Because wives

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: Because wives

Postby the flying pig » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:30 am

Devi wrote:...
I have to find new gift in Tier 4 shops...

if it helps, all the argoses seem to be open for collecting stuff paid for online.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:30 am

Devi wrote:I buy child headphones for Xmas
I tell her I’ve bought them
She takes child out with child’s dad to buy Xmas present
Buys headphones
Gives child headphones ahead of Xmas
Child no longer needs or wants the headphones I bought
I’m pissed off at wasting money I don’t have
I have to find new gift in Tier 4 shops.

This is, of course, my fault.

That's a fucking belter :salute:

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:36 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Devi wrote:...
I have to find new gift in Tier 4 shops...

if it helps, all the argoses seem to be open for collecting stuff paid for online.

Amazon is my friend. Ive bought him darts. Or as I prefer to think, weapons.
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18 am

Arrived home at 7.30am from the supermarket with all of the things on the list. I took this to be an achievement of sorts, having left home somewhat earlier.

Some of the things on the list were described in great detail, and I complied fully with all requirements. Some of the things were described in less detail and it goes without saying that I find several of the purchases were incorrect, either in terms of type or of quantity. How is it possible that I could not know that the word ‘carrots’ should be taken to mean both bang average carrots for the gravy and nice carrots for the meal.

Even more foolishly, I purchased things that were not on the list but appealed to me for one reason or another. That was a mistake.
Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:30 am

This is where being with another scientist gets me off Scot-free: "Did you make that clear in the protocol? No? Well then it's your fault."

Buying a pie because you passed one, also acceptable behaviour, in fact these days she'd send me for a checkup if I didn't.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm

I've lost track, is this the thread where TFP asks for gift ideas for his wife? If not, sorry Ponte.

What do you do/get for a 40th birthday during a lockdown when previously assumed weekend European city breaks are no longer a realist option?

Poshwhite

Postby Poshwhite » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:34 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I've lost track, is this the thread where TFP asks for gift ideas for his wife? If not, sorry Ponte.

What do you do/get for a 40th birthday during a lockdown when previously assumed weekend European city breaks are no longer a realist option?

Whatever she’s been hinting about for the last couple of months.....
.... or if you’ve not been listening, expensive jewellery

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 pm

Would she suit the maroon away kit?

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:56 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Arrived home at 7.30am from the supermarket with all of the things on the list. I took this to be an achievement of sorts, having left home somewhat earlier.

Some of the things on the list were described in great detail, and I complied fully with all requirements. Some of the things were described in less detail and it goes without saying that I find several of the purchases were incorrect, either in terms of type or of quantity. How is it possible that I could not know that the word ‘carrots’ should be taken to mean both bang average carrots for the gravy and nice carrots for the meal.

Even more foolishly, I purchased things that were not on the list but appealed to me for one reason or another. That was a mistake.

22 years of marriage has taught me one vital lesson - always stick to the fucking list.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:09 pm

Arnieb wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Arrived home at 7.30am from the supermarket with all of the things on the list. I took this to be an achievement of sorts, having left home somewhat earlier.

22 years of marriage has taught me one vital lesson - always stick to the fucking list.

I am to the point where I either don't say I am going out to get food that I want to eat/cook, or I insist on a detailed list be ready by the time I want to go.
Also, with all this working-from-home and planning issues related to meetings with overseas offices, there is no standard routine for any given day, and I make my own meals when I want :)

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:52 am

Poshwhite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:I've lost track, is this the thread where TFP asks for gift ideas for his wife? If not, sorry Ponte.

Whatever she’s been hinting about for the last couple of months.....
.... or if you’ve not been listening, expensive jewellery

That's generally the problem, she doesn't really want anything, aside from things we can't afford (like a brand new car or a $17m new york apartment overlooking central park shrine linked to recently in here and I stupidly showed her). I took the risk of actually buying very little at Xmas after years of very late inspiration and it didn't turn out to be the trap I feared.

Jewellery would be the obvious I suppose but she's got plenty and doesn't really wear much at once.

Going away somewhere was always my long term thinking (Rome, Paris, Venice, something like that), preferably without the kids, although they'd kill each other if left at home together and neither would respond well to a couple of days in a completely empty house (1 would do something stupid, the other works just feel lost and isn't quite old enough anyway). The birthday weekend is within lockdown and even booking something further out has a high risk of not happening. Kicking it all down the road a year doesn't quite feel right but is perhaps the sensible idea.

The secondary problem is I have to think of something I want for my own 40th 6 weeks later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:05 am

Similar here although her 40th isn’t until later in the year. Planned to go to New York but being realistic, that’s doubtful.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:59 am

So, seems the 40th birthday solution was a new car. Brownie points well and truly in the bag (for now) but puts a big hole in the finances.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Madness.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:10 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:So, seems the 40th birthday solution was a new car. Brownie points well and truly in the bag (for now) but puts a big hole in the finances.

When she crashes it into a bus, you do understand that it's your fault because you got her such a stupid car to drive, right?
Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:11 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Madness.

It's not quite a Jag-u-ar?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:13 pm

It was going to be on the cards at some point anyway, the old one was almost 14 years of and there were signs of big problems in the future, just brought things forward 6-12 months really. I need lockdown to continue a bit longer now though, keep saving my own travel costs.

But yes, madness may be a fair assessment.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:14 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:So, seems the 40th birthday solution was a new car. Brownie points well and truly in the bag (for now) but puts a big hole in the finances.

When she crashes it into a bus, you do understand that it's your fault because you got her such a stupid car to drive, right?

She picked it.

.. But yes, I understand that.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:43 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:It was going to be on the cards at some point anyway, the old one was almost 14 years of and there were signs of big problems in the future, just brought things forward 6-12 months really. I need lockdown to continue a bit longer now though, keep saving my own travel costs.

On the other hand... I'll marry you when she's had enough and drives off to the horizon.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:It was going to be on the cards at some point anyway, the old one was almost 14 years of and there were signs of big problems in the future, just brought things forward 6-12 months really. I need lockdown to continue a bit longer now though, keep saving my own travel costs.

On the other hand... I'll marry you when she's had enough and drives off to the horizon.

Fuck that, he's skint now.

Return to “The Square Ball”