O/T: Fracking etc.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T: Fracking etc.

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:43 am

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:47 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Would hate to lose the article's headline:
Exxon Mobil CEO Sues to Keep Fracking Project Away From His Property, But Supports Fracking Elsewhere

liked this bit:
(he) has joined a lawsuit that cites fracking’s consequences in order to block the construction of a 160-foot water tower next to his and his wife’s Texas home.

But this kind of talk is clearly just alarmist nonsense from a bunch tree-hugging, children-loving, slumlords:
In shale regions, less wealthy residents have protested fracking development for impacts more consequential than noise, including water contamination and cancer risk. Exxon’s oil and gas operations and the resulting spills not only sinks property values, but the spills have leveled homes and destroyed regions.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks Eddies, was short on time for such elegant quoting action...

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:17 pm

Casual spot of acquifer contamination in Oz.

$1500 fine? Oh, I'm sure that'll guarantee it won't happen again :lol:
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:02 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Casual spot of acquifer contamination in Oz.

$1500 fine? Oh, I'm sure that'll guarantee it won't happen again :lol:

That's some mighty fine work there. Thank fuck for effective oversight, transparency, regulation and enforcement/reparation. Also, thank fuck for it not being where any real people live. :fish:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:06 am

More bent bollocks: the cosying up between Cuadrilla and these venal cunts we didn't elect continues.

The environment secretary, Owen Paterson, convened an urgent high-level meeting for the boss of fracking company Cuadrilla after a disagreement over shale gas regulation, the Guardian can reveal.

Cuadrilla's chairman, Lord Browne, had already met the Environment Agency's chair, Lord Chris Smith, at least three times to dispute whether regulations covering drilling waste applied to the company's operations. At the meeting Paterson organised at Browne's request, Smith offered to halve the consultation time for a waste permit, agreed to intervene with a county council over Cuadrilla's planning permission and to identify further risks to Cuadrilla's plans.

Paterson, widely considered a climate change sceptic, said recently: "I would like to see shale gas exploited all over rural parts of the UK. The opportunities here are enormous."

Documents released under freedom of information (FoI) rules show that on 3 June 2013 Browne, having met Smith earlier that day, then wrote to Paterson requesting an "urgent meeting". The subject, Browne said, was "Cuadrilla Resources applications to the Environment Agency (EA) for environmental permits required to progress the company's proposed shale gas exploratory activities. This is an application process that has been ongoing for the best part of a year."

Browne quickly followed up with a phonecall to Paterson and within seven days, Paterson hosted a teleconference with Browne and Cuadrilla chief executive Francis Egan, Smith, energy minister Michael Fallon and the government's lead shale gas official. In contrast, two leading renewable energy industry figures have told the Guardian their meetings with Fallon have been repeatedly postponed.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
The environment secretary, Owen Paterson, ... widely considered a climate change sceptic,

WTF :shock:

The environment secretary, Owen Paterson, ... widely considered a climate change sceptic, said recently: "I would like to see shale gas exploited all over rural parts of the UK. The opportunities here are enormous."

We were once proud our "green and pleasant lands". :roll: :x

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:
The environment secretary, Owen Paterson, ... widely considered a climate change sceptic,

WTF :shock:

The environment secretary, Owen Paterson, ... widely considered a climate change sceptic, said recently: "I would like to see shale gas exploited all over rural parts of the UK. The opportunities here are enormous."

We were once proud our "green and pleasant lands". :roll: :x

The Man in Whitehall knows best.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Taxpayer and oil industry commission study on safety of fracking, find significant failure rates and exemplify the problem: not so much will they fail, but how bad will it be when they do.

"The research confirms that well failure in hydrocarbon wells is an issue and that publicly available data in Europe on this seems to be sparse," said Professor Richard Davies of Durham University, and who led the team of academics who undertook the work. "In the UK, wells are monitored by well inspectors but there is no information in the public domain, so we don't really know the full extent of well failures. There were unknowns we couldn't get to the bottom of."
While a lot of well data is made public in the US, it was not detailed enough for the researchers to distinguish serious and minor well failures. "But in the UK we don't even have that," said Davies.

