The state of UK politics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: The state of UK politics

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:36 am

Whilst it’s become clear that Johnson is just a retarded puppet operated by Cummings, I suppose it makes a change to see that Murdoch still has a hand up his arsehole too.
Member of a clique

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:55 am

I see the Liberal Democrats have a new leader.
A white man in his fifties who was educated at a private school, studied PPE at Oxford and since then has never had a job other than in politics.
How exciting.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:29 am

Mustafaster wrote:I see the Liberal Democrats have a new leader.
A white man in his fifties who was educated at a private school, studied PPE at Oxford and since then has never had a job other than in politics.
How exciting.

I especially like his continual references to waking up and smelling the coffee. I'm looking forward to the wider re-use of 1960s and '70s slang and I assume his policy of touring the country to listen to the people will be under the banner "what's your bag".

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:59 pm

Nicely done

Member of a clique

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:24 pm

Burn, baby. Burn.

I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:03 am

Peter Oborne puts the knife in on BoZo.
Twenty years ago, Boris Johnson hired me as political correspondent at the Spectator magazine. He was a joy to work for, a fine editor and a loyal colleague with the quickest mind I had ever encountered.

Over the last few months I have found myself trying to reconcile the exhilarating and generous individual I knew so well back then with today’s prime minister of Britain.

A prime minister who shamelessly lies to parliament, who misled the Queen over the prorogation of parliament, who wages permanent war on the independent civil service and who turned his back on Britain’s international obligations by pledging to tear up his own Withdrawal Agreement with the EU.

It’s impossible to equate the editor of the Spectator 20 years ago and today’s British PM.

How did Johnson of the Spectator turn into the man who trashes Britain’s reputation by ripping up international agreements?

It’s as if we are talking about two different people. Johnson of the Spectator stood up for the rule of law, for British institutions, for the union, for the international order and for the honest politics which as prime minister he daily subverts.

Back then he had a sophisticated understanding of policy - one which disdained simple solutions. We would have lucid discussions of complex issues, either in weekly conferences or at the famous Spectator lunches.

Boris was sunny, liberal, optimistic and pragmatic. So how did Johnson of the Spectator turn into the man who trashes Britain’s reputation by ripping up international agreements?
Pretty openly references the drinking rumours in the subhead and last line.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:27 am

Blackwhite wrote:Peter Oborne puts the knife in on BoZo.
Twenty years ago, Boris Johnson hired me as political correspondent at the Spectator magazine. He was a joy to work for, a fine editor and a loyal colleague with the quickest mind I had ever encountered.

Over the last few months I have found myself trying to reconcile the exhilarating and generous individual I knew so well back then with today’s prime minister of Britain.

A prime minister who shamelessly lies to parliament, who misled the Queen over the prorogation of parliament, who wages permanent war on the independent civil service and who turned his back on Britain’s international obligations by pledging to tear up his own Withdrawal Agreement with the EU.

It’s impossible to equate the editor of the Spectator 20 years ago and today’s British PM.

How did Johnson of the Spectator turn into the man who trashes Britain’s reputation by ripping up international agreements?

It’s as if we are talking about two different people. Johnson of the Spectator stood up for the rule of law, for British institutions, for the union, for the international order and for the honest politics which as prime minister he daily subverts.

Back then he had a sophisticated understanding of policy - one which disdained simple solutions. We would have lucid discussions of complex issues, either in weekly conferences or at the famous Spectator lunches.

Boris was sunny, liberal, optimistic and pragmatic. So how did Johnson of the Spectator turn into the man who trashes Britain’s reputation by ripping up international agreements?
Pretty openly references the drinking rumours in the subhead and last line.

Churchillian.
Bottle of red with lunch and a few stiffeners in the afternoon.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:57 am

And after that, the drinking begins...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:38 pm

So, this is probably just bollocks from outside or within Westminster, but offered without comment:

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 am

Like hundreds of others in the event industry, I'm a sole director of a limited company. I (used to) work from home, or on site.

As such, I'm not eligible for a Business interruption loan, so your offer of a further 4 years to repay falls a tad flat.

Events do not fall within the government definition of 'hospitality or tourism', so your offer of a VAT decrease extension is hollow indeed.

You've introduced a holiday (of sorts) on the VAT I do owe, suggesting I can make 11 'smaller payments throughout 2021/2'. Turnover this year won't - by a distance - reach the VAT threshold anyway, so again, I'm hardly leaping with joy.

