The Championship

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ontolly

Re: The Championship

Postby Ontolly » Thu May 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:
Ontolly wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:https://twitter.com/PhilHay_/status/1265950739588841472

Two players from Fulham and one other at Blackburn, it seems. Very good Davies.

As I understand it they now have to pass on details of every cunt they've been in contact with and they will have to self-isolate for 14 days. Should be out in time for the kick off :thumbl:

Davis doesn't do 'e'.

In any event, didn't Bielsa call him Leeds, rather than Lief and not Davis?[/quote]
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Ontolly wrote:We drug testing the cunts as well now?

Since Alioski joined, I think. Nobody could believe he was like that without some kind of enhancement.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 pm

dirty leeds wrote:https://twitter.com/PhilHay_/status/1265950739588841472

You expect me to believe independent evidence over my memory? Ha.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Am I wrong in thinking that, according to government guidelines, if one player or member of staff tests positive then the rest should self-isolate for 14 days?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu May 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that, according to government guidelines, if one player or member of staff tests positive then the rest should self-isolate for 14 days?

Given they've been maintaining distances for the last week that's maybe not necessary? Next week after they've done some of the now approved close contact work however...

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 pm

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 28, 2020 4:46 pm

Some talk now that certain 'big' EPL games might still have to be on neutral grounds to prevent crowds gathering and that a few Championship matches might have to follow suit - inc Leeds and WBA.
That does not seem fair: penalise the best two teams, whose fans have done fuck all?

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu May 28, 2020 4:54 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Some talk now that certain 'big' EPL games might still have to be on neutral grounds to prevent crowds gathering and that a few Championship matches might have to follow suit - inc Leeds and WBA.
That does not seem fair: penalise the best two teams, whose fans have done fuck all?

Germany have some loyal and insane fans. I'm not aware they have been gathering outside grounds so wouldn't expect it in England. Anyway, anywhere in England you'll find a shit load of Leeds fans....

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu May 28, 2020 5:11 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Some talk now that certain 'big' EPL games might still have to be on neutral grounds to prevent crowds gathering and that a few Championship matches might have to follow suit - inc Leeds and WBA.

WTAF?
I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 28, 2020 5:17 pm

Yeah, it's not so much that it's a neutral ground in itself, for me it's more about the extra travel/fatigue surrounding that. Why should we be travelling to [say] Sheffield or wherever the fuck they tell us when we should be playing at home? The games will be coming thick and fast for these remaining weeks, so we don't need extra hassle not endured by other teams.
I know that so far the away teams are doing very well in germany, but it's only been three matches.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri May 29, 2020 6:08 am

dirty leeds wrote:Yeah, it's not so much that it's a neutral ground in itself, for me it's more about the extra travel/fatigue surrounding that. Why should we be travelling to [say] Sheffield or wherever the fuck they tell us when we should be playing at home? The games will be coming thick and fast for these remaining weeks, so we don't need extra hassle not endured by other teams.

I can't see the idea of neutral grounds for some matches being acceptable to either the clubs or the police. Amongst other, the report mentions London derbies - I'm not sure that Spurs v West ham being played on another London ground will achieve anything and there seems little benefit in moving the whole circus at say Villa Park. As regards Leeds games, I don't think South Yorkshire police will accept the idea of having to manage a few thousand Leeds fans, so perhaps our promotion related home games could be moved to Bournemouth - that went well in the past.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 6:26 am

Let's hope it's kicked into touch.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 6:44 am

Anyway, from The Athletic's report on yesterday's EPL meeting - re relegation:

"On Thursday, some clubs towards the wrong end of the table are understood to have made it “very, very difficult, raising various motions on what should and should not be done.” At the heart of it was scrapping relegation but this was “absolutely blown out of the water” by other clubs, some of whom felt the arguments came across as “complete desperation”.
Some sides were particularly concerned about the threat of relegation if the league starts and stops again and they find themselves in a worse position than the current table owing to “imbalanced” fixtures. There was no decision on how the season would be decided if the season were to be curtailed, though a majority are understood to be in favour of settling it by an unweighted points per game table (below)."

Vote next week on that.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 29, 2020 6:48 am

Dreamt we lost against Fulham last night (can’t remember what happened v Cardiff). It begins.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 am

Angus Kinnear's latest thoughts via the YEP:

The footballing world has concluded that the time for extended debate has passed and that we are now in a position to return to play.

The Bundesliga continue to lead the way in demonstrating that the sporting challenges of Covid-19 are surmountable and the Premier League have voted for a return to contact training and a start date of June 17, with the expectation that the Championship will follow shortly after.

The EFL and the FA should be applauded for confirming that the principle of sporting merit honouring relegation and promotion was the solution in the event of curtailment.

However, it was always a dramatically inferior alternative to completing the season on the pitch.

