Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:56 pm

dirty leeds wrote:I also like ALDI's spinach and feta pie.

must admit i like the 2009 vintage, 2010 not so much.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Quiffy wrote:

As you have so often sagely remarked, it's all about the terroir. [They should never have moved.]

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Ontolly wrote:
Quiffy wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Addicted to ALDI cauliflower cheese pies.

this is virtue signalling squareball style :thumbd:

Too fucking right. He's actually rather partial to a Waitrose venison in brandy sauce pithivier :mrgreen:

about as convincing as William Hague and his 14 pints a day after a shift at t'factory.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:10 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Quiffy wrote:

As you have so often sagely remarked, it's all about the terroire. [They should never have moved.]

often? anyone would think you and vamps took me seriously with your wine club that i want to join.

you ought to. we've re-arranged our summer holiday to allow us to visit out favourite viniculturist in france who i know personally.

i didn't want to mention that, like i don't my mate who's won a bafta. :mrgreen:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm

Quiffy wrote: ... we've re-arranged our summer holiday to allow us to visit out favourite viniculturist in france who i know personally.

i didn't want to mention that, like i don't my mate who's won a bafta. :mrgreen:

whom

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm

:mrgreen:

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 pm

earl champion, the top man in vouvray. we did the vouvray festival about 6 years in a row a few years ago whilst camping nearby. it's normally red hot, around 30+ degrees at that time of year there, too hot for a pale northerner, and they have a wine festival in the relatively cold troglodyte caves above the loire. it costs $3 euros to get in which gets you a free glass and a piece of paper listing all the 20+ sellers. you go round the beautiful cool atmosphere where it's rude not to sample the wines they offer. the first always tastes great and then you try the rest before going back to the first which now tastes average. we'd buy about 18 bottles, stick them across the botom of the boot and drive home a couple of days later. trouble is we now holiday a few days earlier and miss the festival, where our faces had become recognised, but as we almost always bought from earl champion the last time we were in the area we went to his farm and bought 18 bottles of the 'methode traditionale brut' for $6 a bottle from his dad and it's fantastic. the only trouble is stopping it cooking on a campsite.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:32 pm

Quiffy wrote:earl champion, the top man in vouvray. we did the vouvray festival about 6 years in a row a few years ago whilst camping nearby. it's normally red hot, around 30+ degrees at that time of year there, too hot for a pale northerner, and they have a wine festival in the relatively cold troglodyte caves above the loire. it costs $3 euros to get in which gets you a free glass and a piece of paper listing all the 20+ sellers. you go round the beautiful cool atmosphere where it's rude not to sample the wines they offer. the first always tastes great and then you try the rest before going back to the first which now tastes average. we'd buy about 18 bottles, stick them across the botom of the boot and drive home. trouble is we now holiday a few days earlier and miss the festival, but as we almost always bought from earl champion the last time we were in the area we went to his farm and bought 18 bottles of the 'methode traditionale brut' for $6 a bottle from his dad and it's fantastic. the only trouble is stopping it cooking.

So true. :lol:
Sounds like fun.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:04 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
the flying pig wrote:Duvel [i've had a sensible 1-2 bottles for three out of the last four nights] really is a world class brew.

Everything about it is perfect - underlying flavours, carbonation, great variation if you drink a bottle that's of a slightly different age or temperature, etc etc.

Must buy some more today.

A crazy thing is that if you go to Belgium they sell it in every Lidl or crappy local hypermarkt, with the UK market still, unbelievably, dominated by Carling/Fosters style swill.

Agreed. Wish they'd do it in bigger packs for a bit of a price reduction. It's always £2 each and that's yer lot where I am.

currently 20% off in Waitrose, still expensive but acceptably so now...

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:29 am

the flying pig wrote:Duvel... currently 20% off in Waitrose, still expensive but acceptably so now...

:thumbl:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:09 pm

any recommendations for midweek pub lunch within say 5 ish miles of junction 44 of the A1 (wetherby/tadcaster etc)??

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:12 pm

Sainsbury's currently doing a very nice Cune crianza for £7.50. All Tempranillo. Absolutely delicious with my Moussaka tonight. Great value at that price. Cune wines are generally top notch and a lot more expensive.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Sainsbury's currently doing a very nice Cune crianza for £7.50. All Tempranillo. Absolutely delicious with my Moussaka tonight. Great value at that price. Cune wines are generally top notch and a lot more expensive.

I know the font is a krumpli PTSD cuntgasm, but it's CVNE innit?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:09 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Sainsbury's currently doing a very nice Cune crianza for £7.50. All Tempranillo. Absolutely delicious with my Moussaka tonight. Great value at that price. Cune wines are generally top notch and a lot more expensive.

I know the font is a krumpli PTSD cuntgasm, but it's CVNE innit?

Yeah, it is - 'V' for Vinicola - but the way they write it 'freehand' on the label looks like a 'u' and that's how I've always thought of it. Just a bad habit. I could drink lot of it - which would be two bad habits [to go with all the others].
:D

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:16 pm

It's a 2016 vintage - well, it would have to be, being a Crianza.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:17 pm

So there.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:21 pm

the flying pig wrote:any recommendations for midweek pub lunch within say 5 ish miles of junction 44 of the A1 (wetherby/tadcaster etc)??

Castle at Spofforth is fairly reliable. You can book a table outside too which is useful at the moment

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 pm

Did an auberge in the Michelin guide tonight and ate snails.

I'm not feeling any more cultured. :thumbd:

The food was special though. :thumbl:

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:57 pm

I genuinely, unironically love snails. No idea whether I’d like them without shitloads of garlic butter or not, but that feels besides the point.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:I genuinely, unironically love snails. No idea whether I’d like them without shitloads of garlic butter or not, but that feels besides the point.

It was a dish with mushrooms in a creamy garlic sauce where it wasn't immediately apparent which slightly chewy black thing you had in your mouth, which definitely helped me overcome my unease. The sauce was sublime, so I'm still not convinced about the quality of the snails. Another four good performances in different dishes and I may then think snails are good enough for my public support.

It may have just been a flash in the pan.

Return to “The Square Ball”