O/T: Fracking etc.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
SimonB

Re: O/T: Fracking etc.

Postby SimonB » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:02 pm

AndyPaul wrote:Without being the font of all knowledge in this subject from my view we are making a right balls up of obtaining energy.

This country should be investing more in wind and wave energy. People complain about wind farms being ugly but i don't mind them at all. You don't need to put a wind farm next to areas of beauty like Stone Henge just stick them in shit holes, if anything they'll improve the view.

As for wave energy, you just need to turn on the news and see the coast getting battered by waves. All that energy wasted.

Admittedly fracking is not a subject I know much about but I'm not convinced other avenues have been looked at properly.

I agree with this but think fracking is probably part of the solution but not our saviour in terms of meeting our energy requirements. Personally I quite like the look of wind farms.
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Waah waah waah, cry away little boy. Jesus, it's pitiful...

The lack of transparency surrounding this stuff, and the "known unknowns" Rummy would spot in a second, make this an experiment conducted on the population by private companies.

There is however a pleasing coming together of different interest groups at Balcombe and places like it, that gives me hope for civil disobedience in this country. Building consensus is essential, and this place (retardarino notwithstanding) seems to mirror what I hear elsewhere.

See you on the barricades then brothers...

I'll be the one laughing at the idea that the fact I don't want my brother's well poisoned is driven by jealousy :lol: Twat
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Mind you, watching him lose his cool is pretty funny :lol:

Blackwhite wrote:Waah waah waah, cry away little boy. Jesus, it's pitiful...

My, what superhuman powers you must have to know the emotions of someone behind an internet screen on the other side of the world.
:roll:

Blackwhite wrote:There is however a pleasing coming together of different interest groups at Balcombe and places like it, that gives me hope for civil disobedience in this country. Building consensus is essential, and this place (retardarino notwithstanding) seems to mirror what I hear elsewhere.

See you on the barricades then brothers...

I'll be the one laughing at the idea that the fact I don't want my brother's well poisoned is driven by jealousy :lol: Twat

Returning to the debate, I've already acknowledged that there are some with genuine environmental concerns and these should be addressed. Legitimate concerns should be capable of remedy through scientists, Government and the industry working together to improve environmental standards and regulations. For example, some of the water contamination cases that have been identified have been due to wells not being properly sealed and this is easily preventable.

We should, however, keep this in perspective. The Massachussettes Institute of Technology (MIT) published a report in 2011 showing that only a handful of the 20,000 wells drilled in the previous ten years had been contaminated. http://mitei.mit.edu/publications/repor ... atural-gas

It's also worth noting that methane leaks naturally into the water supply making it difficult to distinguish between contamination occurring naturally and that caused by fracking. I think from memory the link you posted at the start of the thread confirmed this.

We also need to keep in mind the bigger picture and the relative environmental impact. Energy from shale gas creates less carbon emissions than energy from coal - and less environmental risk than nuclear energy. So, by all means strive to make fracking even safer but to dismiss it out of hand may harm the environment more whilst losing the opportunity for greater economic prosperity through cheaper energy.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:30 pm

I thought I told you that you were unwelcome and you should fuck off... I wasn't joking.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Of course methane can leak naturally into our water supply - but not in the ridiculous volumes found once fracking starts. Also, it is the heavier minerals that come with the methane that are the bigger problem.

The fracking companies spent sixpence trying to solve the issue of water-table pollution and then gave it up as it was too expensive, and started fudging the issue with 'well it occurs naturally - how are we to tell the difference?'.

Folk are protesting this everywhere - decide if you want to join them.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Also relevant for anyone with an original critical thought in their head: BP tried to buy off scientists who said Deepwater Horizon was an ecological disaster, and made folks very sick with their Correxit agent, which they never opened up to scrutiny.

And by parallel, we don't know what they are fracking with, and studies which don't go the right way get shut down.
The Ocker retard knows fuck all about anything. How kind of him to share it.

Carl.os G

Postby Carl.os G » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I thought I told you that you were unwelcome and you should fuck off... I wasn't joking.

Pre-school playground standard cussing and pure, unadulterated, impotent posturing!!!!!

Cave! Cave! The Prowler .... austere!!!- frolicking in his self-important magnificence!!! Lord have mercy on your tortured soul ...
LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINAS

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi Carlos. I defer to your superior skills in the impotent posturing department...

But then single issue puppet accounts get boring quite quickly, don't they? Even if one can actually write... :wheels:

WHITETHROUGH

Postby WHITETHROUGH » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

With regards to energy I quite like this:

http://searaser.net/

In fact all those fucking useless wind turbines should be put to better use and be used for uphill water pumping, the water from the sea to be stored in a resovoir where the energy capacity can be slowly released though a mature technology which is hydro. Apparently there are some huge long mountainous valleys on the West coast of Ireland suitable for this but the government both here and over there lack any real vision...sigh.
I have also said this before we should be planting coppiced woods all along any motorway or duel carriageway with an embankment. Burning wood on a wood burner is very efficient but you need to be able to replace it hence the coppicing.

