The state of UK politics

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Eddies Boots

Re: The state of UK politics

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Its all over for Labour then - not even the chance of a coalition after losing an election

John McDonnell via the beeb,
Mr McDonnell said it was possible for Labour to win the next election, but if the party did not win an outright majority, it would not enter a coalition or strike any deals with other parties.

If Labour failed to win a majority, he said he would rather have another election in quick succession to give it the mandate it needed to operate in government.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:Its all over for Labour then - not even the chance of a coalition after losing an election

Leaving the door wide open for a right wing populist government. Depressing as fuck. Unfortunately it’s not just the UK, but FPTP means you are more likely to have a populist right wing government with a large majority in parliament than in the majotity of Central European countries with more representative electoral systems

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:14 pm

FPTP is also one of the reasons we’ll not be allowed back into the EU, if/when we leave. That and our unelected second chamber are seen as too undemocratic.

You couldn’t make it up.
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 am

These Labour soft coup stories seem to have some substance then, from the mood music.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:35 am

Blackwhite wrote:All I remember is after twenty years being of the mind that either we returned to our roots or I was done with Labour. I asked my MP to put him (Corbyn) on the ballot, and he did, at 11:59, so to speak.

Just seen this. Great you have so much influence on your Labour MP, but a genuine question for you and any another Remainer Labour Members who supported Corbyn’s Leadership bid:

With an EU referendum already announced, were you ignorant of the extent of his history of Euroscepticism? Or,

If you were aware, does that mean sticking two fingers up to Blair was more important to you than continuing EU membership and the economic future of the poorest in society?

Serious question - genuinely interested in your answer. And don’t play the “ignore” card - everybody can see you “unhide” whenever it suits you.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Best of luck with that Vamps, you're out of his league, the coward bigot chooses to hide when challenged and indeed prefers to talk and reply to himself.

:mrgreen:
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:06 pm

From Sky News....in which case they get my vote.

“We'll allow football fans to stand during matches from next season, says Labour “
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Tycipa wrote:From Sky News....in which case they get my vote.

“We'll allow football fans to stand during matches from next season, says Labour “

Ok, lovely, but it smells like there’d have to be tons of shite to do with liability and safety certificates before that’s a thing ‘next season’. I spose if it just extends to stewards not being allowed to tell you to sit down, maybe?

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:15 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Tycipa wrote:From Sky News....in which case they get my vote.

Ok, lovely, but it smells like there’d have to be tons of shite to do with liability and safety certificates before that’s a thing ‘next season’. I spose if it just extends to stewards not being allowed to tell you to sit down, maybe?

We’ll it’ll make a change from them sitting on the fence.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Arf!

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 pm

:lol:
I like it. What is it?

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:22 am

So, I rejoined Labour a couple of months back. I don’t particularly like Corbyn but they are still the party closest to my beliefs. Also, better to try to change from within (see E.U.)

Maybe we will get a hung parliament with a coalition of Labour/SNP/LD which could curb some of Corbyn’s more extreme ideas.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:33 am

It's such a tough election to predict as it seems people will be voting by who is the least objectionable? I'd expect lib dems to make some progress because if this. Tories will probably get enough votes to get back in due to the incompetence of Labour.

For me the unacceptable votes are the Tories because its them and I don't live in the South and the brexit party because Farage is the most horrible excuse for a human imaginable. Labour would be my go to but Corbyn is the height of incompetence. Lib dems are much about nothing but maybe the least anger inducing?

Fuck knows

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 am

Just vote for what happens in your seat, it’s all you can do.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Just vote for what happens in your seat, it’s all you can do.

It's a good point. Lib dems put a tree in a pot on a roundabout next to my estate. Looks OK to be fair.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:10 am

Unfortunately in my area, design-a-tory will get in.

Just look at him
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 am

Ponte wrote:Unfortunately in my area, design-a-tory will get in.

Just look at him

He looks a bit Welsh.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:28 am

Ponte wrote:Unfortunately in my area, design-a-tory will get in.

Just look at him

You ever met him?
Asked a question or engaged with him at any level?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:44 pm

We will see if this kind of thing happens again once people start looking inside the box

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:55 pm

really got to hope that farage & BJ can't agree a pact of any kind.

the peterborough by election earlier this year hopefully points the way to what can result from that - LAB 31%, BXP 29%, CON 21%, LAB it is, oof.

Return to “The Square Ball”