The state of UK politics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Tommy

The state of UK politics

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:11 am

Had a chat with a pal in Westminster over the weekend and he raised a couple of interesting points regarding the easing of the lockdown. Firstly, that they want MPs back because Boris is getting rinsed in PMQs and the optics are terrible for the government. Secondly, the easing for vulnerable shielded people is directly linked to trying to bury the Cummings story, that’s why it’s against everything they’ve said previously and all sensible medical advice. There’s a good chance these moves will get people killed but I guess that doesn’t matter.

Mustafaster

Re: The state of UK politics

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:40 am

Tommy wrote:Had a chat with a pal in Westminster over the weekend and he raised a couple of interesting points regarding the easing of the lockdown. Firstly, that they want MPs back because Boris is getting rinsed in PMQs and the optics are terrible for the government. Secondly, the easing for vulnerable shielded people is directly linked to trying to bury the Cummings story, that’s why it’s against everything they’ve said previously and all sensible medical advice. There’s a good chance these moves will get people killed but I guess that doesn’t matter.

Well, there's obviously no sensible reason for ending the lockdown. Just about every scientist and medic is against it.
I'm sure they can drag out the medical equivalent of Patrick Minford to support it, but the consensus is agin it.
It's politics, has been from day 1 with the "take it on the chin " nonsense.

Boris is getting made to look the buffoon he is by Starmer and he could use a few hundred braying donkeys behind him.
Not entirely sure that would play well, any more. Especially if Labour finally stop playing that stupid fuckin game of shouting and bawling at every opportunity. They can never beat the Tories at that, and why would they want to?
If Labour just kept quiet and left the Tories alone to do the childish bellowing alone it would show them up for what they are.
Gobs on a stick.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:39 pm

:lol:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:18 am

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Useless cunt wears an earpiece at PMQs

HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:57 pm

Listening to the Squareball podcast.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:00 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Useless cunt wears an earpiece at PMQs

Have seen this pretty convincingly debunked on twitter. Boris just has weird ears, apparently. Loads of old pics like this.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Even from that picture it appears to me that part of his ear is merely dark in the photo.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Tommy wrote:Even from that picture it appears to me that part of his ear is merely dark in the photo.

Aye, some folks are in danger of disappearing down that rabbit hole of conspiracy.
Even if it were an earpiece, so what?
Bloke might be a bit mutt after all the ear bashings from all his exes.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Tommy wrote:Even from that picture it appears to me that part of his ear is merely dark in the photo.

Even if it were an earpiece, so what?

Sorry to read that it's not true. I was looking forward to Johnson blurting out Cummings' earphone message "So what, let them all die" in response to a question at PMQs.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:07 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Even if it were an earpiece, so what?

Apart from it being explicitly prohibited in parliamentary rules, it rather undermines the democratic ethos that the PM should face - and be able to answer - questions from his/her peers if s/he is being remotely prompted.

So quite a bit of 'what', really.
I like it. What is it?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Devi wrote:

Apart from it being explicitly prohibited in parliamentary rules, it rather undermines the democratic ethos that the PM should face - and be able to answer - questions from his/her peers if s/he is being remotely prompted.

Like I said, maybe he's a bit mutt.
Lots of people are, doesn't mean they're getting secret messages from The Mekon.
Conspiracy shit gettin outta han' roun' here bro.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Tommy wrote:Had a chat with a pal in Westminster over the weekend...

Tommy, i was wondering if you had had enough encounters with these mp types to be able to generalise about why the fuck they became mp's in the first place? is it some greater urge to benefit society, as i suspect is the case with michael gove, or is it some desperate power grab like someone such as jess phillips may make? asking for a friend.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Devi wrote:

Like I said, maybe he's a bit mutt.
Lots of people are, doesn't mean they're getting secret messages from The Mekon.
Conspiracy shit gettin outta han' roun' here bro.

Ah dont get me wrong - I dont happen to think* he was wearing a piece, but had he been, that would matter.

* Im about 80% sure
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Tommy wrote:Had a chat with a pal in Westminster over the weekend...

Tommy, i was wondering if you had had enough encounters with these mp types to be able to generalise about why the fuck they became mp's in the first place? is it some greater urge to benefit society, as i suspect is the case with michael gove, or is it some desperate power grab like someone such as jess phillips may make? asking for a friend.

The (now ex) MP I went to school with was just a cunt. Dunno if that helps. I'd definitely file him under desperate power grab. He was a bang average footballer whose dad got him trials at Fulham & QPR which led nowhere. Possibly being told he had some qualities which he really didn't possess turned him into a Tory MP. Who knows?
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 pm

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:55 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:The (now ex) MP I went to school with was just a cunt. Dunno if that helps. I'd definitely file him under desperate power grab. He was a bang average footballer whose dad got him trials at Fulham & QPR which led nowhere. Possibly being told he had some qualities which he really didn't possess turned him into a Tory MP. Who knows?

that fits my theory nicely. it was the walk i had about a week ago with the wife that i rambled on about here. i looked back on that post after vamps commented on it and it looked far angrier than intended, it was meant as just puzzlement. at the time i thought i'd written enough waffle so i stopped, but i was mulling over why do people become mp's?

to put it simply i reckon they're just people who haven't grown up properly. when you're little you want to be a superhero, you get a bit older and you just want to be hard, so you are never the victim of injustice, but the one who dishes out the justice. trouble is justice becomes less straight forward as you get older, nevertheless you still want to be the arbiter of justice to make it suit your wants. most people accept this isn't going to happen and live a life understanding that the laws are there for the benefit of the majority and abiding by them. some people prefer to stick their cocks into pigs heads, some people prefer to fiddle with kids (cyril smith et al.) in order to do this you've got to be in authority yourself where people cannot question you. it's the old thing about power seducing. it's not new to say that power seduces (i doubt any of this is new) but what makes people want power on a day to day level? so they can beat the crap out of someone as a police officer? like most people i've met a few, some are decent some are less impressive as people. it's that arrogant idea that dominic cummings has being above the law.

the one unintended consequence of modern technology is that it could well throw water on all these fires. the camera phone in particular and google maps tracking your position makes everyone accountable, making the dream of unaccountability problematic. there is no escape from the public gaze (or less of one) meanwhile the same urges from those people who haven't grown up properly (and i can't say i have fully, it's lovely to get away with some things) will go on. it's not 1984 yet.

..and at the weekend i found out that this tory mp used to live in the house we moved into in leeds when i was 3, a semi detached in roundhay. can't say i know him, but his mum seemed nice and stayed friendly with our family for a few year.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:59 pm

Good to see that people have moved on in a spirit of forgive and forget https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-52911605

Return to “The Square Ball”