And in your fourth measure, you're introducing the catchily titled 'pay as you grow', for the minimal bounce back loan I have received, giving me ten years to repay. That's not going to matter much, if my company ceases to exist in 10 weeks, is it Rishi?

You say you will "support viable jobs".

It appears you think mine isn't.

So thanks for that.

Thanks for supporting the industry that was the first to fall, and will be the last to return.

Thanks for supporting the people who have designed, built, produced, and safely managed every event you've ever been to. Glastonbury and any other gig. Trade shows. G7 meetings and the Davos symposium. Your party conference. Your wedding.

Thanks for supporting the workers who helped you build the Nightingales, staff and run the temporary mortuaries, and are today trying to sort out the shambles that is the testing centres.

At the same time as they try to sort out paying their rent, their mortgage, their weekly food bills.

Thanks for nothing.

Cunt.
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:51 am

Fair.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Devi wrote:Like hundreds of others in the event industry, I'm a sole director of a limited company. I (used to) work from home, or on site.

As such, I'm not eligible for a Business interruption loan, so your offer of a further 4 years to repay falls a tad flat.

Events do not fall within the government definition of 'hospitality or tourism', so your offer of a VAT decrease extension is hollow indeed.

You've introduced a holiday (of sorts) on the VAT I do owe, suggesting I can make 11 'smaller payments throughout 2021/2'. Turnover this year won't - by a distance - reach the VAT threshold anyway, so again, I'm hardly leaping with joy.

And in your fourth measure, you're introducing the catchily titled 'pay as you grow', for the minimal bounce back loan I have received, giving me ten years to repay. That's not going to matter much, if my company ceases to exist in 10 weeks, is it Rishi?

You say you will "support viable jobs".

It appears you think mine isn't.

So thanks for that.

Thanks for supporting the industry that was the first to fall, and will be the last to return.

Thanks for supporting the people who have designed, built, produced, and safely managed every event you've ever been to. Glastonbury and any other gig. Trade shows. G7 meetings and the Davos symposium. Your party conference. Your wedding.

Thanks for supporting the workers who helped you build the Nightingales, staff and run the temporary mortuaries, and are today trying to sort out the shambles that is the testing centres.

At the same time as they try to sort out paying their rent, their mortgage, their weekly food bills.

Thanks for nothing.

Cunt.

It's shit. Mate of mine has just been made redundant after over 20 years from a company that builds stages and other stuff for events. Really good firm, offer(ed) loads of training schemes for school leavers and put a lot back in.

The whole industry is fucked, long term. In addition to what that means for folk like you and him, what does it mean for everyone in the future. If there are no events companies then there are no events.
Conclave member

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Ponte wrote:...The whole industry is fucked, long term. In addition to what that means for folk like you and him, what does it mean for everyone in the future. If there are no events companies then there are no events.

yeah, hundreds, maybe thousands of jobs in harrogate depend on the conference/trade fair racket, there's the huge conference centre which has had a bit of a chequered history tbh, also loads of hotels, bars, restaurants etc.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Marina Hyde wrote:Alas, these are overly testing times for this prime minister, who we already know is too afraid to do the job without his emotional support psycho, Dominic Cummings. As a fable about being careful about what you wish for, the Johnson story could scarcely be more on the nose. In many ways the only way to make the point more clearly would be to strap Johnson in and force him to be prime minister for the rest of his life. Even now, watching him do the job has the air of a deliberate and grotesque psychological humiliation, like shaving the Honey Monster and forcing him to play Hamlet night after night.
Lovely.

Bnimble

Postby Bnimble » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Marina Hyde wrote:Alas, these are overly testing times for this prime minister, who we already know is too afraid to do the job without his emotional support psycho, Dominic Cummings. As a fable about being careful about what you wish for, the Johnson story could scarcely be more on the nose. In many ways the only way to make the point more clearly would be to strap Johnson in and force him to be prime minister for the rest of his life. Even now, watching him do the job has the air of a deliberate and grotesque psychological humiliation, like shaving the Honey Monster and forcing him to play Hamlet night after night.
Lovely.

Quality writing. Enjoyed reading.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Paul Dacre ofcom chair? if true then towards the shabbier end of blatant US/FCC style political appointments, big backwards step. presumably intended to oversee some clipping of the BBC's wings?

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:06 pm

Who gives a shit about BBC now we have GB News :puker:
Keep Fighting

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Please can we have a revolution now? Priti please?
Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:22 pm

The irony of her xenophobia is performance art. Discuss.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Reports here that Boris is prepared to lose the auto industry in exchange for keeping a few fishermen happy.
True?

Return to “The Square Ball”