o/t travel & tourism

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

o/t travel & tourism

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:38 am

was there ever a 'holidays' thread on here?

if not there should have been.

anyway, my first contribution - Nostell Priory and Parkland, Wakefield.

i went there yesterday morning, just because i was 'up north' for the week & wanted to get some use out of my national trust life member's card [an extravagant wedding present from an elderly relative on my wide's side - i think they cost about a grand & in 5 years i've used it no more than 5 times, assuming that i eke out another, say, 45 years on the planet & continue going about once a year i suppose it'll average out at £20 per visit so not amazing value].

pretty decent place overall, a nice garden & whatnot. i would recommend it to others.

but the thing that was a real eye-opener was the clientele - so many posh people in the south leeds area, a stone's throw from fev/ponte/wakey etc. where the heck did they all come from? is there some kind of secret tunnel direct from harrogate or ilkley or summat???

User avatar
OWETB
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 am
Location: Eating pig with the Prophet Mohammed

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby OWETB » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:43 am

the flying pig wrote:relative on my wide's side


Is that your pet name for her? Does she know?

As for posh, there is a hell of a lot of money around there.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 am

OWETB wrote:...As for posh, there is a hell of a lot of money around there.


yeah?

well, i've never been to either before but my impression when driving through was that ponte & fev might both be quite... well, fairly nice i suppose. can that be right?

User avatar
Ponte
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Between a rock and a hard place.

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby Ponte » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:52 pm

the flying pig wrote:well, i've never been to either before but my impression when driving through was that ponte & fev might both be quite... well, fairly nice i suppose. can that be right?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

User avatar
thechubbyone
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:18 am

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby thechubbyone » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Ponte is quite posh really*.

*Compared to Featherstone, Castleford and Knottingley

Bob
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Holidays for us are a £9.50 Sun holiday to the south west in a John Fowler establishment.

Breen is a cracking place for us working class chappies to spend a few days. :bounce:

I do apologize in advance because I suspect that it's not quite up to the standard which will be revealed on here but it suits me and my family.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby jackos » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 am

Bob wrote:Holidays for us are a £9.50 Sun holiday to the south west in a John Fowler establishment.

Breen is a cracking place for us working class chappies to spend a few days. :bounce:

I do apologize in advance because I suspect that it's not quite up to the standard which will be revealed on here but it suits me and my family.


Me n mine are off to stay at our kids place in Bramley for a week while hes away, followed by a week in a holiday rental up Headingley Tops. A great time will be had by all. Trips to York railway museum n Scarborough by train, fish n chips at Billy Murgs, days out to The Armories, Meanwood Park, Chevin, Kirkstall Abbey, n best of all, Elland Road.

Trying to knock the Swede out of the little buggers, they enjoy Yorkshire a damn site more more than they would a fortnight in Greece.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby the flying pig » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 am

jackos wrote:
Bob wrote:Holidays for us are a £9.50 Sun holiday to the south west in a John Fowler establishment.

Breen is a cracking place for us working class chappies to spend a few days. :bounce:

I do apologize in advance because I suspect that it's not quite up to the standard which will be revealed on here but it suits me and my family.


Me n mine are off to stay at our kids place in Bramley for a week while hes away, followed by a week in a holiday rental up Headingley Tops. A great time will be had by all. Trips to York railway museum n Scarborough by train, fish n chips at Billy Murgs, days out to The Armories, Meanwood Park, Chevin, Kirkstall Abbey, n best of all, Elland Road.

Trying to knock the Swede out of the little buggers, they enjoy Yorkshire a damn site more more than they would a fortnight in Greece.


yeah, with two kids now & me living [in london] far from my parents [yorks] & in-laws [devon] we seem to be falling into a pattern of using up a large slice of our holiday spending a week staying with each set of parents.

so i was 'up north' last week... york railway museum, bolton abbey, this place near wakey, the wildlife park near doncaster, uh, various stuff like the valley gardens in harrogate, some olde worlde pubs in york...

cheap & enjoyable.

as you say, a big advantage of being exiled from yorkshire is that when you go back you get to experience it with [kind of] a tourist's starry eyes rather than the jaded ones of a lifer.

User avatar
SimonB
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:54 am
Location: Peterborough
Contact:

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby SimonB » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Just has a weekend camping in Leicestershire near Rutland Water. Excellent countryside walks which the dog in particular loved and also has the Grainstore Brewery tap serving excellent real ale. Top weekend.
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

PETER O'POOLE
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby PETER O'POOLE » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 pm

I was born near just near Rutland Water mate, Sutton-Cum-Granby, just under Belvoir Castle. Try to make detour off the A1 whenever I can to Rutland Water, always strikes me as absolutely bloody lovely but presumed it was rose tinted glasses. Left when I was about two years old.

