The Treatment Table - Injury Injuries Knocks Sprains Strains

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Billy Casper

Re: The Treatment Table - Injury Injuries Knocks Sprains Strains

Postby Billy Casper » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Thanks for the thorough research into the realms of the unknown, much appreciated
No Skuche ala Gats

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 pm

Wood's hammy twang ruling him out for a couple of weeks then.

Tommy

The Treatment Table - Injury Injuries Knocks Sprains Strains

Postby Tommy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:17 pm

I think I posted on here about the Leicester City chap who told me pre-season that Wood was a walking crock and they couldn't believe they'd had the good fortune to get money for him. Starting to worry that it was true.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:39 pm

He has form on the hamstring front I know he missed games for Leicester with this too, and speaking from a podiatry perspective we see people over and over with recurrent hamstring strains [usually biceps femoris]. This is simply because of the extensibility of the hamstring [if this] is not reinstated after injury then it is inadequate, and given that the hamstrings oppose the quads and have a similar relationship with the glutes which are some of the strongest/largest muscles in the body its easy to understand how they could give way especially if they are underdeveloped in comparison.

In the case of glutes, many people actually have a large muscle group but inadequate strength, and thus the hamstrings are recruited causing unnatural strain to the area too. Either way its the terminal swing phase of gait, IE just before the foot makes contact where the stresses are highest as the hamstring absorbs the energy of a limb that has accelerated but is now trying to decelerate whist the muscle lengthens in order to accept the whole weight of the body which is magnified up 7 times by running and also the concurrent ground reaction force which is equal and opposite. Add to this that a footballer may kick a ball several times during a match and whilst running places a toll primarily on the biceps femoris (hamstring] muscle it also affects the semitendinosis [hamstring muscle], and kicking can damage the fibers of this muscle because the hip is flexed whilst the knee extends placing massive strain on the semitendinosis which is therefore at the maximal extension it can reach, being placed there with the huge force of powerful kicking.

As Cellino sacks the backroom staff one by one, you worry that the rehab may suffer and the wrong exercises [eg progressive excessivestretching] can actually seem to be helping but make the situation worse by encouraging the formation of thick scar tissue that is bound in the muscle making it weak as neogenesis of muscle tissue can either not take place, or penetrate the area leaving a weak spot that is susceptible to future damage/injury.

Interestingly giving crutches means that yes you take the weight off the injured leg which is desirable but holding the knee in a flexed position for any length of time so that the foot is off the ground puts the hamstring's damaged tissue under contractile load which is exactly what you need to avoid.

Thanks Chris. Good luck :-}

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:56 pm

:salute: thanks, I learned a lot there.

Mainly that that's that for Wood, but some good stuff besides. Cheers.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:28 pm

Oee, beat me to it.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Ponte wrote:Oee, beat me to it.

:mrgreen: Aye, was on the tip of my tongue too.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Biscuitus Leggistensis. As we [not] doctors say.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:56 am

"As Cellino sacks the backroom staff one by one"

Is he doing that - who's been sacked recently? I know Harvey and the other lad went but didn't we quickly replace Harvey with an Ex LUFC physio and he was going to build a new team.

EDIT:
"WANDERERS first-team head physio Steve Megson is set to quit the club and join Championship rivals Leeds United.

Megson joined the Whites from Leeds in June 2013 after six years in their medical department but is now returning to Elland Road to take up the post of head physio.

Working with Mark Leather and his medical team at Wanderers, Megson has been a key part of Neil Lennon's staff – treating injured players like Zach Clough and Max Clayton as well as helping prepare the first-team for matches.

Prior to joining Wanderers Megson worked full-time with the medical team at Leeds as a first-team physiotherapist and Head of Sports Science and Medicine for the club’s academy.

He will return to West Yorkshire before Christmas to replace outgoing physio Harvey Sharman who is moving to join the staff at US baseball team The Washington Nationals next month."