While I am on my high horse we should bin HS2 and build decent wide deep canals from Scotland Waled and the N of England to take water over to east Anglia and the S East, how many people will object to a canal past the end of their drive. They could start this very quickly and the canals would provide people with some where to live with regard to housing.
Ex-Servicemen dont die,they go to hell and re-group

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck 'im out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;

Surrender is for wimps,I vote we die!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:51 pm

WHITETHROUGH wrote: the canals would provide people with some where to live with regard to housing.

Won't they get very wet?

WHITETHROUGH

Postby WHITETHROUGH » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
WHITETHROUGH wrote: the canals would provide people with some where to live with regard to housing.

Won't they get very wet?

wet suits :fish:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 pm

I can actually see canal boats being a popular Tory option for overflow housing... at least you're not reliant on a contaminated aquifer.

WHITETHROUGH

Postby WHITETHROUGH » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I can actually see canal boats being a popular Tory option for overflow housing... at least you're not reliant on a contaminated aquifer.

I know quite a few people who live on narrow boats.....I even considered it my self. Fracking is not a good idea and a lot of what i have read regarding the USA is a dwindling ROI.

Weaning people of oil is very difficult, there is so much value in a gallon of petrol. To appreciate this if you are bored and have a few hours to kill put a gallon of petrol in your car and drive it till it runs out....then push your car back to the garage to really appreciate the amount of energy is required to move that lump of metal 50 odd miles :wink:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm

This is why we have Thought Experiments, so we don't have to push the car further than the end of the road, then Think about how much of a bitch it would be :lol:

The alternatives to fossil fuels are clearly a potential answer, but they're still very expensive from a chronic lack of investment. And nuclear can fuck off if it thinks it's getting LESS regulated: it needs regulating more than any other source.

But this mass experiment in the interest of a small number of utter cunts? No, not having that.

WHITETHROUGH

Postby WHITETHROUGH » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Blackwhite wrote:This is why we have Thought Experiments, so we don't have to push the car further than the end of the road, then Think about how much of a bitch it would be :lol:

The alternatives to fossil fuels are clearly a potential answer, but they're still very expensive from a chronic lack of investment. And nuclear can fuck off if it thinks it's getting LESS regulated: it needs regulating more than any other source.

But this mass experiment in the interest of a small number of utter cunts? No, not having that.

I suppose the sun has to be a potential winner one day if a renewable resource is the best bet. The problem is the light to energy ratio of solar panels at the very best is only around 12-15% which is pretty abysmal. The problem of energy quite often is the storage method used can quite often be expensive. That's why water storage with a good head is quite desirable.

I now think we may have to get used to the idea of using less energy which is easier said than done.....maybe if it gets cold the government could issue us with big fluffy jumpers!

Personally the best investment me and Mrs W have made was an electrics blanket at 100W....now that is real value!

Kummel

Postby Kummel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:This is why we have Thought Experiments, so we don't have to push the car further than the end of the road, then Think about how much of a bitch it would be :lol:

Fracking! Whatever next. This is just the latest overhyped scare story, just like mad cow disease, the Y2k bug and the least proven of the lot, man induced global warming.
My advice to you young man is to use 2014 stop worrying about methods of fossil fuel extraction, and free your thoughts from sexual deviants , especially Jimmy Saville, take stock, find new interests, pay a second visit to Elland Rd, seek Jesus, whatever does it for you.
Of course if you really are that concerned about fossil fuels, you can always elect to do without them, the energy they create and of course any products in anyway produced using them
Kummel

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:41 pm

Hmm, a straw man argument, suggesting I have a problem with fossil fuels in general, rather than one technique previously thought uneconomic even by the companies now tripping over their dicks to get permission...? And all this with no other worthwhile point to make, from a puppet account which never posts on Leeds threads?

You're the least worthwhile troll poster of the lot, you know. The others all have something.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:31 am

Blackwhite wrote:I thought I told you that you were unwelcome and you should fuck off... I wasn't joking.

And what are you going to do about it? You're such a big man hurling abuse from behind the safety of an internet screen.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm as entitled to give my views as anyone else. Ever heard of free speech?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:32 am

Blackwhite wrote:
The alternatives to fossil fuels are clearly a potential answer.......

Blackwhite wrote:Hmm, a straw man argument, suggesting I have a problem with fossil fuels in general...

Hmmm :scratch:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:33 am

Eddies Boots wrote:Of course methane can leak naturally into our water supply - but not in the ridiculous volumes found once fracking starts. Also, it is the heavier minerals that come with the methane that are the bigger problem.

The fracking companies spent sixpence trying to solve the issue of water-table pollution and then gave it up as it was too expensive, and started fudging the issue with 'well it occurs naturally - how are we to tell the difference?'.

Folk are protesting this everywhere - decide if you want to join them.

Where's the evidence that contamination has reached “ridiculous volumes?” The evidence from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) I posted earlier based on 20,000 drilled wells shows only a handful were contaminated by fracking and these concerns could be addressed by better enforcement and tougher regulations. I’m not disputing there are some legitimate concerns (as with all the major and economically viable forms of energy), but let’s keep it in perspective.

Return to “The Square Ball”