The World, the Universe and everything...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: The World, the Universe and everything...

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Yeah I remember that summer, and the pretty hot one that followed for jubilee year. Rocket lollies and paddling pools, at first at least.

Vaguely remember the standpipes but I was fuck all use as a water carrier at 5, so went infrequently.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

My grandad was from Leeds

Postby My grandad was from Leeds » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Don't remember any water problems but I did have an abscess that summer.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:34 pm

My grandad was from Leeds wrote:Don't remember any water problems but I did have an abscess that summer.

I remember it well (10 years old), I was just telling some of the younger ones in work about it. Yeah intermediate turn offs, water tanks and standpipes. But it was one of the best summers I have ever had. Not a mobile, video game in sight. Just football and cricket out in the back fields for 8 weeks.
Andymac

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:I remember it well (10 years old), I was just telling some of the younger ones in work about it. Yeah intermediate turn offs, water tanks and standpipes. But it was one of the best summers I have ever had. Not a mobile, video game in sight. Just football and cricket out in the back fields for 8 weeks.

Went on my first foreign holiday because our kid was rowing for England in Austria: ten days in June. Fucking weird: we were away in this beautifully lush green mountainscape and came back to all the parks, gardens, fields being dead brown dustbowls.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Born in '77 so no, but I do remember a similar one in the 80s. Lots of folk had stand pipes in the streets, ours was pretty close getting them. When I was a kid though, summers were hot.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:18 pm

yeah, i was in a pram.

topbin

Postby topbin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Having been away a couple of weeks, I have found it really weird coming back to essentially all of the grass in public spaces being yellow/dead. It’s quite odd - makes you feel like you’re in Spain/Greece rather than Leeds.

Hopefully a few days of rain coming up to sort it all out :thumbl:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:04 pm

topbin wrote:
Hopefully a few days of rain coming up to sort it all out :thumbl:

Fuck off, I've been enjoying not cutting the shit. First drop of rain and it's all gonna go nuts.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

About 20 years ago I remember a hosepipe ban, the reason I remember it so clearly is that the landlord of my local at the time proclaimed that there was no hosepipe ban in his cellar :lol: He was obviously joking but it has stuck with me.

Also, Yorkshire Water were up in helicopters seeing who had lush, green lawns - a lot of people got a lot of big fines as I recall. It will be more difficult for them to do that again if another ban is imposed as there are so many artificial lawns out there now, it would be an impossible task.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Yeah. IIRC the water people came round and switched off the stopcock outside your house, under threat of a prison sentence if you fucked with it yourself.

Vaguely remember that someone on our estate did and got grassed up by a neighbour. Big fine in court or summat.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Remember hearing tales of folks jumping in the canal '76, and dying of the shock 'cause it was do cold. I was 9 that summer but I don't remember a lot else.
Oh yeah. They turned the water off on our estate as well - my mum just reminded me .....

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Because 1976 was camping weather I took my tent for a weekend down Porthcawl, went to the fairground and met a woman a little bit older than myself from Merthyr Tydfil and we spent one night in my tent. It was a very humid night in the tent, with all the heat and her lack of having a shower it was like putting my tongue and nob in a tin of out of date sardines.

Happy days.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Happy Old Man thread thataway >>>>

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Happy Old Man thread thataway >>>>

Ok, back on track, the grass had probably lost a little of its natural lovely green colour but I didn't notice or give two cunting hoots :)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:25 pm

welshwhite wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Happy Old Man thread thataway >>>>

Ok, back on track, the grass had probably lost a little of its natural lovely green colour but I didn't notice or give two cunting hoots :)

:cheers: :puker:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 am

Sounds like you almost had beach weather.

:roll:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:05 am

Anyhow, to get the thread back on topic.

Cosmic neutrinos traced to source
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:20 am

Vampire wrote:Anyhow, to get the thread back on topic.

Cosmic neutrinos traced to source

:salute:
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 am

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 am

Return to “The Square Ball”