Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Still Hates Gordon Watson

Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Sun May 03, 2020 10:32 am

Leeds0269 wrote:
Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:
Leeds0269 wrote:Saltaire brewery are delivering bottles of their lovely beer free over £20 order anywhere in west yorks. Love a nice blonde myself.

They're even doing kegs if you fancy that sort of business.

Gutted that Saltaire are only delivering in West Yorks not nationally as I’m a big fan of several of their beers but particularly Cascade.

Got a nice delivery from Little Valley in Hebden Bridge instead - they do some really smashing beers, especially Tod’s Blonde.

Here's their delivery map. Goes reasonably far I reckon. Agree on Cascade, it's a lovely beer but I've been enjoying 'South Island' recently, a NZ pale ale.

Alas, I’m in That London.

metalsmurf

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby metalsmurf » Sun May 03, 2020 11:51 am

I'm in the little indentation that cuts in between Tod and Ripponden, think I could talk them round?
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Leeds0269

Postby Leeds0269 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:56 pm

metalsmurf wrote:I'm in the little indentation that cuts in between Tod and Ripponden, think I could talk them round?

Give them a ring, they are really helpful. I think they'd do it if you put in a decent order!
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 20, 2020 11:50 am

Duvel [i've had a sensible 1-2 bottles for three out of the last four nights] really is a world class brew.

Everything about it is perfect - underlying flavours, carbonation, great variation if you drink a bottle that's of a slightly different age or temperature, etc etc.

Must buy some more today.

A crazy thing is that if you go to Belgium they sell it in every Lidl or crappy local hypermarkt, with the UK market still, unbelievably, dominated by Carling/Fosters style swill.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm

the flying pig wrote:Duvel [i've had a sensible 1-2 bottles for three out of the last four nights] really is a world class brew.

Everything about it is perfect - underlying flavours, carbonation, great variation if you drink a bottle that's of a slightly different age or temperature, etc etc.

A crazy thing is that if you go to Belgium they sell it in every Lidl or crappy local hypermarkt, with the UK market still, unbelievably, dominated by Carling/Fosters style swill.

Agreed. Wish they'd do it in bigger packs for a bit of a price reduction. It's always £2 each and that's yer lot where I am.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
the flying pig wrote:Duvel [i've had a sensible 1-2 bottles for three out of the last four nights] really is a world class brew.

Agreed. Wish they'd do it in bigger packs for a bit of a price reduction. It's always £2 each and that's yer lot where I am.

amen, brother.

£2.05 in my local Waitrose.

a few places in 'town' have it on 'draft', I've been planning to get involved one of these days.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Mate of mine always buys Duvel at a place we go in Stockholm when he’s up from Lisbon, pays 15 quid a pop. Never understood it. Tastes like Barley wine. Expensive gut rot.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri May 22, 2020 6:27 am

jackos wrote:Mate of mine always buys Duvel at a place we go in Stockholm when he’s up from Lisbon, plays 15 quid a pop. Never understood it. Tastes like Barley wine. Expensive gut rot.

I feel gouty just reading about Duvel!
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 22, 2020 7:23 am

I tend to find Belgian beers too sweet/malty for my tastes. One or two can be nice but gets a bit sickly after a while. I guess I could just drink less.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 22, 2020 7:52 am

Reading the above critical comments on Duvel beer I find myself musing, 'What would Troy do?'

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 am

dirty leeds wrote:Reading the above critical comments on Duvel beer I find myself musing, 'What would Troy do?'

Fairly certain Troy would drink Heineken, because . . . oh, never mind.
HM Collector Of Parcels

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 22, 2020 8:17 am

:mrgreen:

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 22, 2020 10:41 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Reading the above critical comments on Duvel beer I find myself musing, 'What would Troy do?'

heineken!? it's not that bad is it? i'm not a lager officianado, not really an officianado of anything although budweiser does seem to have a strong similarity to fizzy water, but as most beer in cans and bottles is rubbish compared to hamdpulled pints, i've started drinking lager at home on a saturday at 3pm when i watch leeds. my can of choice has been stella, basically cos i need to drink quantity (nervous energy) and don't want to get smashed in the early afternoon by drinking anything expensive. anyway, to get to the point i was surprised to see regular heineken steps in at 5% nowadays which is more than stella, so i tried some the other day and it was, errm, refreshing. is this a faux pas? or are you just being a snotty cunt eric? :D
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 am

