Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ponte

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Ponte » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:34 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Been doing some experimenting with vegan fake foods and shit lately. Not sure I really buy into the ethos of pretend meat, but random successes:

- Linda’s chorizo sausages are ace
- M&S no chicken Kiev is actually quite nice
- Plant kitchen (maybe) do shawarma pieces. On the basis that doner hasn’t got much to do with meat either, it’s pretty ok.
- M&S no smoked salmon sandwich. Bizarrely, it’s smoked pickled carrot but it sort of works.

The kebab ‘meat’ is bob on
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Was it ever meat anyway?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:48 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Been doing some experimenting with vegan fake foods and shit lately. Not sure I really buy into the ethos of pretend meat, but random successes:

- Linda’s chorizo sausages are ace
- M&S no chicken Kiev is actually quite nice
- Plant kitchen (maybe) do shawarma pieces. On the basis that doner hasn’t got much to do with meat either, it’s pretty ok.
- M&S no smoked salmon sandwich. Bizarrely, it’s smoked pickled carrot but it sort of works.

Have you tried Jack fruit yet? Done right it's supposed to resemble pulled pork type stuff
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:01 pm

Pulled pork and a jack joke something something.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:25 pm

The issue is ‘doing it right’

Jackfruit sits firmly in the Okra category: fuck it up even a little and it’s the devil’s food
I like it. What is it?

Mindo

Postby Mindo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:00 pm

Not vegan (I cant give up cheese), but I really like Linda's mozzarella 1/4 pounder burgers. May prefer them to real burgers, in fact.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Mindo wrote:Not vegan (I cant give up cheese), but I really like Linda's mozzarella 1/4 pounder burgers.

They are cracking tits, it has to be said.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:14 am

For DL, transferred from the other thread:

dirty leeds wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Ponte - topic drift alert!

(FWIW Mrs O makes her own turmeric / ginger / lemon tonic thing to help with inflammation. Definitely does some good)

In what proportions? Or is it like KFC, a secret?

Grate 400g ginger and 100g turmeric. Hideous job, wear gloves. Heat 2 litres of water to 60 deg, turn the heat off. Add the grated shit and 10 peppercorns, let it stew for 2 hours or so. Sieve all the crap out. Add the juice of 4 lemons and honey to taste, maybe 2 tbsp.

It’s important not to overheat the ginger and turmeric. Keep it in the fridge, drink a shot glassful daily.

I have it too, and noticed a reduction in general joint pain, particularly first thing in the morning after a week or so. Aches come back if I stop taking it.
HM Collector Of Parcels

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:41 am

eric olthwaite wrote:For DL, transferred from the other thread:

dirty leeds wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Ponte - topic drift alert!

(FWIW Mrs O makes her own turmeric / ginger / lemon tonic thing to help with inflammation. Definitely does some good)

In what proportions? Or is it like KFC, a secret?

Grate 400g ginger and 100g turmeric. Hideous job, wear gloves. Heat 2 litres of water to 60 deg, turn the heat off. Add the grated shit and 10 peppercorns, let it stew for 2 hours or so. Sieve all the crap out. Add the juice of 4 lemons and honey to taste, maybe 2 tbsp.

It’s important not to overheat the ginger and turmeric. Keep it in the fridge, drink a shot glassful daily.

I have it too, and noticed a reduction in general joint pain, particularly first thing in the morning after a week or so. Aches come back if I stop taking it.

Cheers Eric.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:44 am

I've raved about this US brewery before on here, so this story is very encouraging for your chances of picking one of these beers off a UK shelf.
KBS, Backwoods Bastard, and most importantly CBS, BUY ON SIGHT.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:49 am

Blackwhite wrote:I've raved about this US brewery before on here, so this story is very encouraging for your chances of picking one of these beers off a UK shelf.

All Day IPA is great for the summer BBQ season. Not keen on the darker stuff (careful!)
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:26 am

I'll keep an eye out. They're on my Try On Sight list whenever I find myself in some dive bar with a leather bound menu of bottles in the cellar...

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 am

Blackwhite wrote:I've raved about this US brewery before on here, so this story is very encouraging for your chances of picking one of these beers off a UK shelf.

Decent brewery :drunk:

I have had -

All day IPA
Centennial IPA
Dirty Bastard
Mosaic Promise
Azacca IPA
Pale Joe

I also am not a great fan of darker things....
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:53 pm

SimonB wrote:

Decent brewery :drunk:

I have had -

All day IPA
Centennial IPA
Dirty Bastard
Mosaic Promise
Azacca IPA
Pale Joe

I also am not a great fan of darker things....

Yeah, you and Kiko both. :D
So I won't be recommending that rather nice dark Beligian ale they have in M&S just now. It's £2.50 for a little bottle, but currently 3 for a fiver. And an 8%-er as I recall.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm

When you change your diet it’s funny how quickly all the tastes you think you have change.

I gave up diary milk about six months ago and if I have it now in coffee it actually tastes weirdly unpleasant. I’m going the same way with butter.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:54 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:When you change your diet it’s funny how quickly all the tastes you think you have change.

I gave up diary milk about six months ago and if I have it now in coffee it actually tastes weirdly unpleasant. I’m going the same way with butter.

Horrible, init? I have Oatly Barista in coffee.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm

Not sure if you do restaurants on here?

Anyway, went out to Hawksmoor for the first time last night and had a rib eye with grilled bone marrow. It was fucking epic, definitely worth a try if you have one close by.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:43 pm

Wakefield White wrote:Not sure if you do restaurants on here?

Anyway, went out to Hawksmoor for the first time last night and had a rib eye with grilled bone marrow. It was fucking epic, definitely worth a try if you have one close by.

I was at the one in Manchester the night the waiter sold a 6K bottle of wine for £60, unfortunately it wasn't to us. Steak was great.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:50 pm

Ponte wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:When you change your diet it’s funny how quickly all the tastes you think you have change.

Her: Make us a cup of tea
Me: No problem. Builders?
Her: Rooibos and oat milk please.
Me: That’s not fucking tea.
I like it. What is it?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Devi wrote:
Ponte wrote:

Her: Make us a cup of tea
Me: No problem. Builders?
Her: Rooibos and oat milk please.
Me: That’s not fucking tea.

Señora Musta is a tea fanatic. At the moment she is mainly drinking a stupidly expensive green tea that only grows on the south facing slopes of a valley in Eastern Japan, is kept in the shade for 30 days before harvesting, and is infused at 60° for three minutes.
Fuckin mental.
Tastes ok if you like green tea. Not patch on t' Taylor's.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Return to “The Square Ball”