The State of US/World politics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: The State of US/World politics

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 07, 2020 12:06 pm

While they finish their breakfast I'll suggest this is what happens when cheerleaders* grow up.

*After all, the doyennes of the political BJ
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Fri May 08, 2020 1:11 am

Mustafaster wrote:From time to time I check out the USA media coverage of Trump and how they are reacting to the pandemic as a country.
Obviously amazed at the general levels of stupidity of so many of our ex-colonial cousins, goes without saying, but there's stupid everywhere to be fair. They certainly don't hold a monopoly on stupid, but American stupids tend to shout louder than others.

Anyway ...

I have recently started to notice the prevalence of what can only be described as Stepford Wives on American telly and in the White House communications cohort.
They're all made with the same mould. Slim, blonde, white, early middle age, conventionally attractive, well-turned-out, with the politics of Atilla the Hun.
Any of our American friends care to enlighten us on why this is the case?

Because stupid people like tits and ass and don't care what comes out of the mouth.
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sun May 10, 2020 6:25 am

Trump's anti-China rhetoric is getting worse by the day as he attempts to shift the media focus away from his own handling of the covid crisis. He claims the US has been attacked, that it is worse than both Pearl Harbour and 9/11, and that there will be consequences.

I doubt that even he is going to start a conventional war with China, he-d probably like to if he thought it would increase his chances or reelection, but even his worst hawks know they couldn't win a war. So what short term measures can he take? Unemployment is headed towards 15%, the National debt has increased by 3 trillion, they owe over a trillion to China and their global influence has diminished massively since Trump took power, with traditional partners being alienated and insulted, and China gaining and stronger foothold in Africa.

So how does he turn this crisis in his favour? Cancel the 1.1 Trillion debt to China? What would the consequences be? Any ideas?

jackos

Postby jackos » Sun May 10, 2020 6:35 am

Politicos says they can't feasibly cancel their debt to China, even if its likely to have been raised as a option. What other options might he have?

FacebookTwitterEmailPrint
Why we can't 'cancel' U.S. debt held by China
By BEN WHITE and AUBREE ELIZA WEAVER 05/01/2020 08:00 AM EDT
Presented by H&R Block

QUICK FIX
Why we can’t “cancel” U.S. debt held by China — The Washington Post ran a story suggesting that President Donald Trump and some of his advisers want to retaliate against China over claims the Chinese withheld critical information about Covid-19. The story included this completely insane threat: “Some administration officials have also discussed having the United States cancel part of its debt obligations to China, two people with knowledge of internal conversations said.”

It should go without saying — but we suppose it has to be said — that any such move would essentially explode global financial markets. The Chinese own around $1 trillion in U.S. Treasury securities. They along with the Japanese and many other nations fund our debt and deficits. U.S. Treasury bills and the dollar underpin global financial markets. And the full faith and credit of the U.S. government to meet all its debt obligations is the main reason this is possible.

Any move to “cancel” debt held by China — i.e. default on it — would destroy the full faith and credit of the U.S., send U.S. interest rates soaring and could ignite a global financial catastrophe. So when MM asked top White House economic officials about the suggestion, they were lightning fast to deny it, replying within moments, which as any reporter knows is not always the case.

Senior adviser Kevin Hassett texted: “False story. We would never even entertain a default on any U.S. debt.”

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 10, 2020 7:16 am

Toys out of the pram isn't it? His bosses wouldn't let him. He'd get half an ounce of lead-based covid medicine between the eyes on his next walkabout.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sun May 10, 2020 8:07 am

Each morning I check the news and hope the headline is that he’s tested positive, would not wish it on any other living person, but I do hope he gets a dose.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 16, 2020 3:55 pm

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Blackwhite wrote:This might be amusing.

We’ve reached a state of affairs where Spectre are the real heroes.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 19, 2020 5:02 pm

End of a short thread.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed May 20, 2020 7:29 am

I've been listening to a podcast called Blowback about the Iraq War on Stitcher Premium. When it's on the free feed I will post it here. Really good listen.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed May 20, 2020 5:22 pm

I guess I assumed I might have adequately priced in basic rank corruption into the functioning of American domestic politics.

And then I click and read a story like this, and realise I have only the smallest idea of how deep that cess really is.

All those women, all those years, all that pointless pain and emotional trauma of getting to license their own lives, and for what. Just grubby cash.