I've just seen a story saying Bella Italia is going to go bust and disappear, and was reminded of the German colleague of mine who on settling into his new British hometown told us all proudly he and wife had found this lovely authentic little Italian bistro called.....
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 22, 2020 10:56 am

Quiffy wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:

heineken!? it's not that bad is it? i'm not a lager officianado, not really an officianado of anything although budweiser does seem to have a strong similarity to fizzy water, but as most beer in cans and bottles is rubbish compared to hamdpulled pints, i've started drinking lager at home on a saturday at 3pm when i watch leeds. my can of choice has been stella, basically cos i need to drink quantity (nervous energy) and don't want to get smashed in the early afternoon by drinking anything expensive. anyway, to get to the point i was surprised to see regular heineken steps in at 5% nowadays which is more than stella, so i tried some the other day and it was, errm, refreshing. is this a faux pas? or are you just being a snotty cunt eric? :D

Don't know about 'most' - could be true - but there's plenty of great beer in bottles just as good or better than hand-pulled pints. Depends what you drink, obvs.
For example, Adnam's Broadside in bottle is about 6.6% and bloody lovely [if you like strong dark ales]. On tap, it's at a lower percentage but also very nice. It's easier to find [for me] in bottle and also considerably cheaper.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 22, 2020 11:01 am

Quiffy wrote:heineken!? it's not that bad is it? i'm not a lager officianado, not really an officianado of anything although budweiser does seem to have a strong similarity to fizzy water, but as most beer in cans and bottles is rubbish compared to hamdpulled pints, i've started drinking lager at home on a saturday at 3pm when i watch leeds. my can of choice has been stella, basically cos i need to drink quantity (nervous energy) and don't want to get smashed in the early afternoon by drinking anything expensive. anyway, to get to the point i was surprised to see regular heineken steps in at 5% nowadays which is more than stella, so i tried some the other day and it was, errm, refreshing. is this a faux pas? or are you just being a snotty cunt eric? :D

It's a tricky area I guess. I s'pose in order of priorities I would say:

1. Absolutely nothing on the planet beats a pint of fresh, well-kept ale from a cask. But current restrictions mean no-one's tasted that for months
2. Otherwise I favour darker craft and Belgian beers, whilst maintaining a healthy disdain for any sort of up its own arse mango and coconut craft IPA type shit.
3. In terms of bulk-buy supermarket keep-in-the-fridge go-to stuff I tend to rotate Budvar, Moretti, Estrella and the like.

The last category are all factory mass-produced in industrial quantities, same as Heineken, obviously. Are they better? Yeah, I reckon; less carbonated and more taste, I'd say.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 22, 2020 12:38 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:
1. Absolutely nothing on the planet beats a pint of fresh, well-kept ale from a cask. But current restrictions mean no-one's tasted that for months
2. Otherwise I favour darker craft and Belgian beers, whilst maintaining a healthy disdain for any sort of up its own arse mango and coconut craft IPA type shit.
3. In terms of bulk-buy supermarket keep-in-the-fridge go-to stuff I tend to rotate Budvar, Moretti, Estrella and the like.

The last category are all factory mass-produced in industrial quantities, same as Heineken, obviously. Are they better? Yeah, I reckon; less carbonated and more taste, I'd say.

i'm on board with all of that. moretti can be the best of those lagers imo. i say 'can be' because lager somehow takes on a different taste depending on what day it is with me. i had a moretti in the sun when i was parched a year ago that tasted spectacular. likewise i'd never appreciated them german pilsners much until i got to germany last summer and drunk them from a stein out in the sun. i dunno of any other drink that seems to be such a blank canvas.

...and i'll be looking for some of that adnam's broadside this weekend, thanks Dirty. i like them strong and dark, just not that tall before you get any ideas.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 22, 2020 12:40 pm

Quiffy wrote:i'm on board with all of that. moretti can be the best of those lagers imo. i say 'can be' because lager somehow takes on a different taste depending on what day it is with me. i had a moretti in the sun when i was parched a year ago that tasted spectacular. likewise i'd never appreciated them german pilsners much until i got to germany last summer and drunk them from a stein out in the sun. i dunno of any other drink that seems to be such a blank canvas.

Never thought about it like that but I think I agree.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 pm

Place and circumstances play a massive part in forming our tastes, everything is subjective, but Urquell is the best Eurolager by a country mile.
Fact!
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Place and circumstances play a massive part in forming our tastes, everything is subjective, but Urquell is the best Eurolager by a country mile.
Fact!

Now this I have thought about. Staropramen is up there as well, imo, but the Czechs definitely Do It Right.

Return to “The Square Ball”