Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Proud to be Leeds

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:12 pm

topbin wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:I think our 'slow' approach to going vegetarian is based on the idea of getting taste buds used to stuff. So far, we've more or less abandoned red meat and given up on stuff like roast dinners - which is also to do with going off fat, I suppose - and 'stodge': shepherd's pie and the like; so maybe I'll be persuaded about halloumi given time.

We've gone broadly vegetarian in the bin household too - not forcing it on the kids but generally try to be vegetarian at home and for standard meals. I do allow myself the excess of meat if I'm being taken out to a nice restaurant or something. I figure going down from 95% of meals to about 2% of meals having meat in them is still a good enough change for now.

That's what I was doing too. I didn't like the idea of making other people 'go out of their way' if I was going round for dinner. But for the past three of four months I've been full on veggie (as well as mostly diary free too).

Also, halloumi is great. I think I have a cheese making kit at home somewhere, so will be making a batch of my own sometime soon!
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Why the holy fuck would you make halloumi when cottage and mozzarella are so easy?

(Do your own "your own cheese" joke, thanks, busy watching TV)
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Blackwhite wrote:(Do your own "your own cheese" joke, thanks, busy watching TV)

You watching Cheeses of Nazareth?

Ok so not my own joke but just like fuck off right?
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:33 pm

had a couple of bottles of plonk this week that have been a very pleasant surprise..

Lidl's cotes de gascogne white..£4.99

castillo de diablo carmenere red... £6.50 on offer in my local shop

would recommend :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks for skipping those boring extensive tasting notes, Q :thumbl:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Thanks for skipping those boring extensive tasting notes, Q :thumbl:

you don't trust me?

ok carmenere, first time i' can remember having that grape, it's got depth, sort of dark and quite different in flavour, can't quite describe it's difference though, it's a good leathery flavour, which i bet you don't see in any tasting notes. i generally like cabernets, if you do it's worth a try.

the cotes de gascogne; i've had a few that are too harsh and dry, this isn't. it's a mix of columbard and sauvignon, so it's sharp and refreshing.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Shit, this might set a quality standard Q, I apologise, was just pulling your pud.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 pm

9 course tasting menu with wine matching at Pollen Street Social in London last night.

Bloody lush!
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:41 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:9 course tasting menu with wine matching at Pollen Street Social in London last night.

Bloody lush!

Get her etc.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:58 am

Blackwhite wrote:Shit, this might set a quality standard Q, I apologise, was just pulling your pud.

:mrgreen: I know. Just saw it as a challenge. If I hadn't drunk most of the bottle beforehand you wouldn't have had a reply.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:01 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:9 course tasting menu with wine matching at Pollen Street Social in London last night.

Bloody lush!

Sounds wonderful, I love evenings like that
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 pm

By way of experimentation, tried vegan ‘Italian cheese’ in lieu of Parmesan.

Utterly fucking diabolical. Don’t ever contemplate it.

FER

Postby FER » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Took the family out to Billy Bob's last weekend. I partook of their Coney Island Hot Dog, which is a chilli dog covered in melted cheese with a massive portion of jalapeno sauce slapped on the top. Half way through the meal, #1 looked at me and asked why my face had gone so red. Shit was hot, man!

Decent prices, okay fodder and a massive arsed playbarn out back for the nippers to go nuts in. It was, however, completely fucking rammed! So glad I booked ahead as I can't imagine the waiting time.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Rambo the randy pig

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:11 pm

As an antidote to all the veganism on here I've just lunched on fresh venison kidneys.

Was coming back from dropping no1 daughter somewhere this morning when I saw at the side of the road a dead deer. Result thinks Rambo. Unfortunately no2 daughter was in the car & she's strangely squeamish so I had to drop her off at home before going back. Luckily it was still there.

The boy got to watch me gralloching it which was good for him. He's seen a deer I shot being butchered after being hung for a few days & he's seen me gutting rabbits in the field after shooting them but that's just a quick slit and a flick. Gralloching a whole deer is something different so good education.

So it'll be skinning and butchering it at the weekend. it's quite young so a couple of days hanging will suffice then I've got pan fried steaks with redcurrant & rosemary, venison wellington, salt & pepper ribs and much more to look forward to.

The kidney's were fab with a dash of Worcester sauce and a couple of fried eggs.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Wednesday
Sunny
Pub
Guinness
Fish finger sammich
Winning at life
I like it. What is it?

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Devi wrote:Wednesday
Sunny
Pub
Guinness
Fish finger sammich
Winning at life

Ive got

Wednesday

Cloudy
Working
Coffee
Banana
And feeling really fucking bored
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Any of you cunts used Yotam Ottolenghi recipes? I've seen some interesting things but, fuck me, it's all a bit, "Heat 38.9ml of olive from the western half of Sicily to 43.3 degrees"

Is it worth the effort? Or do you just take the idea and wing it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:48 pm

I have mate, and so has my wife. One of her favourite things to cook for a party is one of his.

We're scientists, so perhaps this is relevant. If he starts wanting fractions of a microlitre, we got it covered.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:06 pm

FER wrote:Took the family out to Billy Bob's last weekend. I partook of their Coney Island Hot Dog, which is a chilli dog covered in melted cheese with a massive portion of jalapeno sauce slapped on the top. Half way through the meal, #1 looked at me and asked why my face had gone so red. Shit was hot, man!

Decent prices, okay fodder and a massive arsed playbarn out back for the nippers to go nuts in. It was, however, completely fucking rammed! So glad I booked ahead as I can't imagine the waiting time.

Was your intention to make this post sound like a living hell?

FER

Postby FER » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:
FER wrote:Took the family out to Billy Bob's last weekend. I partook of their Coney Island Hot Dog, which is a chilli dog covered in melted cheese with a massive portion of jalapeno sauce slapped on the top. Half way through the meal, #1 looked at me and asked why my face had gone so red. Shit was hot, man!

Was your intention to make this post sound like a living hell?

No. It was actually alright.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Return to “The Square Ball”