Tommy

Re: The state of UK politics

Postby Tommy » Tue May 26, 2020 9:26 am

Where is that from?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 26, 2020 9:39 am

@adambienkov, ComRes.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue May 26, 2020 10:37 am

It doesn't matter.
They don't give a fuck.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 am

Mustafaster wrote:It doesn't matter.
They don't give a fuck.

This. And why should they. 80 MP majority and four years to govern.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue May 26, 2020 11:04 am

in fairness, when this story first went bonkers on Friday & Saturday, I was half sympathetic to arguments that it was all overblown/to agreeing with the relevance of the most gleeful participants in the initial twitter pile-on being pretty much all 'remainers'.

but, yeah, the day after the big interview this does all seem pretty ghastly.

it's easy to see why even the Mail turned on him, he racked up so many big crosses against its idealised 'Privet Drive' ethos & lifestyle:

lawbreaker.

decadently cavalier attitude towards [rather than fear of] the world beyond his own pristine net curtains.

not having children until his 40s/generall tarnishing the good name of ‘family values’ by using them to concoct flimsy excuses - for his excuses to stand up to scrutiny they needed to somehow stress the exceptional nature of his circumstances, not rely on things that apply to nearly everyone ['i'm a parent'].

lives in [amongst other places] an improbably valuable looking house in the very north london borough that for decades has been synonymous with metropolitan liberalism

suspicion that elements of their life are a piss-about reliant on partly his but mostly her parents’ money.

the mail is pretty good at not just forming but also reacting to the opinions of social class C1 & C2 types, to whom this must really look like a skyscraper sized piss take. the lockdown relaxation rules from the last fortnight are fairly difficult to interpret, but the list that was in place whilst all this monkey business was going on was more or less a paragon of simplicity.

given that their economic policies invariably make most people worse off terms of their public services & finances etc, the Tories can only ever get a majority by selling a kind of 'moral vision', you know, that they're tough on crime/scroungers/gays/muslims etc, pro family/church/police/army/the queen etc, so they really can't stray *too far* into piss-take territory, as John Major found out with his 'back to basics' nonsense.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 26, 2020 11:12 am

I seem to remember that in the Blair years, if the Guardian and the Mail agreed on their objection to a policy it was dropped, forthwith.

A little of that would be nice to see here, but we're into a shonky version of the C21 Hypernormalisation model here and the old rule book is on fire.

Last time I felt this broad a consensus of unfairness, poll tax etc, London went on fire, and the shine came off the iron for the lady.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Oof.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed May 27, 2020 8:45 am

Enjoyed the cover of the Daily Star this morning. Always cut to the heart of it:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed May 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Well errr I errr I don't want to go into ... into any details on errr that matter... I errr I mentioned before my thoughts...my thoughts on that... there's nothing to be errr to be gained by ....by going over that...we need to be..,to be (looks at camera and clenches fists) to be looking firmly at the future...yes.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Wed May 27, 2020 4:04 pm

The concept of no recourse to public funds is hardly new and is a common issue. Who the fuck is this Prime Minister?
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed May 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Ontolly wrote: Who the fuck is this Prime Minister?

I'm tempted to pop out one of my bollocks, draw Ray bans on it, and post a photo right here.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed May 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Genuine question to the yay sayers, but is any of the below (another social media ‘list’) provably inaccurate?

If you’re struggling to keep up with the government’s extraordinary clusterfuck, here’s Twitter user @russincheshire’s comprehensive breakdown of the last few days:

1. Dominic Cummings, one of the few men to have ever been found in contempt of Parliament, moved onto contempt for everything

2. When the story broke, and he was accused of doing things that look bad, he said he didn't care how things looked

3. Then ministers said press outrage meant nothing, only the opinion of the people mattered

4. Then polls showed 52% of people wanted Cummings to resign

5. So Cummings decided to show the public some respect, by turning up 30 minutes late to make his explanation

6. He began by saying he wasn't speaking for the govt, which must be why he was in the Rose Garden of 10 Downing Street

7. Then the self-styled "enemy of the Islington media elite" said his wife, who works in the media, had been ill in their house in Islington

8. But she was only a bit ill, so he popped home, got himself nice and infected, then went back to Downing Street for meetings with lots of vitally important people in the middle of a national crisis

9. But then he got ill too, so then it was suddenly important

10. Sadly he couldn't get childcare in London, even though 3 immediate relatives live within 3 miles of his London home

11. So because he was carrying a virus that can cross a 2 metre distance and kill, he immediately locked himself in a car with his wife and child for 5 hours