User avatar
Leeds0269
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby Leeds0269 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 pm

SimonB wrote:Just has a weekend camping in Leicestershire near Rutland Water. Excellent countryside walks which the dog in particular loved and also has the Grainstore Brewery tap serving excellent real ale. Top weekend.


Surely you mean "took the rangey up to balmoral and stayed in a lovely castle. The locaks were a bit oiky but the servant set the dogs on them so it was pleasant overall".

Hows you anyway mate, must be 6 years since we had that pint when I was working down near Peterborough!
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

User avatar
SimonB
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:54 am
Location: Peterborough
Contact:

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby SimonB » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 am

Leeds0269 wrote:
SimonB wrote:Just has a weekend camping in Leicestershire near Rutland Water. Excellent countryside walks which the dog in particular loved and also has the Grainstore Brewery tap serving excellent real ale. Top weekend.


Surely you mean "took the rangey up to balmoral and stayed in a lovely castle. The locaks were a bit oiky but the servant set the dogs on them so it was pleasant overall".

Hows you anyway mate, must be 6 years since we had that pint when I was working down near Peterborough!


Must be mate, and a fair while since we visited your disco after defeating waccoe :mrgreen:

And I was definitely in a tent rather than a castle, thought I would slum it for a while
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:18 am

Hello from Umbria! Can't be arsed to upload a photo just at this minute, but the view over the pool and the garden towards Spoleto is rather wonderful. Never even heard of the place two weeks ago and, after a bit of internet research and last-minute booking, we are here just outside an incredibly pretty town about two hours north-east of Rome.

Spoleto is a little hillside place with walls - technically a city, actually, though nowhere near big enough for that grand title - just filled with ancient, windy streets, loads of restaurants and fine views up and down the valley. It has a cathedral [natch], several impressive churches and three street escalators to take you up the hill to the castle if you can't be arsed walking. Very considerate.

It would be a great place for a romantic trip for two, too. Fly to Rome, get the train to Spoleto [maybe 90 mins?] and stay a long weekend in a hotel in the centre, preferably one with a terrace for breakfast/dinner. Loads to see and do.

Right, sod this: I'm off for a swim.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby Quiffy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 pm

typing this from the shade under a tree next to a tent in the dordogne. it's too hot and i paid £20 for the wifi for a week thinking there was a leeds game on telly sometime this week. there isn't and it's too hot.

apart from that, there are hills and stuff.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby Clacton white » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:33 pm

We went to Bavaria in May/June - rained every day ( time of the floods in Europe this year ) , but it didn't stop us going to Neuschwanstein castle , Munich , Zugspitz mountain( 10,000 ft almost ) and despite the weather we still thoroughly enjoyed ourselves .
Funny thing - exact same week last year we went to Lake Como and it didn't rain at all .

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby AndyPaul » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Quiffy wrote:typing this from the shade under a tree next to a tent in the dordogne. it's too hot and i paid £20 for the wifi for a week thinking there was a leeds game on telly sometime this week. there isn't and it's too hot.

apart from that, there are hills and stuff.


Is it hot?

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm

We drove from Surrey to Palma week before last, that was fun! (Actually it wasn't too bad as we did most of France overnight)

Left the wife and kids out there and flew back for 3 weeks work (plus the Brighton game and some sleep!).

Palmanova, been going to the same place for 11 years in various apartments in the same block, right next door is the hotel that they used for the inbetweeners movie. We've settled on a 2 bed place that the old bloke who owns it doesn't use in the summer, £350 a week, so we basically relocate out there for the while summer holidays.

Fly back out in a couple of weeks for more sun, then drive back.....which is nice!!

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby Quiffy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:46 pm

AndyPaul wrote:
Quiffy wrote:typing this from the shade under a tree next to a tent in the dordogne. it's too hot and i paid £20 for the wifi for a week thinking there was a leeds game on telly sometime this week. there isn't and it's too hot.

apart from that, there are hills and stuff.


Is it hot?

if you had storms like they have here in middlesborough you'd think it was armagheddon time. the sky at nighty has been brighter than darker.

cheers andy
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
ARDS
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby ARDS » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Two weeks Sunny beach Bulgaria.
Cheap average meal for 4 over the trip £40 with drinks.
Went to Bulgarian restaurant away from main strip,
4 main meals
2 desserts
2 large beer's
4 local white rums
8 soft drinks ( fanta-coke)
1 Irish coffee
77 Lev which equates to around £35 stirling .

Cheap enough for a Yorkshire man. :drunk:
Forza Leeds Utd

Bob
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: o/t travel & tourism

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Quiffy wrote:typing this from the shade under a tree next to a tent in the dordogne. it's too hot and i paid £20 for the wifi for a week thinking there was a leeds game on telly sometime this week. there isn't and it's too hot.

apart from that, there are hills and stuff.


It's just east of Tamworth in case your're all wondering :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dordon


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Blackwhite, Google [Bot] and 10 guests