Disco Dan
Site Admin

The Championship

Postby Disco Dan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:32 pm

So that's QPR up then.

portadown white

Re: The Championship

Postby portadown white » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 pm

It's difficult to see how QPR are operating anywhere near the FL's own Fair Play Rules with max attendances of 17K. But then again, no sanctions will operate this year and will be trivial thereafter. If a team gets promoted, they couldn't care less! The financial madhouse goes on.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/FLExplainedDetail/0,,10794~2748246,00.html

Lucas1979

Postby Lucas1979 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 am

I can't wait for these rules to take effect then the clubs with low fan bases will really struggle and there will hopefully be more of a level playing field.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

Porkchopexpress

Postby Porkchopexpress » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:25 am

The fact that FFP doesn't count for the season after relegation, coupled with increased parachute payments is just bollocks.
TERRY VENABLES.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:34 am

Porkchopexpress wrote:The fact that FFP doesn't count for the season after relegation, coupled with increased parachute payments is just bollocks.

I was talking with a fan of Udinese B the other day, asked how he thought FFP would affect them, and was told they'd "be promoted before it was an issue; besides, we've signed all the best ones we've had on loan".

I now really want an asteroid to hit their coach. Let them rot down here and deal with the aftermath.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Lucas1979

Postby Lucas1979 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:34 am

Porkchopexpress wrote:The fact that FFP doesn't count for the season after relegation, coupled with increased parachute payments is just bollocks.

I had not looked into the details of FFP, I just assumed it did what it said on the tin.

So Parachute payments do not count and the top level clubs can spend like mad in their first season of relegation to try and get back onto the gravy train? Indeed total bollocks. You have to ask what the fuck is the point of FFP as it doesn't create a level playing field at all then!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:47 am

Disco Dan wrote:So that's QPR up then.

bit early innit? team news?
they only pipped us by the thickness of the bar this weekend? squeaked 0-1 at Bolton, couple of good results but could easily have been 2 points from 6 not 6, they ain't exactly dominating..... just yet
but your probably right

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:05 am

sunshine whites wrote:
Disco Dan wrote:So that's QPR up then.

bit early innit? team news?
they only pipped us by the thickness of the bar this weekend? squeaked 0-1 at Bolton, couple of good results but could easily have been 2 points from 6 not 6, they ain't exactly dominating..... just yet
but your probably right

Well... I do take your point - that it's often a very close thing, could have gone either way - but they didn't really squeak past Bolton; they fully deserved the win. They also deserved to beat us.

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:10 am

So where do we come on the list of big spenders? QPR n Forest have spent a lot, Wigan have spent a few million, n Watford got their stars for nowt. Boro n Huddersfield have spent a million or so a piece. So we must be in the top 4-5 spenders in the league? Looks like Forest have invested very well, and have a strong squad.

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 am

dirty leeds wrote:Well... I do take your point - that it's often a very close thing, could have gone either way - but they didn't really squeak past Bolton; they fully deserved the win. They also deserved to beat us.

End result is both games ended 0-1, ours could easily have been 1-1, they ain't running away with just yet by blowing teams out, although they winning ugly, especially away from home which is very enviable. They did not score enough to avoid the drop last season, and having shed something 15+ players and spent another small fortune by this league standard they are not high scoring side yet. I don't think anybody on either side would have complained at a draw on Saturday, had we had striker (e.g.Hunt Varney or Poleon) on form there were enough chances to get something from that game?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am

jackos wrote:So where do we come on the list of big spenders? QPR n Forest have spent a lot, Wigan have spent a few million, n Watford got their stars for nowt. Boro n Huddersfield have spent a million or so a piece. So we must be in the top 4-5 spenders in the league? Looks like Forest have invested very well, and have a strong squad.

I've not properly checked the details, but looking at the list of incomings around the division, I'd say the following have spent more than us:
QPR
Watford (possibly not technically given that they've all come from Udinese and were mostly loan players last season, but they've recruited heavily)
Forest
Bolton
Wigan (although overall, they've made a tidy profit but had a considerably better base to start with)
Bournemouth (they apparently paid £2.5m for Tokelo Rantie)

In addition, the following have probably spent about the same as us:
Boro
Huddersfield
Derby

A few started from a much better base but haven't done much and will benefit massively from a bit of stability:
Leicester
Blackburn
Brighton
Reading

Then there's Ipswich who seem to have done a lot of positive business in the free transfer market.

The rest have pretty much spent nothing, a few small deals, plenty of turnover in some cases but from the outside looking in, haven't improved - Blackpool (although they've kept Ince), Charlton, Birmingham, Barnsley, Burnley, Millwall, Sheff Wed & Yeovil.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 am

i shouldn't think that our squad is all that close to being one of the top six most expensive [in terms of all the wages & fees used to bring the current set of players together] in the division.

this summer, well, i suppose defining 'spending' as somethign like the fees we've shelled out plus how much we've added to the wage bill, well, based on1:

in - smiffy [who earns probably next to nothing], hunty, lukey million, & wootty.
out - connolly, 'chubbs, & the crocks [PK, bromby, somma].

i'd say, well, i'm not reet sure actually

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 am

the flying pig wrote:i shouldn't think that our squad is one of the top six most expensive [in terms of all the wages & fees used to bring the current set of players together] in the division.

this summer, well, i suppose defining 'spending' as somethign like the fees we've shelled out plus how much we've added to the wage bill, well, based on1:

in - smiffy [who earns probably next to nothing], hunty, lukey million, & wootty.

