The Championship

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: The Championship

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:17 pm

the flying pig wrote:Half man half biscuit are one of the top ten bands of all time, easily.

They have their moments, sure, but the whole humour vs pop music axis is an extremely dubious place to spend any significant length of time IMO.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
the flying pig wrote:Half man half biscuit are one of the top ten bands of all time, easily.

They have their moments, sure, but the whole humour vs pop music axis is an extremely dubious place to spend any significant length of time IMO.

"humour" suggests they're some form of barron knights, trying to make jokes in music. their style came out of nigel's fear of being ridiculed by his mates when he started a band in the 80's as he knew a lot of lyrics back then were lame. there's a lot observation and satire. the john cooper clarke comparison was pretty close i reckon and i don't reckon people would describe him as primarily funny. anyway why shouldn't there be some sort of wit involved in song lyrics? people make humourous comments all the time, music shouldn't be precious.

but yeah, they're hit and miss musically, but still worth buying imo.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Quiffy wrote:"humour" suggests they're some form of barron knights, trying to make jokes in music. their style came out of nigel's fear of being ridiculed by his mates when he started a band in the 80's as he knew a lot of lyrics back then were lame. there's a lot observation and satire. the john cooper clarke comparison was pretty close i reckon and i don't reckon people would describe him as primarily funny. anyway why shouldn't there be some sort of wit involved in song lyrics? people make humourous comments all the time, music shouldn't be precious.

I don't disagree. I am suggesting a very broad link between HMHB and the Barron Knights, I suppose, which is why I think it's a fine line to walk. You mention JCC but something like Beasley Street is, I'd suggest, pretty much social realism rather than satire. That approach doesn't come out anywhere in HMHB. They can be pretty cringy / cloying at times: 'Yonder, the deacon, in misguided trousers' etc.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:56 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:...the whole humour vs pop music axis is an extremely dubious place to spend any significant length of time IMO.

oh yeah. i mean, the really overt stuff like, um, Al Yankovic or whoever is always, when it comes down to it, unlistenable, but with UK acts in particular every now you do get more or less straight music that's lightly laced with humour, HMHB don't take it *much* further than that.

unrelated, i noticed that the Macc Lads have been quietly gigging of late :cyclops: .

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:58 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:"humour" suggests they're some form of barron knights, trying to make jokes in music. their style came out of nigel's fear of being ridiculed by his mates when he started a band in the 80's as he knew a lot of lyrics back then were lame. there's a lot observation and satire. the john cooper clarke comparison was pretty close i reckon and i don't reckon people would describe him as primarily funny. anyway why shouldn't there be some sort of wit involved in song lyrics? people make humourous comments all the time, music shouldn't be precious.

I don't disagree. I am suggesting a very broad link between HMHB and the Barron Knights, I suppose, which is why I think it's a fine line to walk. You mention JCC but something like Beasley Street is, I'd suggest, pretty much social realism rather than satire. That approach doesn't come out anywhere in HMHB. They can be pretty cringy / cloying at times: 'Yonder, the deacon, in misguided trousers' etc.

harsh but fair. think i must admit to having described someone's trousers as misguided. then again i'm less misanthropic these days.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

The Tin Man

Postby The Tin Man » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 pm

But this is funny from "This one's for Now"

You’re so beige
I bet you think this song’s about someone else
Standard Liège
See how it all unfolds when I try to include you?
I’ll fit you in some day, somehow
A thousand words but not right now
I’ve got a few lines on Gerry Gow
I had three in one packet in ’78
I went back to the shop in a manner irate
Newsagent said: “Have you got a two pence piece?”
I said: “Yes”
He said: “Go and ring someone who cares”
As told to a boil on the cab driver’s neck
As told to a boil on the cab driver’s neck again
For every step,the footprint was already there.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 pm

The Tin Man wrote:But this is funny from "This one's for Now"

You’re so beige
I bet you think this song’s about someone else
Standard Liège
See how it all unfolds when I try to include you?
I’ll fit you in some day, somehow
A thousand words but not right now
I’ve got a few lines on Gerry Gow
I had three in one packet in ’78
I went back to the shop in a manner irate
Newsagent said: “Have you got a two pence piece?”
I said: “Yes”
He said: “Go and ring someone who cares”
As told to a boil on the cab driver’s neck
As told to a boil on the cab driver’s neck again

Big favourite of mine too, i was blown away to first hear it on t'wireless relatively recently, good tune and genuinely quite sophisticated lyrically.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 pm

I don't suppose the cup scoreline went down too well with hmhb.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:30 pm

the flying pig wrote:I don't suppose the cup scoreline went down too well with hmhb.

At least there’s one for every occasion

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm

What are the chances the Sheffield Utd game will get moved for TV? Looking at coming up with the kids as it's my birthday weekend.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:What are the chances the Sheffield Utd game will get moved for TV? Looking at coming up with the kids as it's my birthday weekend.

Very high I’d say especially as we’re both well up in the table. Would be announced before February 1st for that month.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:06 pm

That's what I was thinking - any idea when they announce the next round of fixtures - only up to 4th (Steel city derby) on there so far

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:07 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:That's what I was thinking - any idea when they announce the next round of fixtures - only up to 4th (Steel city derby) on there so far

Just edited my above post as I wouldn’t mind going to thatvgame too

My grandad was from Leeds

Postby My grandad was from Leeds » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Every time a bell rings!

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:12 pm

Norridge away to WBA tomorrow. Lovely.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Norridge away to WBA tomorrow. Lovely.

Away win please
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Crikey - why?

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:09 am

Our beef isn’t with Norwich, but those sat in third and below. I’d be delighted if they can knock off the likes of WBA and Sheff Utd all season long if it helps us
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:10 am

Maybe, West Brom are the bigger threat. Stronger squad etc.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 am

Oh I dunno. I’d love us to be sitting on a three point plus cushion, personally.

Return to “The Square Ball”