At a less macro level, the positive reaction of Blackburn midfielder Elliot Bennett to being one of three players testing positive (out of 1,030 players and staff in the Championship), is to be commended.

Demonstrating the positive progress the game is making in managing this horrid disease he commented: “It’s no big deal at all. It’s the people who are seriously ill in hospital that we need to worry about, not footballers who are fit and healthy.”

From a Leeds United perspective, this week’s return to small group training was a significant step forward in our endeavours to complete business on the pitch.

The mood at Thorp Arch was typically buoyant and whilst the protocols were seriously adhered to, the players were clearly relaxed and feeling confident that they are operating in the safest environment possible.

Whilst our pre-COVID run of five victories without conceding a goal is a solid foundation to build upon, nobody at Thorp Arch is under any illusions of the magnitude of the task that lies before us.

The singular nature of this circumstance necessitates an aberrant approach to the unique technical challenges.

Initially our performance team have had to manage maintaining players’ fitness remotely as they trained at home.

Bespoke individual plans were supplemented with centrally monitored GPS tracking, unwittingly proving that Mateusz Klich was the only man in Britain to cover more lockdown miles than Dominic Cummings.

The coaches have then had to devise individual drills to recapture the players touch and simulate match environments with no opposition and no contact.

Our nutritionists have worked to deliver menu plans without the luxury of our training ground kitchen and restaurant and the medical team have had to overlay complex Covid protocols on top of their day to day roles of rehabilitation and treatment.

However the quality of back room team we have assembled at Thorp Arch over the last two years, under the leadership of Marcelo and Rob Price (Head of Medicine and Performance), is now truly paying dividends and I am confident we have the expertise and attitude to embrace the complexity and overcome the obstacles.

Off the pitch, Victor has turned his focus away from his lockdown pogonotrophy to managing the, previously unlegislated for, issues around extending loan player contracts and retaining options for permanent signings beyond their original expiry date.

Currently we are finding that the majority of clubs are working to the spirit of the game and not seeking to unscrupulously profit from the pandemic.

Critically, we will need to extend the pragmatic and committed methodology we are showing in the preparatory phase to how we approach competitive matches themselves.

These will be played in higher temperatures on harder grounds and at unfamiliar kick-off times.

Opposition will undoubtedly return from the impromptu break in various levels of fitness and with differing degrees of motivation.

This, combined with unknown impact of the removal of crowds, (which seemingly has lessened the significance of home advantage in the resumption of the Bundesliga) is likely to lead to some unexpected results.

Fortunately we have the wit and guile of Marcelo to navigate our ship through these uncharted waters.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 29, 2020 11:45 am

I bet Kinnear's gonna be gutted when his programme notes stop being in the YEP. He obviously loves writing them.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 11:49 am

Mateusz Klich was the only man in Britain to cover more lockdown miles than Dominic Cummings.
:lol: :lol: take a bow Angus
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 12:22 pm

Someone I know well in the under 23s recons Augustin is absolutely flying.

Smashing the ball in from all distance and angles.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Anyone posted this yet?

At its meeting on Wednesday 27 May 2020, having carefully considered submissions from Clubs, the EFL Board agreed to progress with the proposed framework it outlined on Thursday 21 May 2020 in respect of changes to EFL Regulations in the event Season 2019/20 is curtailed in any EFL Division.

At the same time as advising on its proposed approach last week, the Board had asked Clubs to give it appropriate consideration and provide any feedback. Communications were submitted from Clubs across all divisions and those proposals, some of which have been made available publicly, suggested how the framework in the event the season is ended prematurely could alternatively work.

The Board has to date been consistent in its approach that playing out the remainder of Season 2019/20 when it is safe to do so, is the preferred position and whilst the Championship have advised of their intentions to resume fixtures, League Two Clubs have indicated their preference to curtail the season. At present Clubs in League One are still undecided.

A decision on whether or not to curtail the season is a matter to be considered by Clubs in any affected division, but only once a framework for resolving open issues in such circumstances has been agreed by all members across all divisions through a Regulation change.

After a full and comprehensive review of the Club submissions, alongside consideration of views stated at the Club meetings of 13 and 15 May 2020, the Board unanimously agreed to continue with the original approach and is now proposing to call a meeting of Clubs on Monday 8 June 2020 to consider and, if thought fit, approve the proposals to introduce the Regulation change.

The EFL Articles allow Member Clubs the opportunity to propose amendments to Regulations and should any Club wish to propose an alternative, it must do so by submitting such a proposal by no later than 2.00pm on Tuesday 2 June 2020.

The EFL will issue any notice of meeting later that day. Any such Club proposals will be considered at the same meeting as the Board’s proposal.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri May 29, 2020 12:48 pm

welshwhite wrote:Someone I know well in the under 23s recons Augustin is absolutely flying.

Smashing the ball in from all distance and angles.

Yeah, yeah, this goal-scoring is all very well but can he hold the ball up?

Return to “The Square Ball”