The World, the Universe and everything...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Vampire

Re: The World, the Universe and everything...

Postby Vampire » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 pm

welshwhite wrote:
Vampire wrote:
Not so, Rhys.

Well, that's fair enough, B. Some good things in amongst that lot.

What about Culture, Brett. Maybe I might have missed one or two things but 'Men at Work' and 'Rolf Harris' is a poor return wouldn't you say?

If you’re talking about music, I’m sure DL can enlighten you on the Melburnian Jazz/soul scene. He really vibes that stuff and says it’s well lit.

As for the plebs, I’m sure there’s something on here you’ll like - albeit I doubt you’ll put any of them on a pedestal as high as your idol Phil Collins.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 pm

Vampire wrote:
welshwhite wrote:
Vampire wrote:
Not so, Rhys.

Well, that's fair enough, B. Some good things in amongst that lot.

What about Culture, Brett. Maybe I might have missed one or two things but 'Men at Work' and 'Rolf Harris' is a poor return wouldn't you say?

If you’re talking about music, I’m sure DL can enlighten you on the Melburnian Jazz/soul scene. He really vibes that stuff and says it’s well lit.

As for the plebs, I’m sure there’s something on here you’ll like - albeit I doubt you’ll put any of them on a pedestal as high as your idol Phil Collins.

Had to stop reading that link after looking at the first photo. Angus Young's family are from Tenby in West Wales, he moved to Oz as a little nipper.

I once had a few drinks with Angus backstage in Knebworth, we spoke fluent Welsh to each other for about half hour :thumbl:

I'll not read any more just in case Shirly Bassey is also included on your list of Aussie talent.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Fuck me, Rhys, you’re getting a bit confrontational on here these days. Yesterday telling Yeboah he had egg on his face (without capitalising it), now having a few digs at God’s Own Country and getting egg on your own.

You should take a leaf out of my book.
8)
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

London_White

Postby London_White » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:01 pm

Nick Cave and all his works (except maybe Grinderman)
Don't need a list, he's enough

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:21 pm

London_White wrote:Nick Cave and all his works (except maybe Grinderman)
Don't need a list, he's enough

Reminds me of that Spitting Image song ‘I’ve Never Met A Nice South African’ and the closing line, ‘except for Breyten Breytenbach, but he emigrated to Paris’.

You can only allow Nick Cave because he came here and learned to be less Australian (I don’t mind Grinderman btw)
HM Collector Of Parcels

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:52 pm

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:09 pm

OWETB wrote:How do you think?

I admire the way that moob ridden James clearly ignored Patrick Stewart's advice when deciding what picture to put up.
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Interesting.
Why do people make spelling mistakes?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:39 pm

Mustafaster wrote:

Interesting.
Why do people make spelling mistakes?

Years ago I worked with an Iraqi fella who was obviously bi-lingual and I asked him what language he thought in, he couldn't answer and I thought he was a thick cunt for not knowing. After reading that I think he must have thought in pictures and probably thought I was a thick cunt for asking.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Always assumed my inner voice was just Mrs O.
HM Collector Of Parcels

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:31 am

Not something I had thought about, personally I have an internal monologue and had never imagined other people thought in a different way
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:06 am

Have never given it a thought before.
But I assume that if i am sitting here wondering whether i have an inner voice, then that is my inner voice that i am 'hearing'.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:26 am

As discussed in Another Place, this is a basic foundation for (the pseudo-scientific) NLP 'therapy'. The idea that we think* in one of three ways - visual (in pictures), auditory (sentences) or kinaesthetic (emotions) - gives the therapist a best route to persuading the subject, by reflecting their preferred language. Questions like 'do you see what I mean [by my suggestion]?', 'does that [suggestion] make sense?' and 'how does that feel [as a suggestion]?' can be used to make the subject feel more comfortable in answering, and so (the theory goes) to accepting the suggestion. It's basic hypnosis, really. (See also Derren Brown.)

* Very few of us think unilaterally in one of the three ways. More often, its a mix, but with a preference for one or other.
I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:24 am

Devi wrote:As discussed in Another Place, this is a basic foundation for (the pseudo-scientific) NLP 'therapy'. The idea that we think* in one of three ways - visual (in pictures), auditory (sentences) or kinaesthetic (emotions) - gives the therapist a best route to persuading the subject, by reflecting their preferred language. Questions like 'do you see what I mean [by my suggestion]?', 'does that [suggestion] make sense?' and 'how does that feel [as a suggestion]?' can be used to make the subject feel more comfortable in answering, and so (the theory goes) to accepting the suggestion. It's basic hypnosis, really. (See also Derren Brown.)

* Very few of us think unilaterally in one of the three ways. More often, its a mix, but with a preference for one or other.

Yes, Devi. I see that now. You are very wise. I will do anything you say. Thank you, Master.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:25 am

:mrgreen:
I like it. What is it?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:09 pm

makes me wonder about short term memory. as an internal monologuer if i'm given a set of instruction i repeat them to myself to try and etch them into my mind, i would imagine the non-internal monologuers have a better more efficient method, akin to them stupid memory aid things which never work for me, where you remember a purple dog sitting under a lampost instead of the 3 of hearts.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

FER

Postby FER » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Quiffy wrote:makes me wonder about short term memory. as an internal monologuer if i'm given a set of instruction i repeat them to myself to try and etch them into my mind, i would imagine the non-internal monologuers have a better more efficient method, akin to them stupid memory aid things which never work for me, where you remember a purple dog sitting under a lampost instead of the 3 of hearts.

I don't want to get anyone annoyed by straying slightly o/t :lol: , but those memory aid things don't work for me either. Load of old bollocks.

Taught myself the phonetic alphabet when I was a young 'un, by repetition. Stuck ever since. I find that writing something down helps me to remember it too, especially at work.

i also internally monologue'd this post before I typed it up.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:16 pm

I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:06 pm

ka-BOOM! Contains arXiv link to the paper.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”