger.
Federer is better than Williams. Doesn't mean Williams is shit.
There's a lot more to sport than speed and strength.
Last night's game was a cracker. Much more enjoyable than most borefests in the men's game.
Both teams up for it, prepared to get hurt if necessary, skill levels not up to Messi levels, but better than some Leeds players. Good tactical awareness.
That Dutch first goal was something we'd all be wanking over if Leeds had scored it.
Started out down the left, midfielder switched the play with a glorious 30 yard crossfield pass, winger kills it stone dead with first touch, looks up, swings in a perfect cross to the back post, striker meets it clean as a whistle and heads it downwards back where it came from.
4 touches.
Yeah... Shit.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 am

Mustafaster wrote:
Oheddieeddie wrote:

Gotta disagree with that.
Obviously women's sport can never have the physical strength and speed of men's. Doesn't matter which sport, footie, tennis, golf ... The men's game is always going to be faster and stronger.
Federer is better than Williams. Doesn't mean Williams is shit.
There's a lot more to sport than speed and strength.
Last night's game was a cracker. Much more enjoyable than most borefests in the men's game.
Both teams up for it, prepared to get hurt if necessary, skill levels not up to Messi levels, but better than some Leeds players. Good tactical awareness.
That Dutch first goal was something we'd all be wanking over if Leeds had scored it.
Started out down the left, midfielder switched the play with a glorious 30 yard crossfield pass, winger kills it stone dead with first touch, looks up, swings in a perfect cross to the back post, striker meets it clean as a whistle and heads it downwards back where it came from.
4 touches.
Yeah... Shit.

Indeed, it's come a long way and is constantly improving. Even at a professional level, the women's game doesn't have the funding and therefore facility/coaching access of... most league one clubs at best? The pool of available players is much smaller and there's no doubt still significant room for improvement but it's not that poor. Gone are the days when the keepers couldn't catch, couldn't dive and were afraid to get hurt; when outfield players would refuse to head a ball and would pull out of challenges.

I like it, quite happy to watch the Lionesses on TV, still making the effort to watch Leeds Ladies home games (which is a very different level but is to be expected given it's basically Sunday league).

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 am

For those who didn't see it, Holland's first goal.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 am

aye, very good goal. the gender gap in standards is obviously far bigger than in say tennis, befitting i suppose the relative male/female participation rates in the two games, but the very top level such as this is certainly no joke, england's ladies team are very watchable and fwiw [not much at all] would by my reckoning beat most men's sunday league teams without too much difficulty.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:22 am

the flying pig wrote:aye, very good goal. the gender gap in standards is obviously far bigger than in say tennis, befitting i suppose the relative male/female participation rates in the two games, but the very top level such as this is certainly no joke, england's ladies team are very watchable and fwiw [not much at all] would by my reckoning beat most men's sunday league teams without too much difficulty.

Interesting point of debate what level the top women's teams are at versus the men's game.
I think they'd hammer any Sunday league team out of sight. Watching it last night and was thinking I don't think I would have got in that side in my best days, and I played at a decent level in England and Spain, well above Sunday league.

I'd put it at tier 5 or 6.
The skill levels and tactical awareness are pretty high now and would compensate for the difference in speed and strength.
In fact speed might not be such an issue, the women are pretty nippy these days.
Obviously they'd lose any aerial challenge and the keepers would struggle against much bigger and stronger forwards.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 am

Mustafaster wrote:Obviously they'd lose any aerial challenge and the keepers would struggle against much bigger and stronger forwards.

For this reason it's a tough discussion and a reason any reasonably well organised mens team would be able to win. Might depend on the level of protection afforded by the ref. Tactically and technically I don't disagree with anything you said but as someone said about Phillips on another thread today, there's a lot to be said for the impact of just kicking people. How quick would Lucy Bronze be and how willing to get forward would she be if she's just been flattened by you're average Sunday League no nonsense "hard man".

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:58 am

Mustafaster wrote:
the flying pig wrote:aye, very good goal. the gender gap in standards is obviously far bigger than in say tennis, befitting i suppose the relative male/female participation rates in the two games, but the very top level such as this is certainly no joke, england's ladies team are very watchable and fwiw [not much at all] would by my reckoning beat most men's sunday league teams without too much difficulty.

Interesting point of debate what level the top women's teams are at versus the men's game.
I think they'd hammer any Sunday league team out of sight. Watching it last night and was thinking I don't think I would have got in that side in my best days, and I played at a decent level in England and Spain, well above Sunday league.

I'd put it at tier 5 or 6.
The skill levels and tactical awareness are pretty high now and would compensate for the difference in speed and strength.
In fact speed might not be such an issue, the women are pretty nippy these days.
Obviously they'd lose any aerial challenge and the keepers would struggle against much bigger and stronger forwards.

nah, tier five [conference] would kill them, would score a goal every few minutes kind of thing, half the teams are full time and all the players are unfathomably good by 'man in the street' standards.

as for their precise level, i dunno, saturday football is a bit of an unknown to me, i was never nearly good enough to play it. my brother played in the harrogate leagues, which are feeders to the west yorkshire league, pretty low down the pyramid, tier 15-ish, and at his best he'd imo have got into the england ladies' team, though he's probably a bad example since he's a really hefty 6'5", they'd be able to use him for 'special teams' only... a team made up of eleven of him would certainly lose to them and i suppose his old team would do too given the huge disparity in fitness & probably skill. it's a difficult thought experiment really, to guesstimate how say a tier 10 team would do against women when you've never seen it.

Rambo the randy pig

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Just like their male counterparts the team can't get to the last stages of the tournament. Got to say I enjoyed watching more so than the England men's team to whom I'm a bit apathetic - as are many of us hence the other thread about England football.

Next up is the women's rugby world cup where we go in as defending champions & presumably tournament favourites. Looking forward to this too as the England girls play some cracking rugby.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Rambo the randy pig wrote:Just like their male counterparts the team can't get to the last stages of the tournament. Got to say I enjoyed watching more so than the England men's team to whom I'm a bit apathetic - as are many of us hence the other thread about England football.

Next up is the women's rugby world cup where we go in as defending champions & presumably tournament favourites. Looking forward to this too as the England girls play some cracking rugby.

I'd be delighted to see the men get to the semis

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Shit sport, great city: Illadelphia, take a bow.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”