London_White

Re: The state of UK politics

Postby London_White » Wed May 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Well well well
Seems Little Gavin ©BW has had his comeuppance

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Wed May 01, 2019 6:18 pm

But still denying it! Either very cheeky or has been done like a kipper...
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed May 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Heh heh.

He can now go away and shut up.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 01, 2019 9:26 pm

:mrgreen:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu May 02, 2019 7:15 am

He was boss whip wasn't he?
Knows where the bodies are buried.
You'd think that this is a breach of the OSA, which would bring a jail sentence.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 02, 2019 7:33 am

Blackwhite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Sorry, I assume you mean Boris? He wasn't there, was he?

Little Gavin.

But he swore on his children’s lives and made them eat BSE burgers.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 02, 2019 12:05 pm

This is fucking shameful, even for these cunts.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri May 03, 2019 3:23 am

Blackwhite wrote:This is fucking shameful, even for these cunts.

its from Feb - so count will be higher unless they released that green paper - any ideas?
googling for it i did find this excellent headline in the Telegraph from 2015
Elderly face NHS discrimination under new UN death targets

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 03, 2019 6:47 am

Eddies Boots wrote:
Elderly face NHS discrimination under new UN death targets

:lol:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 03, 2019 7:04 am

Smells like a bit of a hot take, but here’s one way of looking at the local election results so far:

UKIP (ultra brexit) -70%
CON (hard brexit) -25%
LAB (sneaky brexit) -10%
LD (Remain) +110%
GRN (Remain) +550%

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 03, 2019 7:13 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Smells like a bit of a hot take, but here’s one way of looking at the local election results so far:

UKIP (ultra brexit) -70%
CON (hard brexit) -25%
LAB (sneaky brexit) -10%
LD (Remain) +110%
GRN (Remain) +550%

Perhaps. But the greens didn't win a single council 2015 and the LibDems only won 4. If LD only win back what they lost when they were wiped out 2015 it's not a very strong signal. Still nice to see UKIP losing seats.

Bloody <expected> disaster for Corbyn.

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri May 03, 2019 8:23 am

jackos wrote:Perhaps. But the greens didn't win a single council 2015 and the LibDems only won 4. If LD only win back what they lost when they were wiped out 2015 it's not a very strong signal.

Welcome to FPTP...
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 03, 2019 8:25 am

I think you can only look at it as a direction of travel really. Turnout in local elections is always low, and looks to be very low this time. In terms of councils, I think very few people think something like 'oh, it's really important to have a LibDem council instead of Tory', unless there are some unique and pressing local concerns.

Loads more analysis needed in terms of correlating votes to parliamentary voting and leave / remain before drawing any serious conclusions.

Still, quietly pleasing to see things like that inbred toxic motherfucker JRM waking up to a Lib Dem local council in his constituency. :lol:

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 am

Devi wrote:Welcome to FPTP...

FPTP is undemocratic but it does not explain why Labour lost councillors both 2015 and 2019, looking at the results it's pretty clear to me that Labour is the biggest looser. Corbyn's failure to capitalise on the disarray in the Tory party is striking.. The BBC election map shows one labour gain at the moment.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 am

jackos wrote:FPTP is undemocratic but it does not explain why Labour lost councillors both 2015 and 2019, looking at the results it's pretty clear to me that Labour is the biggest looser. Corbyn's failure to capitalise on the disarray in the Tory party is striking.. The BBC election map shows one labour gain at the moment.

You're reading seats gained as significant. I'm reading absolute votes as more significant and a measure of party 'health'. Lab <> Tory is a very uncommon swing in local council politics, it's always LibDem <> Tory and Lab <> LibDem (I'm guessing Lewes DC will swing strongly Tory >> LibDem for example).

It's true that loads of Tory voters are disaffected, but it's unsurprising that the LibDems are the ones to benefit. I think the key metric for Labour will be vote loss (in the context of overall turnout) and whether that's happening in Remain or Leave wards.

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri May 03, 2019 9:43 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Smells like a bit of a hot take, but here’s one way of looking at the local election results so far:

UKIP (ultra brexit) -70%
CON (hard brexit) -25%
LAB (sneaky brexit) -10%
LD (Remain) +110%
GRN (Remain) +550%

What are those %ages, Eric? Share? Total votes? Seats?
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am

Devi wrote:

UKIP (ultra brexit) -70%
CON (hard brexit) -25%
LAB (sneaky brexit) -10%
LD (Remain) +110%
GRN (Remain) +550%

What are those %ages, Eric? Share? Total votes? Seats?

The source didn't state, hence my not taking it particularly seriously. Looking at Greens, I can only imagine that it could be total vote increase?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 am

Looks like a terrible night for Labour.

Governments always do badly in mid term elections - but this Conservative Government - the worst UK Government in my lifetime - was always going to be hammered. Any half decent Opposition would normally be a clear beneficiary - but instead Labour has lost seats too.

Some silly noises being made by McDonnell and the Lexiteers about the message from leave areas that Labour now needs to get on and deliver Brexit - sorry “jobs first Brexit” - as it’s called by the Leader who promised to put authenticity above spin.

Not sure that’s borne out by the transfer of votes from Labour to parties with a clear Remain platform - eg the Lib Dems and Greens.

And let’s not forget the biggest Remain areas in the UK - London and Scotland - didn’t vote in these elections. When the significant numbers of former Labour voting Remainers there get to pass their judgement on Corbyn’s pro Brexit policy - sorry “jobs first Brexit” policy - I suspect yesterday’s losses will look trivial.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
The source didn't state, hence my not taking it particularly seriously. Looking at Greens, I can only imagine that it could be total vote increase?

Prof Curtice says Eurosceptic votes increased.

I don’t think anyone is voting LD or Green by choice, it’s a protest vote against Lab and Con. from people who have no other choice in their area, and don’t want to spoil their ballots.

% increases (from historic lows) also is a misleading stat.

In my ward we have 3 independents for the same reason, the one ind. up for re election yesterday won with a massively increased majority.

Turnout volume and large increase in spoiled ballots cannot be ignored either.

Interesting night, depressing that Leeds votes for a corrupt and clueless council every time. What’s was that about a rosette on a pig?

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Vampire wrote:Looks like a terrible night for Labour.

Governments always do badly in mid term elections - but this Conservative Government - the worst UK Government in my lifetime - was always going to be hammered. Any half decent Opposition would normally be a clear beneficiary - but instead Labour has lost seats too.

Some silly noises being made by McDonnell and the Lexiteers about the message from leave areas that Labour now needs to get on and deliver Brexit - sorry “jobs first Brexit” - as it’s called by the Leader who promised to put authenticity above spin.

Not sure that’s borne out by the transfer of votes from Labour to parties with a clear Remain platform - eg the Lib Dems and Greens.

And let’s not forget the biggest Remain areas in the UK - London and Scotland - didn’t vote in these elections. When the significant numbers of former Labour voting Remainers there get to pass their judgement on Corbyn’s pro Brexit policy - sorry “jobs first Brexit” policy - I suspect yesterday’s losses will look trivial.

Apart from Corbyn, main problem for Labour is that the Party members have a fundamentally different view on Brexit to their traditional core vote.

And no one there has the intelligence or ability to form a position and stick to it.

If they took a pro brexit position they’d eliminate Farage at a stroke.

Return to “The Square Ball”