The state of UK politics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: The state of UK politics

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 29, 2020 10:43 am

I see Vampire has posted. He can definitely fuck off, before any of you.

Now I’m going to report this post to Welsh. He might read it whilst Vamps is giving him his daily blowjob.
HM Collector Of Parcels

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am

eric olthwaite wrote:I see Vampire has posted. He can definitely fuck off, before any of you.

Now I’m going to report this post to Welsh. He might read it whilst Vamps is giving him his daily blowjob.

Vamps was Welsh's 4th wife I believe and things broke down for the lack of blow job's. I think that's when Linda arrived on the scene

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Fuck off yourself jackos, you're a lot further from Bradford than I am. FWIW my practice is currently working on a regeneration project in Bradford city centre. We're there, talking to people.

What I'm saying is just that the 'I know this bloke' school of anecdote is a shit approach to questioning whether economic policy is working.

My family are Leeds, Bradford and in-between. My Mates are Leeds. Try finding work after 50 in Leeds or Bradford, it is not easy. I am saying this government have taken the first step towards delivering what they promised, time will tell what the results are. If I can find fault I see no harm in highlighting the positives I see

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri May 29, 2020 10:53 am

jackos wrote:Speaking to folks back home I also get the impression that Johnson is following through on some of the promises he made to the North of England during the election, which, if the projects come to pass, has to be commended. Labour has been promising to invest in the North of decades, and has failed to delivered. I know two people who lost jobs due to cutbacks in the banking secotr who are now working on the finances for Government projects that will benefit the North of England, work also seems to be continuing on projects in preparation for leaving the EU.

Interesting observation, Jackos.

Johnson does use the phrase “one nation Conservativism.” He doesn’t mean the same thing as Disraeli or MacMillan, and like so many of his predecessors he has usurped the term for his own ends,

In Johnson’s case the term seems to be a combination of higher public spending/bigger state with illiberal social conservativism. And for those reasons it’s designed to work well in Northern England - pandering both to the public spending needs of the region and the sort of nationalistic and illiberal social attitudes that made Brexit attractive.

When I talk about higher public spending I’m not talking about the Covid - 19 stimulus which is driven by emergency and little more than economic orthodoxy that is being pursued by most developed countries.

I’m talking about plans even before Covid 19. For example, Johnson was tinkering with Treasury formulae for public spending distribution to shift resources from South to North. Those formulae were designed by economic rationalists based on where the economy got more bang for the buck. Changing them puts politics - holding on to newly gained Northern seats - above the UK economy. But that is in the nature of populism. And Northerners will be the (relative) beneficiaries - albeit IMHO all will be losers.

It’s a new kind of Conservativism that Corbynistas like Oaf are typically slow to comprehend. They insist on labelling Johnson “Thatcherism on steroids.” The term suggests he’s just a more extreme version of ultra free market economics and fiscal Conservativism, but they fail to notice the significant differences or how the beast has changed - in some ways better in others much worse.

Obviously the Johnson project was conceived pre Covid so may have to be modified for a post Covid world. But your observation is consistent with one pre Covid project objective of relatively higher public spending in the North. So, suspect your mates are right. Oh - and don’t worry about Oaf - I’ve never known anyone with worse political understanding or judgement as his track record on this thread proves!
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri May 29, 2020 10:59 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Now I’m going to report this post to Welsh. He might read it whilst Vamps is giving him his daily blowjob.

Rhys, I fear we’ve been rumbled.
:shock:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 11:15 am

Vampire wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Now I’m going to report this post to Welsh. He might read it whilst Vamps is giving him his daily blowjob.

Rhys, I fear we’ve been rumbled.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :king:

We've got a good thing going between us, Brett.
If someone attacks one of us on here we both stick up for each other, it's as if we've formed our own mini-pack.
Hooray for mutual backslapping.

A lot of this happens on here so we're just keeping with the trend :thumbl:
Xx

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 11:19 am

welshwhite wrote:
Vampire wrote: Rhys, I fear we’ve been rumbled.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :king:

We've got a good thing going between us, Brett.
If someone attacks one of us on here we both stick up for each other, it's as if we've formed our own mini-pack.

