The World, the Universe and everything...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
OWETB

The World, the Universe and everything...

Postby OWETB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 am

Fascinating things are happening all the time but we might just link it in a random thread. So, I'm making this one to keep all of the wonders of the earth, the solar system and the universe all in one place.

Mother nature.

OWETB

Re: The World, the Universe and everything...

Postby OWETB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 am

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:56 am

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:58 am

White dog turds from the 70's :D :rabbit:

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:58 am

Good work.
There was that one of a microscopic close up of sand doing the rounds a few months ago:

Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:11 am

Man Called Sun wrote:Good work.
There was that one of a microscopic close up of sand doing the rounds a few months ago:

Fuck off, that's a bag of boiled sweets.

Curious thing about sand, not that I know a lot about geology. There's what: at least 100k years between a pebble beach and a sandy beach? I've always been slightly mystified by the pebble beaches all round Brighton, and then the isolated golden sands at Camber, a bit down the coast.

Similarly I was in Broadstairs at the weekend. All of Thanet is sandy, but as soon as you get to Whitstable a few miles away, it's pebbles again. Presume it's summat to do with river deposits and so on, but seems odd nonetheless.

Dale White

Postby Dale White » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:25 am

There has got to be life somewhere else, hasn't there ? Always wondered about that.
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:30 am

The local education bods have decided to introduce a bilingual education programme, and they are doing a pilot scheme with Biology. They're gonna teach it directly in English and I got roped in to help plan it.
So I've been geting my knowledge of biology up to A level standard.
Fuckin stunning. I already knew a bit, but learning about cell structure and function has been a revelation.
It's the small scale stuff that impresses me more than the big galactic stuff right now.

If I had my time again I'd study biology.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:32 am

Dale White wrote:There has got to be life somewhere else, hasn't there ? Always wondered about that.

Considering the universe is supposedly infinite, and there's billions of galaxies all containing billions of stars, the idea of there being no life other than on earth is ridiculous.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:34 am

Dale White wrote:There has got to be life somewhere else, hasn't there ? Always wondered about that.

dont believe nasa, it really is a thigh bone
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:37 am

Mustafaster wrote:If I had my time again I'd study biology.

Aye...

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:38 am

You mean outside Yorkshire?

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:49 am

We'll find out soon enough when they start pouring buckets of water on their heads and sticking vids of it on facebook.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 am

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:40 pm

Mustafaster wrote:'ve been geting my knowledge of biology up to A level standard.
Fuckin stunning. I already knew a bit, but learning about cell structure and function has been a revelation.
It's the small scale stuff that impresses me more than the big galactic stuff right now.

If I had my time again I'd study biology.

:salute:

Yeah, the extremes of scale are where it's at.

All this metre-scale human interaction and associated squelching has a lot to answer for :tongue:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:45 pm

I don't know if any of you lot have been following, or are even aware of the Roetta Spacecraft at all?

Basically they launched a space ship to go and rendezvous with a comet, it arrived a few weeks ago and is about 40 miles away from it. The comet itself is 2.5 miles across, and the boffins are now identifying the best landing site, thats right, LANDING SITE! They are landing the ship on a fucking comet in the middle of space to do experiments, how cool is that? Considering it is only about 100 years since the Wright brothers made the first flight.

Science, whether it be microbiological or based on physics is just mindblowing.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:51 pm

OWETB wrote:Science, whether it be microbiological or based on physics is just mindblowing.

You've reminded me- I'm involved in a project to explain evolution to upper age primary and lower age secondary school pupils...I've tried reading Origin of Species and got 3 pages in before fucking the Victorian bastard off.

Anyone recommend a thick cunt's version? It is indeed fascinating.

Supernorm

Postby Supernorm » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:12 pm

OWETB wrote: I don't know if any of you lot have been following, or are even aware of the Roetta Spacecraft at all?

Basically they launched a space ship to go and rendezvous with a comet, it arrived a few weeks ago and is about 40 miles away from it. The comet itself is 2.5 miles across, and the boffins are now identifying the best landing site, thats right, LANDING SITE! They are landing the ship on a fucking comet in the middle of space to do experiments, how cool is that? Considering it is only about 100 years since the Wright brothers made the first flight.

Science, whether it be microbiological or based on physics is just mindblowing.

Did you read about the New Horizons probe, it passed by Neptune's orbit this week, shaving 4 years off Voyager 1 & 2's time. It's on it's way to Pluto, arriving 14th July next year and will send back the first ever close up pictures of the dwarf planet. Amazing stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2734742/Next-stop-Pluto-Nasa-spacecraft-crosses-Neptune-s-orbit-record-time-trip-outer-edges-solar-system.html
Gripper wrote: "I did a Shaolin Qi-Gong taster sesh a few weeks back. Dead good it was" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:
OWETB wrote:Science, whether it be microbiological or based on physics is just mindblowing.

You've reminded me- I'm involved in a project to explain evolution to upper age primary and lower age secondary school pupils...I've tried reading Origin of Species and got 3 pages in before fucking the Victorian bastard off.

Anyone recommend a thick cunt's version? It is indeed fascinating.

I can't remember it well, but The Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins is worth a go. Bit heavy for your crowd though but you might be able to winnow something out... But there used to be good teaching aid for it AFAIK...

If anything else occurs will let you know. Considered just concentrating on the finches?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”