12. He then drove 264 miles without stopping in a Land Rover that gets maybe 25 MPG

13. Then the scourge of the metropolitan elites made himself extra-relatable by describing his family's sprawling country estate, multiple houses and idyllic woodlands

14. He explained that he'd warned about a coronavirus years ago in his blog

15. Then it was revealed he actually secretly amended old blogs after he'd returned from Durham

16. And anyway, if he'd warned years ago, why was he so massively unprepared and slow to react?

17. Then he said he was too ill to move for a week

18. But in the middle of that week, presumably with "wonky eyes", he drove his child to hospital

19. Then he said that to test his "wonky eyes" he put his wife and child in a car and drove 30 miles on public roads

20. Then it was revealed his wife drives, so there was no reason for the "eye test", cos she could have driven them back to London

21. Then it was revealed the "eye test" trip to a local tourist spot took place on his wife's birthday

22. Then cameras filmed as he threw a cup onto the table, smirked and left

23. And then it emerged his wife had written an article during the time in Dunham, describing their experience of being in lockdown in London, which you'd definitely do if you weren't hiding anything

24. A govt scientific advisor said "more people will die" as a result of what Cummings had done.

25. Boris Johnson said he "wouldn't mark Cummings " down for what he'd done.

26. The Attorney General said it was ok to break the law if you were acting on instinct

27. The Health Minister said it was OK to endanger public health if you meant well

28. Johnson said Cummings' "story rings true" because his own eyesight was fine before coronavirus, but now he needs glasses

29. But in an interview with The Telegraph 5 years ago, Johnson said he needed glasses cos he was "blind as a bat"

30. Michael Gove went on TV and said it was "wise" to drive 30 miles on public roads with your family in the car to test your eyesight

31. The DVLA tweeted that you should never, ever do this

32. Then ministers started claiming Cummings had to go to Durham because he feared crowds attacking his home. The streets were empty because we were observing the lockdown.

33. And then a minister finally resigned

34. Steve Baker, Richard Littlejohn, Isabel Oakeshott, Tim Montgomerie, Jan Moir, Ian Dale, Julia Hartley Brewer, 30 Tory MPs, half a dozen bishops and the actual Daily Mail said Cummings should go

35. The govt suggested we can ignore them, because they're all left-wingers

36. Then a vicar asked Matt Hancock if other people who had been fined for doing exactly what Cummings did would get their fine dropped. Matt Hancock said he'd suggest it to the govt

37. The govt said no within an hour. Cummings' statement had lasted longer than that

38. And if the guidelines were so clear, why were people being stopped and fined for driving to find childcare in the first place?

39. Then a new poll found people who wanted Cummings sacked had risen from 52% to 57%

40. Cummings is considered the smartest man in the govt

41. And in the middle of all this, in case we take our eye off it: we reached 60,000 deaths. One of the highest per capita death rates worldwide.

42. We still face Brexit under this lot.

43. It's 4 years until an election

44. And it's still only Wednesday
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Just to add the only one that still surprises me: Sunday the PM said the Barnard Castle story was untrue. Monday Cummings says it basically happened. The two on consecutive days is extraordinary.

Either the PM lied to the country or his advisor lied to him. Never seen this not lead to somebody going under the bus.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed May 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Blackwhite wrote: Never seen this not lead to somebody going under the bus.

cummings goes, he drags boris and brexit down with him.
boris goes, brexit is massively undermined.
nobody's stopping that red bus with the fiction on the side.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed May 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Devi wrote:Genuine question to the yay sayers, but is any of the below (another social media ‘list’) provably inaccurate?

It fails to mention the UK government refusal to extend the Brexit deadline despite being offered a two year extension by the EU earlier this week, and despite its own deadline for extending expiring at the end of June.

Seems the UK is banking on the EU being desperate to sign a deal due to cv19. I think Wayne Rooney has more chance of getting Derby promoted than that happening..

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu May 28, 2020 9:36 pm

The BBC understands...

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 pm

My local MP and Boris disciple Jenrick, fresh off his own Cummings-esque lockdown indiscretion, found by a court as being a dodgy bastard
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 29, 2020 6:21 am

This is nuts. Full thread makes it clear that only 50 MPs will be allowed in the chamber (same as now) but they’re ending all the virtual parliament stuff. Why?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 6:28 am

Not read the thread yet, but are they expecting their Rebel MPs (sorry, Congo Natty) to actually vote against the govt? This could help stave that off...

Return to “The Square Ball”