Was gonna absolute cunt this one but not for me to say. Our resident double Xers can vote on that.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Biden continuing to be the sensible, moderate candidate everyone can get behind here:

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed May 27, 2020 8:04 am

Absolutely loving Trumps meltdown after being fact checked by Twitter for the first time

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Wed May 27, 2020 9:13 am

jackos wrote:Absolutely loving Trumps meltdown after being fact checked by Twitter for the first time

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I knew it was coming ... and I still can’t believe this asshole is in charge.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed May 27, 2020 12:06 pm

Terre Harte II wrote:I knew it was coming ... and I still can’t believe this asshole is in charge.

He's threatening to close them down now .. This will end well.. Feels like things could get extremely nasty if polls look back for him during the run up to November. Pushing hard to shift the focus away from the pandemic

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Thu May 28, 2020 2:37 am

It cracks me up they are calling him out for lying - and then he lies about his free speech rights being violated.
Right here he was clearly exercising his free speech in spite of how much pain and distress it caused. So no violation of his rights.
Of course, what he has not had to deal with so publicly before is that he is being called to account for telling lies. :lol:

If only this would have happened before - I forget the exact stats - but failed fact-checking 2000 times in first 400 days in office, and then i think it rose to 10,000 in 800 days.
Now who knows how many of those were telling the same lie enough times for people to think - you know he seems very sure about that. :roll:
Just ask them how sure he was that Obama was a foreigner and how much evidence he produced.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu May 28, 2020 6:56 am

I guess it doesn't matter what he does or says for the 30% of, I guess, mainly white conservatives who will vote for him whatever he does or says. That group strike me as being more hypocritical than Trump. He is a mirror upon themselves, they refuse to believe anything bad about Trump because it would force them to admit they are no better. They are very loud and very large minority, but they are a minority, and Biden does not need those bigots to win the election. He needs to win over the regular American's who think Trump has been good for America and that he has done a fantastic job with them economy. I think Trump has already lost a lot of those due to the his catastrophic management of the pandemic, Biden needs to keep his head together and nudge him other the edge.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 am

Any of our US posters concerned that with Trump being so utterly unhinged, if he loses the election he won’t step down without a fight or pushing his support towards violence?
HM Collector Of Parcels

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Any of our US posters concerned that with Trump being so utterly unhinged, if he loses the election he won’t step down without a fight or pushing his support towards violence?

I'm concerned about pretty much every worst-case scenario you can imagine.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu May 28, 2020 10:10 am

Terre Harte II wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Any of our US posters concerned that with Trump being so utterly unhinged, if he loses the election he won’t step down without a fight or pushing his support towards violence?

I'm concerned about pretty much every worst-case scenario you can imagine.

Does not seem too far fetched to believe he will do everything in his power to postpone or cancel the election if the numbers are not in his favour. The simple fact that the possibility is being discussed openly is worrying enough. He's already hinted that he should be allowed to stay on beyond 8 years ..

Therefore this from the beeb is interesting

Could President Trump postpone the election?
A total of 15 states have delayed their presidential primaries at this point, with most pushing them back until at least June. That presents the pressing question of whether the presidential election in November itself could be delayed.

Under a law dating back to 1845, the US presidential election is slated for the Tuesday after the first Monday of November every four years - 3 November in 2020. It would take an act of Congress - approved by majorities in the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives and the Republican-controlled Senate - to change that.

The prospect of a bipartisan legislative consensus signing off on any delay is unlikely in the extreme.

What's more, even if the voting day were changed, the US Constitution mandates that a presidential administration only last four years. In other words, Donald Trump's first term will expire at noon on 20 January, 2021, one way or another.

He might get another four years if he's re-elected. He could be replaced by Democrat Joe Biden if he's defeated. But the clock is ticking down, and a postponed vote won't stop it.

What happens if the election is delayed?

If there hasn't been an election before the scheduled inauguration day, the presidential line of succession kicks in. Second up is Vice-President Mike Pence, and given that his term in office also ends on that day, he's in the same boat as the president.

Next in line is the Speaker of the House - currently Democrat Nancy Pelosi - but her two-year term is up at the end of December. The senior-most official eligible for the presidency in such a doomsday scenario would be 86-year-old Republican Chuck Grassley of Iowa, the president pro tem of the Senate. That's assuming Republicans still control the Senate after a third of its 100 seats are vacated because of their own term expirations.

All in all, this is much more in the realm of political suspense novels than political reality.

Return to “The Square Ball”