A lot happens on here so we're just keeping to the trend :thumbl:
Xx

Poll wrecking cunts. You can both fuck off. :mrgreen:

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Vampire wrote:
Interesting observation, Jackos.

Johnson does use the phrase “one nation Conservativism.” He doesn’t mean the same thing as Disraeli or MacMillan, and like so many of his predecessors he has usurped the term for his own ends,

In Johnson’s case the term seems to be a combination of higher public spending/bigger state with illiberal social conservativism. And for those reasons it’s designed to work well in Northern England - pandering both to the public spending needs of the region and the sort of nationalistic and illiberal social attitudes that made Brexit attractive.

When I talk about higher public spending I’m not talking about the Covid - 19 stimulus which is driven by emergency and little more than economic orthodoxy that is being pursued by most developed countries.

I’m talking about plans even before Covid 19. For example, Johnson was tinkering with Treasury formulae for public spending distribution to shift resources from South to North. Those formulae were designed by economic rationalists based on where the economy got more bang for the buck. Changing them puts politics - holding on to newly gained Northern seats - above the UK economy. But that is in the nature of populism. And Northerners will be the (relative) beneficiaries - albeit IMHO all will be losers.

It’s a new kind of Conservativism that Corbynistas like Oaf are typically slow to comprehend. They insist on labelling Johnson “Thatcherism on steroids.” The term suggests he’s just a more extreme version of ultra free market economics and fiscal Conservativism, but they fail to notice the significant differences or how the beast has changed - in some ways better in others much worse.

Obviously the Johnson project was conceived pre Covid so may have to be modified for a post Covid world. But your observation is consistent with one pre Covid project objective of relatively higher public spending in the North. So, suspect your mates are right. Oh - and don’t worry about Oaf - I’ve never known anyone with worse political understanding or judgement as his track record on this thread proves!

Thanks Vamps, you're 100% correct, only you describe it better than I could. The civil service were recruiting a lot of experts before covid hit, I just happen to know a couple of the folks who landed jobs, and obviously the focus has been adjusted to include covid related projects. The people who I am talking about are very experienced and were faced with the option of relocating South or abroad, instead they can now refocus on projects that can hopefully benefit the region. Obviously you could ask if the government are reacting to a problem in the bank sector that their European policy created, but banks have been cutting jobs for a while now and Brexit is what the English voted for.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 29, 2020 12:53 pm

jackos wrote:
Vampire wrote: For example, Johnson was tinkering with Treasury formulae for public spending distribution to shift resources from South to North. Those formulae were designed by economic rationalists based on where the economy got more bang for the buck. Changing them puts politics - holding on to newly gained Northern seats - above the UK economy. But that is in the nature of populism. And Northerners will be the (relative) beneficiaries - albeit IMHO all will be losers.

Thanks Vamps, you're 100% correct, only you describe it better than I could.

I'm not trying to be rude here jackos but honestly, why do you fall for the ramblings of this half baked fake economist imbecile?

Shift public spending from south to north? Not happening.

Like I said in my earlier post, this is about structural funding of local economies, where the Tories will continue to hit the North harder than the South. Why? Because the North (generally) has the areas of worst social deprivation. So if you starve social funding across the board, the North will experience disproportionate actual harm.

Throwing in a few trinkets of short-term capital project investment will not change that.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri May 29, 2020 2:07 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
jackos wrote:
Vampire wrote: For example, Johnson was tinkering with Treasury formulae for public spending distribution to shift resources from South to North. Those formulae were designed by economic rationalists based on where the economy got more bang for the buck. Changing them puts politics - holding on to newly gained Northern seats - above the UK economy. But that is in the nature of populism. And Northerners will be the (relative) beneficiaries - albeit IMHO all will be losers.

Thanks Vamps, you're 100% correct, only you describe it better than I could.

I'm not trying to be rude here jackos but honestly, why do you fall for the ramblings of this half baked fake economist imbecile?

Shift public spending from south to north? Not happening.