:thumbl:

Me either, but its very clear that we've strengthened fairly significantly over those deals.

Very much looks like 8th-10th this season but a real shot at the top 6 next, providing we continue to build on what we have rather than a return to flogging our better players without adequately replacing them (I'm not sure Byram will be around after next summer if he plays to last seasons levels once fit).

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:06 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
the flying pig wrote:i shouldn't think that our squad is one of the top six most expensive [in terms of all the wages & fees used to bring the current set of players together] in the division.

:thumbl:

Me either, but its very clear that we've strengthened fairly significantly over those deals.

Very much looks like 8th-10th this season but a real shot at the top 6 next, providing we continue to build on what we have rather than a return to flogging our better players without adequately replacing them (I'm not sure Byram will be around after next summer if he plays to last seasons levels once fit).

yeah - i don't think that jackos' question was really about comparing pounds, pence, & shillings so much as it was asking how much we'd strengthened or weakened compared to most clubs.

given that none of the players who've left [i somehow forgot to mention stevie moz] were even fringe first teamers, the addition of what looks like about three solid first teamers [none of them perhaps on a par with our very best players, but decent enough] & one wild card bench option probably, well... it's complicated by the loss of lucy midway through last season. being brutally honest we now look [imo] a little weaker than our 'early last season' team but a little stronger than our post-luci team.

poleon & mowatt possibly breaking through could be an interesting factor... 'the pole' i sense is destined to be one of those lower division guys who's quick & not much else but who nonetheless could be very useful on an occasional basis, mowatt i'm less sure about, possibly a bit more potential downside [e.g. we've seen so little, he might not even make it as a pro], but just from the odd comment or two i wonder if maybe more potential upside too?

overall it's hard to say. 8th-15th place feels about right... if you were talking about the prem this would be a ridiculously wide range but as we've discussed before, in this division a couple of results can make a huge differnce to your final league position so, well, there is a fair bit up for grabs, maybe...

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 am

the flying pig wrote:[i somehow forgot to mention stevie moz]

Yeah funny that, it's almost like he's utterly forgettable.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:35 am

tommydski wrote:it's almost like he's utterly forgettable.

Now maybe, but in a few years you will know him as a legend to rival the likes of Ray Wallace, Harpal Singh and Habib Habibou.

Porkchopexpress

Postby Porkchopexpress » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:52 am

Blackwhite wrote:

I was talking with a fan of Udinese B the other day, asked how he thought FFP would affect them, and was told they'd "be promoted before it was an issue; besides, we've signed all the best ones we've had on loan".

I now really want an asteroid to hit their coach. Let them rot down here and deal with the aftermath.

The smug bastard. Fingers crossed for the asteroid.
TERRY VENABLES.

London_White

Postby London_White » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Was FFP really bought in for the likes of the Championship?
I just thought it was some worried suits at the top European clubs wanting to make sure no one crashes their party as they inch closer to a European Super league or whatever they'll call it.

Disco Dan
Site Admin

Postby Disco Dan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:27 pm

London_White wrote:Was FFP really bought in for the likes of the Championship?
I just thought it was some worried suits at the top European clubs wanting to make sure no one crashes their party as they inch closer to a European Super league or whatever they'll call it.

You're confusing the two types of FFP. The first is the European FFP that Platini is banging on about: an attempt to level the European playing field and stop rich mentalists spending their way to top.

The second is the FL's own FFP measures. These are borne of the FL's dispute with HMRC and are designed to stop FL clubs spending beyond their means, all while racking up big debts to HMRC, which never get paid in full when clubs go into admin. Essentially they're fed up of the preferred creditors rule being tested in court and it's an attempt to get their house in order after so many clubs collapsed in the wake of the ITV Digital mess.

They're two completely different animals.

London_White

Postby London_White » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Disco Dan wrote:
London_White wrote:Was FFP really bought in for the likes of the Championship?

You're confusing the two types of FFP. The first is the European FFP that Platini is banging on about: an attempt to level the European playing field and stop rich mentalists spending their way to top.

The second is the FL's own FFP measures. These are borne of the FL's dispute with HMRC and are designed to stop FL clubs spending beyond their means, all while racking up big debts to HMRC, which never get paid in full when clubs go into admin. Essentially they're fed up of the preferred creditors rule being tested in court and it's an attempt to get their house in order after so many clubs collapsed in the wake of the ITV Digital mess.

They're two completely different animals.

Cheers Dan
Think I've been concentrating on who's playing and not who's paying.

Return to “The Square Ball”