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:32 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
Ponte wrote:Oee, beat me to it.

:mrgreen: Aye, was on the tip of my tongue too.

I think what he said is you just want to get up and run it off. Be right enough.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:35 am

Bad news

I'm afraid Hay has confirmed that Ideguchi is out until spring

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Bad news

I'm afraid Hay has confirmed that Ideguchi is out until spring

The shit European leagues must be gutted

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Speaking of footballers unlikely to be featuring for Leeds Utd any time soon, I've been nursing a foot injury for about seven weeks now. Blocked an innocuous seeming shot in my Tuesday night game and had to play the remaining forty minutes in goal after a couple of stupid attempts to 'run it off' (increasingly convinced that never ever works once you get to 30+). I kept assuming it would get better but it just hasn't. I finally went for an X-ray after a few people suggested it could be a metatarsal injury but there didn't appear to be any sign of bone damage. I assume then it must be muscular but I'd have thought that wouldn't still be hurting after so much time. Given that I was playing on Tuesday, Friday and Sundays I feel like I've missed an eternity of football. The prospect of this being a reoccurring injury is extremely daunting, especially since I sort of just assumed I'd still be playing over the next decade or so. I did my hamstring last year and that was an equal amount of time on the sidelines but at least that was something tangible. :pale:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Rambo the randy pig

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Tommy wrote:Speaking of footballers unlikely to be featuring for Leeds Utd any time soon, I've been nursing a foot injury for about seven weeks now. Blocked an innocuous seeming shot in my Tuesday night game and had to play the remaining forty minutes in goal after a couple of stupid attempts to 'run it off' (increasingly convinced that never ever works once you get to 30+). I kept assuming it would get better but it just hasn't. I finally went for an X-ray after a few people suggested it could be a metatarsal injury but there didn't appear to be any sign of bone damage. I assume then it must be muscular but I'd have thought that wouldn't still be hurting after so much time. Given that I was playing on Tuesday, Friday and Sundays I feel like I've missed an eternity of football. The prospect of this being a reoccurring injury is extremely daunting, especially since I sort of just assumed I'd still be playing over the next decade or so. I did my hamstring last year and that was an equal amount of time on the sidelines but at least that was something tangible. :pale:

Tricky buggers the foot ligaments. Last time I sprained one took 6 months & I still wear a brace on left for training to.stop it turning over.
You have my sympathy especially since I did my right foot last night.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:37 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Here you go Tommy

Curious as to why the JPMC internet filter considers that page to be naughty. :scratch:

Actually the Tuesday night match is already very much a 'masters' level match, including a couple of people in the their 60s and one chap who recently turned 70. Given that was the match in which I received my injury, I'd no doubt find a way to injure myself at walking pace. The problem with putting so much emphasis on physical activity as mental health and overall wellbeing panacea is during the increasingly regular injuries you inevitably incur as you get older, it's hard not to get down during enforced absences. Fuck knows what it must be like for pro but it's no small wonder some of them go off the rails.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Rambo the randy pig wrote:Tricky buggers the foot ligaments. Last time I sprained one took 6 months & I still wear a brace on left for training to.stop it turning over.

Oof, this is exactly the sort of injury that worries me. Pretty much the last facet of my game is that I won't shy away from a tackle and if that's gone, well...

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 pm

i watched the england-sweden WC match at a friend's house. our kids mostly played in the back garden & seemed to be getting a bit restless during the first half, so at HT i went out to play with them, me as goalie, them taking pot shots at me. at one point a five year old boy [a fairly athletic one but, still] blasted a shot from point blank range, it over-extended one of the fingers on my left hand, and to this day [7 july 2018 was 101 days ago] i've got slightly less flexibility & grip strength in that hand/it hurts if i try to flatten my fingers.

he's a cruel man, father time.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Seems like the trick is to not play football with anyone who is very young or very old.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:36 am

Return to “The Square Ball”