The study, published on Tuesday in the journal Marine and Petroleum Geology, reported that 2,152 wells have been drilled onshore in the UK since 1902. But no producing shale gas wells exist yet in the UK and, for a comparison, Davies said: "It is sensible to look at the data from Pennsylvania." One dataset highlighed found that 8,030 fracking wells targetting the Marcellus shale in Pennsylvania were inspected between 2005-2013 and 6.3% (506 wells) were reported for internal or external well barrier failures.

Analysis of another Pennsylvania dataset of 3,533 wells between 2008-2011 found that one-third were issued with environmental violation notices. These were mostly for surface water contamination, land spills or problems with site restoration. But 2.6% (91 wells) suffered some internal or external well barrier failures, including four blowouts. "Measurable concentrations of gas were present at the surface for most wells with casing or cementing violations," the researchers wrote.

In the UK, data provided to the researchers by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (Decc), the Environment Agency and operating companies showed 143 onshore oil and gas wells were producing in 2000. Of nine recorded oil spills, two (at the same site) were linked to well barrier problems. "But that may be an underestimate," said Davies. "The intuition is that it is not a problem, but intuition is not good enough." The study also noted that the ownership of over half the wells drilled in the UK since 1902 was now unclear and that no monitoring was now taking place for at least two-thirds of the wells ever drilled.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:43 am

So the Govt report on the effect of fracking on your house price is heavily redacted.

It's important for the public interest that the public don't find out of what all of the report says, as " it is important that officials can consider implications of potential impacts and scenarios around the development of the shale gas industry and to develop options without the risk that disclosure of early thinking could close down discussion."

Translation: we're scared you'll smell the coffee and tell us to fuck off.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Yep, you only have to mention house prices to get the NIMBYS manning the barricades.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:55 pm

I wonder why she bothers?

Most queer.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:13 am

Proposed new law would allow companies to inject whatever substances they like under your home, and leave it there when they fuck off.

Tony Bosworth, at Friends of the Earth, said the amendment would allow companies to dispose of fracking fluid, often contaminated with toxic metals and radioactive elements. “The government appears to be trying to sneak through an amendment which would allow fracking firms to reinject their waste under people’s homes and businesses. Reinjection has caused countless problems in the US and you have to question how far this government will go to make fracking a reality.”

And you have to wonder how much of a throat-job Baroness Kramer is prepared to give these cunts before she remembers what her job is supposed to be, the fat fucking mess.

Supernorm

Postby Supernorm » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Baroness Kramer??

Any relataion to Cosmo?

Gripper wrote: "I did a Shaolin Qi-Gong taster sesh a few weeks back. Dead good it was" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Supernorm wrote:Baroness Kramer??

Any relataion to Cosmo?

That there is a fucking uncanny resemblance...

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Mark Walport, the Government Chief Scientific Adviser, and a fucking good scientist bloke, has published his report on fracking.

Walport/Stirling wrote:“History presents plenty of examples of innovation trajectories that later proved to be problematic — for instance involving asbestos, benzene, thalidomide, dioxins, lead in petrol, tobacco, many pesticides, mercury, chlorine and endocrine-disrupting compounds...” it says.

“In all these and many other cases, delayed recognition of adverse effects incurred not only serious environmental or health impacts, but massive expense and reductions in competitiveness for firms and economies persisting in the wrong path.”

Thalidomide was one of the worst drug scandals in modern history, killing 80,000 babies and maiming 20,000 babies after it was taken by expectant mothers.

Fracking provides a potentially similar example today, the report warns: “... innovations reinforcing fossil fuel energy strategies — such as hydraulic fracturing — arguably offer a contemporary prospective example.”

There is a “clear feasibility of strategies built entirely around energy efficiency and renewable energy”, the report, published earlier this month, says. “Yet one of the main obstacles to this lies in high-profile self-fulfilling assertions to the contrary, including by authoritative policy figures.”

“In energy... the obstacles to less-favoured strategies [such as energy efficiency and renewables] are typically more commercial, institutional and cultural than they are technical. Among the most potent of these political obstructions are claims from partisan interests — such as incumbent nuclear or fossil fuel industries — that there is no alternative to their favoured innovations and policies.”

Nice one, Mark.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:45 am

Liars lie, Tories are not democrats, and other shocking revelations.

I hope the folks in the far north of England like the taste of hydrocarbons and unidentified potential carcinogens. Cos their elected representatives like the money, so fuck you...

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:16 am

Return to “The Square Ball”