:roll:

Oaf digs up an article about a proposed redistribution of a paltry £300M in local Council funding. If he’d bothered to read it first he’d have seen the Council formula in question followed a funding review commissioned not by the Johnson Government but by Theresa May and is to go out to public consultation.

Presumably in googling he also missed all the articles about changes to the more significant Treasury funding formulae by the Johnson Government:

The Guardian

The BBC

Even the The Australian

As I said, not sure how Covid will impact all this, but no doubt Johnson’s original Conservative agenda - bigger state/higher public spending combined with illiberal nationalism/social conservatism is not the same as Thatcherite ultra free market/fiscally conservative politics. It may be better in some ways but in many more ways it will be worse.

Of course, red fascists like Oaf won’t have noticed the change and will continue to fight the old wars. This is the man who told us a Eurosceptic 1970s throwback like Corbyn was the right man to lead Labour in the 21st century, and endorsed all his doomed political and electoral strategies. I’ve never known anyone get politics so wrong so often whilst continuing to retain an air of conceited pretentiousness about it.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 29, 2020 3:28 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I'm not trying to be rude here jackos but honestly, why do you fall for the ramblings of this half baked fake economist imbecile.

No worries, no offense taken, I try not to get involved in your disagreement with Vamps. I think you both have a lot of interesting stuff to say, it helps me reconsider how I view events in the world. Vampire does seem to have a much better grasp of economics that I do, doesn’t mean I agree with everything he writes, but his posts are definitely interesting [to me]. I don’t like the mud throwing, it bores me, I’m honestly amazed you can both be bothered after what must be a decade of it, but I do my best to ignore it. We Are Leeds as we used to say, or ALAW as the kiddies say these days...

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 29, 2020 3:34 pm

I don't think Vampire's actually a professional economist any more than I think that my farts smell of evening primrose, or that Welsh has had nineteen wives. But yeah, you're right, it's tedious. I'll stick to ignoring him.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 4:01 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 8:17 am

:lol: :lol: Hyde on BoZo at the Liaison Committee.
Yet, mesmerisingly, Johnson appeared to imagine he was even in the same postcode as adequate. “The trouble is,” he complained about having to be there at all, “it does take a huge amount of Sherpa time, of preparation time.” On the one hand: oh no. Did you have to be prime minister again for an hour? I’m sorry it’s so much work. On the other hand: wait. Are you telling me that this is you WITH preparation? What does busking it look like? Presumably it involves public incontinence.
:thumbl:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Turkeys.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm

jackos wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:I'm not trying to be rude here jackos but honestly, why do you fall for the ramblings of this half baked fake economist imbecile.

No worries, no offense taken, I try not to get involved in your disagreement with Vamps. I think you both have a lot of interesting stuff to say, it helps me reconsider how I view events in the world. Vampire does seem to have a much better grasp of economics that I do, doesn’t mean I agree with everything he writes, but his posts are definitely interesting [to me]. I don’t like the mud throwing, it bores me, I’m honestly amazed you can both be bothered after what must be a decade of it, but I do my best to ignore it. We Are Leeds as we used to say, or ALAW as the kiddies say these days...

The next time Eric is right.....about anything, will be the first.

Sums up TSB completely, in that the guy who often knows most about the politics and economics in this country is the one who lives furthest away from it.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Yeboah wrote:
Sums up TSB completely, in that the guy who often knows most about the politics and economics in this country is the one who lives furthest away from it.

:thumbl: He's the only one on the political threads that I don't skim read through.

A stopped clock get's it right more often than our other "Experts".

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat May 30, 2020 12:28 pm

welshwhite wrote:
Yeboah wrote:

:thumbl: He's the only one on the political threads that I don't skim read through.

Shame he knows fuck all about cricket :thumbl:

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat May 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:
welshwhite wrote:
Yeboah wrote:

Shame he knows fuck all about cricket :thumbl:

Fair comment on that. The cunt is clueless on cricket, and I'm sure he's big enough to admit it on here :thumbl:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 31, 2020 1:39 pm

Return to “The Square Ball”